Academic Unit of Medical Education
Senior University Teacher in Anatomy
+44 114 222 4631
Full contact details
Academic Unit of Medical Education
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
I qualified from Southampton University in 1986 and following a period of Anatomy demonstration at Southampton University undertook surgical training in Sheffield, Nottingham and Dunedin (NZ) including an MD thesis in Sheffield.
I was appointed Consultant Surgeon in 1999 and worked in General, Vascular, Colorectal and skin cancer subspecialties, over a twelve year period, in Rotherham and the Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.
In 2005 I started teaching anatomy for half a day a week and in 2006 became senior anatomist for the Medical School teaching two days a week whilst continuing a reduced surgical practice. I moved to a full time teaching role in 2013.
- A new approach to comprehensively evaluate the morphological properties of the human femoral head : example of application to osteoarthritic joint. Scientific Reports, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- Effect of size and location of simulated lytic lesions on the structural properties of human vertebral bodies, a micro-finite element study. Bone Reports, 12. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of HR-pQCT- and microCT-based finite element models for the estimation of the mechanical properties of the calcaneus trabecular bone. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 17(6), 1715-1730. View this article in WRRO
- Validation of calcaneus trabecular microstructure measurements by HR-pQCT. Bone, 106, 69-77. View this article in WRRO
- An anatomical and radiological study of the fascia cruris and paratenon of the Achilles tendon.. Foot Ankle Surg, 17(3), 186-192.
- Anal ulceration associated with Nicorandil: case series and review of the literature. COLORECTAL DISEASE, 8(8), 717-720.
- Developing assessments of surgical skills for the GMC Performance Procedures. Annals of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, 87(4), 242-247.
- Middle cerebral artery blood velocity, embolisation, and neurological outcome during carotid endarterectomy: a prospective comparison of the Javid and the Pruitt-Inahara shunts.. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg, 14(5), 399-402.
- A new animal model for abdominal aortic aneurysms: Initial results using a multiple-wire stent. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 11(1), 90-97.
- ACUTE MANAGEMENT OF SUBCLAVIAN VEIN-THROMBOSIS. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY, 82(4), 433-434.
- Gait analysis in the rat as a model for the study of peripheral vascular disease.. Physiol Behav, 55(4), 723-726.
- Characterisation of an experimental model of chronic lower limb ischaemia in the anaesthetised rat.. Int J Microcirc Clin Exp, 14(1-2), 27-33.
- Treatment of combined brachial plexus and subclavian artery trauma. Injury, 24(6), 377-379.
- CHARACTERIZATION OF A MODEL OF CHRONIC ISCHEMIA IN THE ANESTHETIZED RAT HINDLIMB. J PHYSIOL-LONDON, 467, P130-P130.
Conference proceedings papers
- Teaching interests
- Human Anatomy at undergraduate and postgraduate level, including practical skills and assessment
- Development of postgraduate trainees in Medical Education
- Professional activities
I am a Senior University Teacher with overall responsibility for anatomy teaching within the Medical School; I run all the undergraduate anatomy practical classes using whole body, student led, cadaveric dissection
I collaborate with the School of Surgery to deliver teaching for surgical trainees and provide day to day supervision of four trainees in Medical Education. I am curator of the Crane Museum of Pathology.