Dr James Meredith
University of Sheffield
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 7809
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 7890
James Meredith is a lecturer in composites in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. His research focuses on the manufacture and experimental characterisation of composite materials with a view to sustainability, cost and performance at environmental extremes. His published research on sustainable materials such as natural fibre and recycled carbon fibre composites led to these materials being showcased on the Lola/Drayson racing Le Mans Prototype that broke the sub 1000 kg electric vehicle land speed record in 2013.
James is interested in the development of novel manufacturing processes and experimental characterisation of composites via optical, thermal and X-ray techniques including synchrotron tomography and diffraction. His current funded projects include understanding the low temperature performance of carbon fibre composites in lighter than air (hybrid airship) vehicles, automation of composites manufacture and use of recycled composites for domestic applications. He has a particular interest in high strain rate behaviour of composites from crash velocities through machining (intermediate) to blast and impact protection (high).
He lectures in engineering design and advanced composite materials.
James's research focuses on materials innovation, manufacturing strategy and quality systems across the medical, automotive and aerospace industries. His published research on sustainable materials such as natural fibre and recycled carbon fibre composite led to these materials being showcased on the Lola/Drayson racing Le Mans Prototype that broke the sub 1000 kg electric vehicle land speed record in 2013. James also has an interest in multi-functional materials such as wire in composite and in composite cost reduction through process innovation.
James applies his industrial experience in manufacturing and quality (lean and six sigma) to the healthcare and automotive industries. He recently supervised a KTP with Nissan which highlighted the critical requirements for successful niche vehicle manufacturing in the UK. He now works with the High Speed Sustainable Manufacturing Institute (HSSMI) and Ford on a strategy for high volume manufacturing of future automotive powertrains. He lectures in automotive engineering and composite materials.
Mr Mussawar Ahmad (PhD co-supervisor Prof. Robert Harrison – WMG)
High volume powerpack manufacture – CASE award sponsored by Ford (HSSMI)
Mr Paul Minehane (EngD co-supervisor Dr Kerry Kirwan – WMG)
Low Environmental Impact Sustainable Materials For Use In Automotive Electrical Distribution Systems, Sponsored by Tata Motors
Mr Dominik Jasinski (EngD co-supervisor Dr Kerry Kirwan – WMG)
Delivering profit through sustainability – a new paradigm, sponsored by JLR
Mr Mohammed Elbadawi (PhD)
High strength synthetic bone via extrusion of ceramics
Mr Sam Ashworth (PhD co-supervisor Kevin Kerrigan – AMRC)
Performance assessment of machined composites via novel metrics for surface quality – sponsored by OSG
- Grove A & Meredith J (2012) "A review of quality improvement in health care and recommendations for the future" in The Innovation Imperative in Health Care Organisations: Critical Role of Human Resource Management in the Cost, Quality and Productivity Equation. Edward Elgar.
- Elbadawi M, Mosalagae M, Reaney I & Meredith J (2017) Guar Gum: A Novel Binder for Ceramic Extrusion. Ceramics International. View this article in WRRO
- Jasiński D, Meredith J & Kirwan K (2017) The life cycle impact for platinum group metals and lithium to 2070 via surplus cost potential. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. View this article in WRRO
- Ahmad M, Harrison R, Meredith J, Bindel A & Todd B (2017) Validation of a fuel cell compression spring equivalent model using polarisation data. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42(12), 8109-8118.
- Elbadawi E, Meredith J, Mosalgae M & Reaney I (2016) Porous hydroxyapatite scaffolds fabricated from nano-sized powder via honeycomb extrusion. Advanced Materials Letters, 8(4), 377-385. View this article in WRRO
- Ashworth S, Rongong J, Wilson P & Meredith J (2016) Mechanical and Damping Properties of Resin Transfer Moulded Jute-Carbon Hybrid Composites. Composites Part B: Engineering, 105, 60-66. View this article in WRRO
- Jasinski D, Meredith J & Kirwan K (2016) A comprehensive framework for automotive sustainability assessment. Journal of Cleaner Production, 135, 1034-1044. View this article in WRRO
- Meredith J, Bilson E, Powe R, Collings E & Kirwan K (2015) A Performance Versus Cost Analysis of Prepreg Carbon Fibre Epoxy Energy Absorption Structures. Composite Structures, 124, 206-213. View this article in WRRO
- Wood B, Kirwan K, Maggs S, Meredith J & Coles S (2014) Study of combustion performance of biodiesel for potential application in motorsport. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Meredith J & Mallick K (2014) High Strength Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration. Bioinspired, Biomimetic and Nanobiomaterials.
- Jasinski D, Meredith J & Kirwan K (2014) A comprehensive review of full cost accounting methods and their applicability to the automotive industry. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Meredith J, Coles S, Powe R, Collings E, Cozien-Cazuc S, Weager B, Mussig J & Kirwan K (2013) On the static and dynamic properties of flax and Cordenka epoxy composites. Composites Science and Technology.
- Cherrington R, Goodship V, Meredith J, Wood B, Coles S, Vuillaume A, Feito-Boirac A, Spee F & Kirwan K (2012) Producer responsibility: Defining the incentive for recycling composite wind turbine blades in Europe. Energy Policy, 47.
- Meredith J, Cozien-Cazuc S, Collings E, Carter S, Alsop S, Lever J, Coles S, Wood B & Kirwan K (2012) Recycled carbon fibre for high performance energy absorption. Composites Science and Technology, 72(6).
- Meredith J, Ebsworth R, Coles S, Wood B & Kirwan K (2012) Natural fibre composite energy absorption structures. Composites Science and Technology.
- Meredith JO, Grove AL, Walley P, Young F & Macintyre MB (2011) Are we operating effectively? A lean analysis of operating theatre changeovers. Operations Management Research, 4(3-4), 89-98.
- Meredith J, Grove A, Walley P, Young F & Macintyre M (2011) Are we operating effectively? A lean analysis of operating theatre changeovers. Journal of Operations Management Research, 4(3-4).
- Wood B, Coles S, Meredith J, Kirwan K & Maggs S (2011) Use of Lignin as a Compatibiliser in Hemp/Epoxy Composites. Composites Science and Technology, 71(16).
- Grove A, Meredith J, MacIntyre M, Angelis J & Neailey K (2010) Challenges faced by a UK health visiting service during lean implementation. Leadership in Health Services, 21(3).
- Grove AL, Meredith JO, Macintyre M, Angelis J & Neailey K (2010) Lean implementation in primary care health visiting services in National Health Service UK. BMJ Quality & Safety, 19(5), e43-e43.
- Grove A, Meredith J, MacIntyre M, Angelis J & Neailey K (2010) Lean implementation in primary care health visiting services in NHS UK. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 19(5).
- Coles S, Jacobs D, Meredith J, Barker G, Clark A, Kirwan K, Stanger J & Tucker N (2010) A Design of Experiment (DoE) Approach to Material Properties Optimisation of Electrospun Nanofibres. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 117(4).
- Hubert P, Ashrafi B, Adhikari K, Meredith J, Vengallatore S, Guan J & Simard B (2009) Synthesis and characterization of carbon nanotube-reinforced epoxy: Correlation between viscosity and elastic modulus. Composites Science and Technology, 69(14), 2274-2280.
- Elbadawi M, Meredith J, hopkins L & reaney I (2016) Progress in Bioactive Metal and, Ceramic Implants for Load- Bearing Application In Zorzi A & Miranda J (Ed.), Advanced Techniques in Bone Regeneration
- Coles S & Meredith J (2014) Biopolymers and Biocomposites In Crolla D (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering
- Grove AL & Meredith JO (2012) A Review of Quality Improvement in Health Care and Recommendations for the Future In Spurgeon P, Burke R & Cooper C (Ed.), The Innovation Imperative in Health Care Organisations: Critical Role of Human Resource Management in the Cost, Quality and Productivity Equation (pp. 163-186).
Conference proceedings papers
- Ahmad M, Ahmad B, Alkan B, Vera D, Harrison R, Meredith J & Bindel A (2016) Hydrogen Fuel Cell Pick and Place Assembly Systems: Heuristic Evaluation of Reconfigurability and Suitability. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 57 (pp 428-433)
- Ahmad M, Ahmad B, Harrison R, Alkan B, Vera D, Meredith J & Bindel A (2016) A Framework for Automatically Realizing Assembly Sequence Changes in a Virtual Manufacturing Environment. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 50 (pp 129-134)
- Ahmad M, Alkan B, Ahmad B, Vera D, Harrison R, Meredith J & Bindel A (2016) The Use of a Complexity Model to Facilitate in the Selection of a Fuel Cell Assembly Sequence. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 44 (pp 169-174)
- Ahmad M, Ahmad B, Harrison R, Ferrer BR, Lastra JLM, Meredith J & Bindel A (2015) A knowledge-based approach for the selection of assembly equipment based on fuel cell component characteristics. IECON 2015 - 41st Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (pp 1002-1007)
- Ahmad M, Harrison R, Meredith J, Bindel A & Todd B (2015) Analysis of the compression characteristics of a PEM stack, development of an equivalent spring model and recommendations for compression process improvements. 2015 6th International Renewable Energy Congress, IREC 2015