Department Administration Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the Head of Department and members of Executive Committee to develop and deliver the Department's strategy. Prepare and draft the Department's Five Year Academic Plan.
- Lead and implement significant and specific elements of the Department's strategy, working collaboratively across the Department with both academic colleagues and senior members of the Department and Faculty to ensure these are delivered effectively and efficiently (e.g. academic recruitment campaigns, preparation and drafting of the Department's Five Year Academic Plan, Women in Engineering).
- With the Head of Department, be responsible for the financial planning and management of the Departmental budget, including budget allocations, forecasting and the provision of statistical information and modelling in relation to financial performance (e.g. business plans, scenario planning). Working with the Faculty Finance Manager and Finance Cluster staff, provide financial management advice and information as required.
- Provide oversight to the Finance Cluster in aligning procedures and practice where possible across the cluster departments. Ensure that core and research finance administration is robust, fit for purpose and complies with University procedures and regulations.
- Member of the Departmental Senior Management Group (Executive Committee), providing specialist advice on all aspects of the University's policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the administration meets the needs of the Department in terms of structure, processes and quality of service. This includes understanding and anticipating the needs of the Department, maintaining and developing existing systems, processes and service provision, ensuring they remain fit for purpose regarding compliance with current and future objectives, internal and external regulations or codes of practice.
- Set standards and embed quality of service and professionalism in the administrative functions within the Department, working collaboratively and leading the Department's administrative team(s) to review and improve processes and develop a culture of service excellence.
- Lead the administrative functional areas (HR, Finance, Research and Consultancy) including managing team leaders.
- Motivating and developing staff and ensuring an appropriate level of skills and knowledge, including managing the training and development and performance management of all clerical, administrative and secretarial staff within the Department.
- Liaise and collaborate with other Departmental Administration Managers to ensure coordinated action, minimise duplication and share good practice.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Faculty strategy and objectives through leading and working on projects at Faculty and sometimes University level.