Dr Luca Modenese
Department of Mechanical Engineering
INSIGNEO Institute for in silico Medicine
Pam Liversidge Building
Dr Luca Modenese gained a MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Padua (Italy) in 2008. After that he started a PhD at Imperial College London (United Kingdom) in the Structural Biomechanics Group and completed it in 2013. His doctoral research focused on the development of numerical models for the estimation of joint contact forces occurring during daily living activities of healthy and pathological subjects. His main research interests are the generation of personalized musculoskeletal models from medical images and the development of computational tools that could be used in clinical environment. From 2013 to 2015 Luca was a postdoctoral fellow in the Centre for Musculoskeletal Research of Griffith University, Queensland, Australia. In 2013 he visited the neuromuscular Biomechanics Laboratory, Stanford, USA, led by Prof. S. Delp for a visiting scholar appointment and in 2015 the Rehabilitation Engineering Group (University of Padua) led by Dr. M. Reggiani. In 2014 he was included by the National Center for Simulation in Rehabilitation Research (NCSRR) between the inaugural 20 members of the OpenSim Fellows program, which recognizes a deep expertise in biomechanical modelling and simulation. In 2015 he was awarded a New Research Grant from Griffith University to develop subject specific models of children with cerebral palsy. Luca is now a postdoctoral researcher at the INSIGNEO Institute for in silico Medicine based at the University of Sheffield, working in the European Project MD-PAEDIGREE.
- Gait Analysis
- Musculoskeletal modelling
- Motor Control
- Patient specific modelling
- Joint contact forces prediction
- Tagliapietra L, Modenese L, Ceseracciu E, Mazzà C & Reggiani M (2018) Validation of a model-based inverse kinematics approach based on wearable inertial sensors. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Modenese L, Montefiori E, Wang A, Wesarg S, Viceconti M & Mazza C (2018) Investigation of the dependence of joint contact forces on musculotendon parameters using a codified workflow for image-based modelling. Journal of Biomechanics, 73, 108-118. View this article in WRRO
- Fox AS, Carty CP, Modenese L, Barber LA & Lichtwark GA (2018) Simulating the effect of muscle weakness and contracture on neuromuscular control of normal gait in children. Gait & Posture, 61, 169-175.
- Moissenet F, Modenese L & Dumas R (2018) Corrigendum to “Alterations of musculoskeletal models for a more accurate estimation of lower limb joint contact forces during normal gait: A systematic review” [J. Biomech. 63 (2017) 8–20]. Journal of Biomechanics, 66, 202.
- Moissenet F, Modenese L & Dumas R (2017) Alterations of musculoskeletal models for a more accurate estimation of lower limb joint contact forces during normal gait: A systematic review. Journal of Biomechanics, 63, 8-20.
- Kainz H, Carty CP, Maine S, Walsh HPJ, Lloyd DG & Modenese L (2017) Effects of hip joint centre mislocation on gait kinematics of children with cerebral palsy calculated using patient-specific direct and inverse kinematic models. Gait & Posture, 57, 154-160. View this article in WRRO
- Saxby DJ, Bryant AL, Wang X, Modenese L, Gerus P, Konrath JM, Bennell KL, Fortin K, Wrigley T, Cicuttini FM , Vertullo CJ et al (2017) Relationships Between Tibiofemoral Contact Forces and Cartilage Morphology at 2 to 3 Years After Single-Bundle Hamstring Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and in Healthy Knees. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 5(8), 232596711772250-232596711772250.
- Hannah I, Montefiori E, Modenese L, Prinold JIA, Viceconti M & Mazza C (2017) Sensitivity of a juvenile subject-specific musculoskeletal model of the ankle joint to the variability of operator dependent input. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 231(5), 415-422. View this article in WRRO
- Pizzolato C, Reggiani M, Saxby DJ, Ceseracciu E, Modenese L & Lloyd DG (2017) Biofeedback for gait retraining based on real-time estimation of tibiofemoral joint contact forces. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Kainz H, Graham D, Edwards J, Walsh HPJ, Maine S, Boyd RN, Lloyd DG, Modenese L & Carty CP (2017) Reliability of four models for clinical gait analysis. Gait & Posture. View this article in WRRO
- Barber L, Carty C, Modenese L, Walsh J, Boyd R & Lichtwark G (2017) Medial gastrocnemius and soleus muscle-tendon unit, fascicle, and tendon interaction during walking in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology.
- Kainz H, Hajek M, Modenese L, Saxby DJ, Lloyd DG & Carty CP (2017) Reliability of functional and predictive methods to estimate the hip joint centre in human motion analysis in healthy adults.. Gait and Posture, 53, 179-184. View this article in WRRO
- Sartori M, Fernandez JW, Modenese L, Carty CP, Barber LA, Oberhofer K, Zhang J, Handsfield GG, Stott NS, Besier TF , Farina D et al (2017) Toward modeling locomotion using electromyography‐informed 3D models: application to cerebral palsy. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Systems Biology and Medicine, 9(2), e1368.
- Brito da Luz S, Modenese L, Sancisi N, Mills PM, Kennedy B, Beck BR & Lloyd DG (2016) Feasibility of using MRIs to create subject-specific parallel-mechanism joint models. Journal of Biomechanics.
- Naicker P, Anoopkumar-Dukie S, Grant GD, Modenese L & Kavanagh JJ (2016) Medications influencing central cholinergic pathways affect fixation stability, saccadic response time and associated eye movement dynamics during a temporally-cued visual reaction time task. Psychopharmacology, 1-10.
- Saxby DJ, Bryant AL, Modenese L, Gerus P, Killen B, Konrath J, Fortin K, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Cicuttini FM , Vertullo C et al (2016) Tibiofemoral Contact Forces in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament–Reconstructed Knee. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 48(11), 2195-2206. View this article in WRRO
- Pizzolato C, Reggiani M, Modenese L & Lloyd DG (2016) Real-time inverse kinematics and inverse dynamics for lower limb applications using OpenSim.. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin.
- Erdemir A, Guess TM, Halloran JP, Modenese L, Reinbolt JA, Thelen DG & Umberger BR (2016) Commentary on the Integration of Model Sharing and Reproducibility Analysis to Scholarly Publishing Workflow in Computational Biomechanics. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 63(10), 2080-2085. View this article in WRRO
- Graham DF, Modenese L, Trewartha G, Carty CP, Constantinou M, Lloyd DG & Barrett RS (2016) Hip joint contact loads in older adults during recovery from forward loss of balance by stepping. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(13), 2619-2624. View this article in WRRO
- Saxby DJ, Modenese L, Bryant AL, Gerus P, Killen B, Fortin K, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Cicuttini FM & Lloyd DG (2016) Tibiofemoral contact forces during walking, running and sidestepping. Gait & Posture, 49, 78-85.
- Kainz H, Modenese L, Lloyd DG, Maine S, Walsh HPJ & Carty CP (2016) Joint kinematic calculation based on clinical direct kinematic versus inverse kinematic gait models. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(9), 1658-1669. View this article in WRRO
- Modenese L, Ceseracciu E, Reggiani M & Lloyd DG (2016) Estimation of musculotendon parameters for scaled and subject specific musculoskeletal models using an optimization technique. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(2), 141-148.
- Geraldes DM, Modenese L & Phillips ATM (2016) Consideration of multiple load cases is critical in modelling orthotropic bone adaptation in the femur. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 15(5), 1029-1042.
- Kainz H, Carty CP, Modenese L, Boyd RN & Lloyd DG (2015) Estimation of the hip joint centre in human motion analysis: A systematic review. Clinical Biomechanics, 30(4), 319-329.
- Modenese L, Phillips ATM & Bull AMJ (2015) Letter to the Editor: In Response to “Consistency Among Musculoskeletal Models: Caveat Utilitor”. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 43(4), 1052-1054.
- Phillips ATM, Villette CC & Modenese L (2015) Femoral bone mesoscale structural architecture prediction using musculoskeletal and finite element modelling. International Biomechanics, 2(1), 43-61. View this article in WRRO
- Gopalakrishnan A, Modenese L & Phillips ATM (2014) A novel computational framework for deducing muscle synergies from experimental joint moments. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 8. View this article in WRRO
- van Arkel RJ, Modenese L, Phillips ATM & Jeffers JRT (2013) Hip abduction can prevent posterior edge loading of hip replacements. Journal of Orthopaedic Research®, 31(8), 1172-1179.
- Modenese L, Gopalakrishnan A & Phillips ATM (2013) Application of a falsification strategy to a musculoskeletal model of the lower limb and accuracy of the predicted hip contact force vector. Journal of Biomechanics, 46(6), 1193-1200.
- Modenese L & Phillips ATM (2012) Prediction of hip contact forces and muscle activations during walking at different speeds. Multibody System Dynamics, 28(1-2), 157-168.
- Modenese L, Phillips ATM & Bull AMJ (2011) An open source lower limb model: Hip joint validation. Journal of Biomechanics, 44(12), 2185-2193.
- Montefiori E, Modenese L, Di Marco R, Magni-Manzoni S, Malattia C, Petrarca M, Ronchetti A, de Horatio LT, van Dijkhuizen P, Wang A , Wesarg S et al () Linking Joint Impairment and Gait Biomechanics in Patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Annals of Biomedical Engineering.
Conference proceedings papers
- Saxby DJ, Bryant AL, Modenese L, Gerus P, Killen B, Konrath J, Fortin K, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Cicuttini FM , Vertullo C et al (2016) Tibiofemoral contact forces 2–3 years following anterior crucuate ligament reconstruction: A comparison with healthy individuals. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Vol. 24 (pp s92-s93)
- Saxby DJ, Wang X, Bryant AL, Modenese L, Gerus P, Konrath J, Fortin K, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Cicuttini FM , Vertullo C et al (2016) Tibiofemoral contact forces protect against articular tissue damage in the anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed knee, but not if there is concurent meniscal injury. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Vol. 24 (pp s94)
- Saxby DJ, Wang X, Bryant AL, Modenese L, Gerus P, Konrath J, Fortin K, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Cicuttini FM , Vertullo C et al (2016) Different relationships exist between tibiofemoral contact forces and articular tissue morphology in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed and healthy knees. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Vol. 24 (pp s373-s374)
- Modenese L, Phillips ATM & Bull AMJ (2010) A State of the Art 3D Model of the Lower Limb: Application to Muscle Force Estimation and Validation, Vol. 31 (pp 981-984)
- Hannah I, Montefiori E, Modenese L, Viceconti M & Mazza C Data for paper 'Sensitivity of a juvenile subject -specific musculoskeletal model of the ankle joint to the variability of operator dependent input'.