Research Excellence Framework 2014
The results of REF 2014 demonstrate world-leading excellence, impact and strength across all departments within the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health.
- Biomedical research from our faculty and the Faculty of Science was ranked No 1 for world-leading quality in the UK.
- Taking into account our research outputs, environment, and impact (the extent to which our research makes a difference to society and the economy), 84% of research across the faculty was assessed as being world-leading or internationally excellent.
- For clinical medicine, 84% of our research outputs were judged to be world-leading or internationally excellent, putting us in the top 10 of the UK Russell Group.
- Our Schools of Dentistry, Nursing and Human Communication Sciences (HCS) together ranked 12th of 94 in the UK for their world-leading and internationally excellent research, putting us in the top 10 of the UK Russell Group for these areas too.
- Our research also has a powerful impact on healthcare innovation and practice: 95% of the work in our School of Health and Related Research (ScHaRR) was top-rated for impact, the second highest score in the UK. ScHaRR’s work was also ranked fourth overall in the UK for research power.
- Our research impact in every area was rated world-leading or internationally excellent and we are top 5 in the UK for research impact in Biomedical Science, Health and Related Research and areas of Human Communication Sciences.
The University’s four flagship institutes bring together our key strengths to tackle global issues, turning interdisciplinary and translational research into real-world solutions.