Dr. Charles Lord
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
RD07, Mining Block
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 7888
Charles Lord is a Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield and a member of the Dynamics Research Group. He holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering along with minors in Mathematics and Physics from Pittsburgh State University in the USA. During and after the successful completion of his Masters, he worked in industry on national and international Space and Defence related programmes. After working in industry, he began and completed his PhD in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield on the topic of vibrational damping for friction-based systems. His expertise focuses vibrational passive damping modelling, reduced frictional finite elements and nonlinear dynamics.
- friction induced vibrations
- nonlinear modal analysis
- joint dynamics
Passive damping systems
- frictional systems - layered composites, braided structures, mesh structures
- porous systems
- regenerative impact systems (bubbles)
Hybrid damping systems
- visco-elastic filled frictional systems
- adaptive and morphing systems
- coupled structures
Multiscale modelling for dynamical systems
- reduction of nonlinear systems
- element formulations for nonlinear systems
Novel composite materials
- metal matrix
- strain rate dependent matrix
Finite element for large models
- quick modal strategies - component mode synthesis, super elements
- formulation of reduced elements
MEC6009: Finite Element Analysis with ANSYS
MEC6440: Advanced Finite Element Modelling
MEC6016: Advanced Experiments and Modelling
MEC326: Structural Vibrations
AER385: Aerospace Group Design Project
- Asker H, Rongong J & Lord C (2018) Dynamic properties of unbonded, multi-strand beams subjected to flexural loading. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 101, 168-181. View this article in WRRO
- Gonzalez FA, Badilita A-M, Baker A, Cho Y-H, Dhot N, Fedun V, Hare C, He T, Hobbs M, Javed M, Livesey H, Lord C, Panoutsos G, Permyakov A, Pope S, Portnell M, Rhodes L, Sharma R, Taras P, Taylor J, Tilbrook R, Verth G, Wrigley SN, Yaqoob M, Cook R, McLaughlin J, Morton R, Scullion E, Shelyag S, Hamilton A, Zharkov S, Jess D & Wrigley M (2017) Project SunbYte: solar astronomy on a budget. Astronomy and Geophysics, 58(2), 2.24-2.25. View this article in WRRO
- Lord CE & Rongong JA (2016) A tangential microslip model for circularly and elliptically loaded structures. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 230(6), 900-909. View this article in WRRO
- Lord C & Huang Z (2015) The Mechanical Properties and the Influence of Parameters for Metallic Closed-Cell Foam Subjected to High-Strain Rates. Advanced Materials Research, 1119, 799-806. View this article in WRRO
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Blakey S & Lord C (2014) Comparison of Vibrations and Emissions of Conventional Jet Fuel with Stressed 100% SPK and Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel. Aerospace, 1(2), 52-66. View this article in WRRO
- Javed A (2013) Modal characteristics-based damage identification in repeating structures. Research and Applications in Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation - Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, SEMC 2013, 2315-2320.
- Lord CE, Rongong JA & Hodzic A (2011) The Behaviour of Naturally Debonded Composites Due to Bending Using a Meso-Level Model. Applied Composite Materials, 1-12.
- Hodzic A, Lord CE & Rongong JA () LINEARIZED MATERIAL PROPERTIES OF NONLINEAR INTERFACIAL CONTACT FOR LAYERED COMPOSITES. Advanced Composite Letters, 20(2), 37-40.
Conference proceedings papers
- Gardner P, Lord C & Barthorpe RJ (2018) An evaluation of validation metrics for probabilistic model outputs. ASME 2018 Verification and Validation Symposium, VVS 2018
- Gardner P, Barthorpe RJ & Lord C (2017) Bayesian calibration and bias correction for forward model-driven SHM. Structural Health Monitoring 2017: Real-Time Material State Awareness and Data-Driven Safety Assurance - Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, IWSHM 2017, Vol. 2 (pp 2019-2027)
- Papatheou V, Lord C, Dervilis N, Wagg DJ & Worden K (2016) An exploratory study of the suitability of a wind turbine blade as a nonlinear demonstrator. ISMA2016 View this article in WRRO
- Tang N, Rongong J, Lord C & Sims N (2016) Experimental investigation and modeling of dynamic performance of wave springs. Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, 5 September 2016 - 7 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Asker H, Rongong J & Lord C (2016) Mathematical and numerical evaluation of the damping behaviour for a multi-strand bar. Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Structural Control, 11 July 2016 - 13 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Lord C, Tang N & Rongong J (2016) Damping of metallic wool with embedded rigid body motion amplifiers. Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Structural Control View this article in WRRO
- (2016) The development of a damage model for the use in machine learning driven SHM and comparison with conventional SHM Methods. Proceedings of ISMA 2016 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD2016 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 3333-3346)
- (2016) Stiffness and damping of ordered frictional mesh material. ICSV 2016 - 23rd International Congress on Sound and Vibration: From Ancient to Modern Acoustics
- Lord C & Rongong J (2015) A microslip model for layered structures subjected to bending. Vibroengineering Procedia, Vol. 6 (pp 341-345)
- (2014) Effect of novel alternative fuels and compositions on vibrations of a gas turbine engine. 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2014
- (2014) Dynamic mechanical properties of carbon nanotube-peek nanocomposite. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- (2013) A single layer constitutive model for the dynamics and vibration damping of layered built-up structures using microslip and macroslip models. Collection of Technical Papers - AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference
- Lord CE, Rongong JA & Hodzic A (2011) The behavior of naturally debonded composites due to bending using a meso level model. DFC11 (Deformation and Fracture of Composites), Cambridge, DFC11 & SI5. Cambridge, UK, 13 April 2011 - 15 April 2011.
- (2011) The use of layered composites for passive vibration damping. Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, Vol. 3 (pp 289-298)
- Lord CE, Rongong JA & Hodzic A (2010) Linearized Material Properties of Nonlinear Interfacial Contact for Layered Composites. International Conference on Interfaces & Interphases in Multicomponent Materials Conference. Sheffield, UK, 1 September 2010 - 3 September 2010.
- Lord CL, Rongong JA & Hodzic A (2010) Linearised material properties of nonlinear interfacial contact for laminate composites. 4th Materials KTN, Societal Challenges – Material Solutions. London, 22 April 2010.
- Lord CE, Rongong JA & Hodzic A (2010) Effective bulk properties of layered composites with 1D interfacial bonds. BSSM, New approaches for performance definition of composite materials and structures. Teddington, UK, 11 March 2010.
- Asker HA, Rongong JA & Lord CE () Stiffness and loss factor of unbonded, multi-strand beams under flexural deformation. International Conference on Engineering Vibration. Ljubljana, Slovenia, 7 September 2015 - 10 September 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Roy S, Khandelwal B & Lord CE () Influence of production pathways and sources of different fuels on Combustion Instabilities of a Gas Turbine Engine, 27 July 2015 - 29 July 2015.
- Kaka DO, Rongong JA, Hodzic A & Lord CE () Dynamic mechanical properties of woven carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic composite. 20th International Conference on Composite Materials. Copenhagen, Denmark, 19 July 2015 - 24 July 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Lord CE & Rongong JA () A tangential microslip model for circularly and elliptically loaded structures. Noise and Vibration – Emerging Technologies (NOVEM2015). Dubrovnik, Croatia, 13 April 2015 - 15 April 2015.
- Lord CE () The mechanical response for metallic closed-cell foam at high-strain rates. International Conference on Mechanical Properties of Materials. Barcelona, Spain, 18 December 2014 - 20 December 2014.
- Rehman AU, Shah FH, Nazar S, Lord CE & Javed A () Modal characteristics-based damage identification in repeating structures. 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation. Cape Town, South Africa, 2 September 2013 - 4 September 2013.
- Lord C, Tang N & Rongong J () EACS 2016 paper - Damping of metallic wool with embedded rigid body motion amplifiers
- Asker H, Rongong J & Lord C () EACS 2016 paper - Mathematical and numerical evaluation of the damping behaviour for a multi-strand bar
- Gardner P, Barthorpe R & Lord C () EACS 2016 paper - QUANTIFICATION OF UNCERTAINTY FOR EXPERIMENTALLY OBTAINED MODAL PARAMETERS IN THE CREATION OF A ROBUST DAMAGE MODEL