Phase, 2a, Phase 3a and Phase 3b students can apply for the August 2017 BMedSci programme from February 2017. We also accept applications from external students in relevant disciplines. Applications to Masters programmes should be done via the online postgraduate application process.
Sheffield Medical School students: To apply for the University of Sheffield School of Medicine BMedSci, please complete the application form. Only complete the form when you have formal offer of a project.
External applicants: please contact Fran Oldale, the BMedSci Administrator
If you are interested in applying to intercalate to one of the School's Masters Programmes, please check with the relevant Programme Director for the application dates specific to that course.
Important Dates for the application process 2017/2018 can be viewed here.
Availability of Research Projects
Details of proposed research projects are included in this booklet and on the website. However if there is a subject area that is not contained within this booklet that you would particularly like to study, please approach appropriate members of staff who may be willing to design a suitable project for you.
Eligibility to apply
Acceptance of a student on the BMedSci course will be decided by his/her prospective supervisor after a meeting to discuss the intended project. If the supervisor is willing to support your application then you will automatically be accepted onto the course.
However, any student wishing to apply for a BMedSci who has repeated any Phase of the MBChB, due to examination failure in the first sit and resit of the examination, are advised to contact Fran Oldale in the first instance. This stipulation does not apply to those students who have been required to resit an end of Phase examination but were successful at that sitting and progressed to the next Phase.
BMedSci Application Process 2017
Due to the increase in number of applications for the BMedSci, the application process has become more competitive. We still want supervisors to make the final decision about which applicant they want for the BMedSci year. Therefore the following application process will be in place this year, with two rounds of applications taking place.
Please remember you are only permitted to apply for one project.
1. BMedSci Information Fair: Monday 13 February 2017, 11.00am – 1.00pm, Convocation Hall, Octagon Centre – opportunity to find out more about doing a BMedSci and meet with prospective supervisors.
2. Initial enquiries to supervisors: must be made by Monday 27th February 2017. Therefore if you are interested in more than one project then please use this time to speak informally with a number of supervisors.
3. Formally applying for a project: you must email one supervisor by Monday 6th March to ask to be formally considered for the project being offered. If more than one person has applied for the project then you may be required to meet further with your supervisor for another meeting, or even an interview. You may be required to submit evidence of your previous academic performance at Medical School and before, so please have this available.
4. Supervisor’s final decision: Before or on Friday 17th March, supervisors must have made their final decision on which applicant to accept. Supervisors must let their successful and unsuccessful applicants know of the decision and let Fran Oldale in the Medical School know of the decision, including if they do not have an applicant. The successful applicant must have an email making the formal offer to upload to their application form.
5. Successful applicants: to complete their application forms by Thursday 23rd March 2017.
SECOND ROUND PROJECTS WILL BE PUBLISHED ON THE WEBSITE ON FRIDAY 31st MARCH 2017
1. Second round of applications Students who have not got their first choice of supervisor to be informed of the remaining projects via the website and be invited to enter a second round of applications. Informal enquiries to be made to supervisors by Friday 21st April, with formal interest to be made by Friday 29th April.
2. Decisions on second round candidates: to be made by Monday 8th May. Supervisors must have made their final decision on which applicant to accept. Supervisors must let their successful and unsuccessful applicants know of the decision and let Fran Oldale in the Medical School know of the decision, including if they do not have an applicant.
3. Sucessful second round candidate application forms: to be in by Friday 19th May.
Please make sure that you have a full list of examination results, including your ranked place for each Phase, available for your supervisor should they request to see it.
If you have chosen to self-design a project, it is your responsibility to come up with a project and to approach a possible supervisor. If the supervisor is agreeable, then you should submit the standard application form and then your supervisor will be sent a self-design proposal form.