Dr Ben Jackson
Senior Clinical University Teacher
BSc (Hons) MBBS MRCP MRCGP DipMedEd
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Tel: 0114 222 22082
Fax: 0114 222 2199
University Roles (Part-time)
- Senior Clinical Teacher in Primary Care
- Academic Lead for PG Dip in Physician Associate Studies
- Lecturer, Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education
- GP Principal, Conisbrough Group Practice (from 2002) CGP Website
- GP Clinical and Educational Supervisor, Conisbrough Group Practice (from 2004)
Other Professional Roles
- Chair, South Yorkshire Primary Care Workforce Group, HEYH
- RCGP National Council Member (Elected -2015-18)
- Vice Chair, RCGP Sheffield Faculty
- Professional Coach, Health Education Yorkshire and the Humber HEYH Coaching
- PG Cert in Leadership and Management (RCGP/Univ of Exeter) - 2011
- PG Cert in Palliative Care: Irish College of GP – 2001
- Diploma Obstetrics and Gynaecology: RACOG - 2000
After graduating from Medical School (London) in 1993 I took up an academic medical rotation in Manchester achieving MRCP in 1996 and then, after choosing a career in General Practice, MRCGP in 1998. Subsequently, after several years working abroad in New Zealand and Ireland I returned to England in 2001 to found Conisbrough Group Practice with a vacant list of 1600 patients, in an ex-mining community in South Yorkshire. Our project was to grow and develop a teaching, training and research practice that delivered excellent clinical care to the community; we have been actively engaged in all these areas for several years and now provide care for over 10,000 patients.
I started teaching Sheffield UG medical students in the practice in 2002, became a postgraduate General Practice trainer in 2004 (a role I continue and cherish), and have supervised Nurses and Pharmacists in developing extending roles within primary care. I was Training Programme Director for Doncaster GP training programme for 4 years before becoming Associate Postgraduate Dean for GP in the Yorkshire and Humber Postgraduate Deanery. In 2010 I was appointed Deputy Director of the School of Primary Care in Yorkshire and the Humber and moved from there to my current role at the university.
- Clinical - Respiratory Medicine, Neurology, Mental Health and Care of the Elderly.
- Academic - Professional Development, Health Inequities, Workforce Development and Structure.
- Oversight of primary care input into UG curriculum
- Phase 1 – lecture - Introduction to General Practice (early years primary care)
- Phase 3 – lecture - Practical Prescribing – safe prescribing of drugs
- Phase 3a and 3b – ad-hoc small group workshops in General Practice
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education: portfolio assessment; teaching and learning in the workplace; giving feedback
Research and Evaluation
- 2015 - Project team – Benefits of providing work experience in General Practice to potential applicants to medical school (with Leeds and Hull-York Medical Schools)
- 2015-16 Masters thesis – Facilitating and barrier factors to the introduction of Physician Associates into the primary care workforce in South Yorkshire.
- 2015 - ‘Deep End’ Yorkshire group; investigating the causes, effects and mitigating factors of health inequities across the region.
- Facilitating and barrier factors to the introduction of Physician Associates into the primary care workforce in South Yorkshire – NHS innovation/UoS - £6000
- Quality Management of Workplace Based Assessment as part of the trainer re-approval process – a new resource. UKCEA National Conference, St Andrews 2010
- Quality Management of Out of Hours training – challenges and solutions.
- UKCEA Spring conference , London. 2013
- Developing leadership skills in postgraduate trainees. UKCEA Spring conference, Warwick. 2014
- Jackson B, Marshall M & Schofield S (2017) Barriers and facilitators to integration of physician associates into the general practice workforce: a grounded theory approach. British Journal of General Practice, 67(664), e785-e791. View this article in WRRO
- Jackson B, Irvine H & Walton E (2017) General practice and the Sustainability and Transformation imperatives. British Journal of General Practice, 67(658), 196-197. View this article in WRRO
- McDonald P, Jackson B, Alberti H & Rosenthal J (2016) How can medical schools encourage students to choose general practice as a career?. British Journal of General Practice, 66(647), 292-293.
- Bansal A, Buchanan J, Jackson B, Patterson D & Tomson M (2016) Helping international medical graduates adapt to the UK general practice context: A values-based course for developing patient-centred skills. Education for Primary Care, 26(2), 105-108.
- Jackson B & Godden A (2015) Apprentice leaders in training: ‘talking the walk’. Education for Primary Care, 26(6), 416-418. View this article in WRRO
- Sandars J & Jackson B (2015) Self-authorship theory and medical education: AMEE Guide No. 98. Medical Teacher, 37(6), 521-532. View this article in WRRO
- Fowler I & Jackson BE (2015) A general practice taster programme for foundation doctors. BMJ Careers. View this article in WRRO
- Bansal A, Buchanan J, Jackson B, Patterson D & Tomson M (2015) Helping international medical graduates adapt to the UK general practice context: A values-based course for developing patient-centred skills. Education for Primary Care, 26(2), 105-108.
- Jackson BE, Marshall M & Schofield S () What are the barriers and facilitators to the integration of Physician Associates into the General Practice workforce? : a grounded theory approach.. British Journal of General Practice.
- Bansal A, Jackson BE, Paterson D & Buchanan J (2016) Exploring the value of patient-centred care and diversity issues at the start of training helps IMG’s apply these concepts in clinical settings.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Nicholls G & Jackson BE (2016) Promoting a career in general practice: the work experience programme.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Walton E, Jackson BE, Paterson D & Ratcliffe T (2016) Yorkshire and Humber GPs at the Deep End: Primary care tackling health inequity.. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.
- Jackson BE (2016) Stakeholder opinion on the incorporation of physician associates into the primary care workforce. Royal College of General Practitioners Annual Conference.