Professor Chris Burton
Professor of Primary Medical Care
Professor Chris Burton
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Sheffield S5 7AU
Tel: 0114 222 2216
Fax: 0114 222 2199
I am an academic GP with a particular interest in how doctors and patients deal with persistent physical symptoms. My work aims to help doctors explain symptoms constructively. We recognise that symptoms have both peripheral (body) and central (brain) processes and the challenge is to translate developments in science, particularly neuroscience, into explanations which safely make sense of symptoms for patients and lead to better management
I have other interests around diagnosis, testing and reassurance, and healthcare use in relation to both mental and physical ill-health. I use a variety of methods including analysis of large data, development and evaluation of clinical interventions, and technological innovation.
Within the university I lead the Academic Unit of Primary Care, and represent the Academic Unit of Medical Education on faculty research committees. I am a member of the Centre for Urgent Care Research within ScHARR.
- Payne K, Walton E & Burton C (2019) Steps to benefit from social prescription : a qualitative interview study. British Journal of General Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, O'Neill L, Oliver P & Murchie P (2019) Contribution of primary care organisation and specialist care provider to variation in GP referrals for suspected cancer : ecological analysis of national data. BMJ Quality & Safety. View this article in WRRO
- Williams P, Murchie P, Cruickshank ME, Bond CM & Burton CD (2019) The use, quality and effectiveness of pelvic examination in primary care for the detection of gynaecological cancer : a systematic review. Family Practice, 36(4), 378-386. View this article in WRRO
- Stegink S, Elliott AM & Burton C (2019) Statistical complexity of reasons for encounter in high users of out of hours primary care: analysis of a national service. BMC Health Services Research, 19. View this article in WRRO
- Lu F, Zao Z, Cleveland H, Burton CD & Madigan D (2018) Bayesian hierarchical vector autoregressive models for patient-level predictive modeling. PLoS ONE, 13(12). View this article in WRRO
- Walton E, Ahmed A, Burton CD & Mathers N (2018) Influences of socioeconomic deprivation on GPs’ decisions to refer patients to cardiology: a qualitative study. British Journal of General Practice, 68(677), e826-e834. View this article in WRRO
- Eley E, Jackson B, Burton C & Walton E (2018) Professional resilience in GPs working in areas of socio-economic deprivation: a qualitative study.. British Journal of General Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Orchard P, Agakova A, Pinnock H, Burton CD, Sarran C, Agakov F & McKinstry B (2018) Improving prediction of risk of hospital admission in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: application of machine learning to telemonitoring data (Preprint). Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(9). View this article in WRRO
- Burton CD, Elliott AM, Cochran A & Love T (2018) Do healthcare services behave as complex systems? Analysis of patterns of attendance and implications for service delivery.. BMC Medicine, 16. View this article in WRRO
- Lehane D, Cunliffe V, Mitchell C & Burton C (2018) Epigenetics and primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 68(666), 8-9. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, Iversen L, Bhattacharya S, Ayansina D, Saraswat L & Sleeman D (2017) Pointers to earlier diagnosis of endometriosis: a nested case-control study using primary care electronic health records. British Journal of General Practice, 67(665), e816-e823. View this article in WRRO
- Adam R, Burton CD, Bond CM, de Bruin M & Murchie P (2017) Can patient-reported measurements of pain be used to improve cancer pain management? A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Rief W, Burton C, Frostholm L, Henningsen P, Kleinstäuber M, Kop WJ, Löwe B, Martin A, Malt U, Rosmalen J , Schröder A et al (2017) Core Outcome Domains for Clinical Trials on Somatic Symptom Disorder, Bodily Distress Disorder, and Functional Somatic Syndromes: European Network on Somatic Symptom Disorders Recommendations. Psychosomatic Medicine, 79(9), 1008-1015. View this article in WRRO
- Olde Hartman TC, Rosendal M, Aamland A, van der Horst HE, Rosmalen JGM, Burton CD & Lucassen PLBJ (2017) What do guidelines and systematic reviews tell us about the management of medically unexplained symptoms in primary care?. BJGP Open, 1(3). View this article in WRRO
- Mamas MA, Sperrin M, Watson MC, Coutts A, Wilde K, Burton CD, Kadam UT, Kwok CS, Clark AB, Murchie P , Buchan I et al (2017) Do patients have worse outcomes in heart failure than in cancer? A primary care‐based cohort study with 10‐year follow‐up in Scotland. European Journal of Heart Failure, 19(9), 1095-1104. View this article in WRRO
- Burton CD, McLernon , Lee AJ & Murchie P (2017) Distinguishing variation in referral accuracy from referral threshold: analysis of a national dataset of referrals for suspected cancer. BMJ Open, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Chowdhury S & Burton C (2017) Associations of treatment effects between follow-up times and between outcome domains in interventions for somatoform disorders: Review of three Cochrane reviews. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 98, 10-18. View this article in WRRO
- Adam R, de Bruin M, Burton CD, Bond CM, Giatsi Clausen M & Murchie P (2017) What are the current challenges of managing cancer pain and could digital technologies help?. BMJ Support Palliat Care. View this article in WRRO
- Burton CD, Entwistle VA, Elliott AM, Krucien N, Porteous T & Ryan M (2017) The value of different aspects of person-centred care: a series of discrete choice experiments in people with long-term conditions. BMJ Open, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Rosendal M, Olde Hartman TC, Aamland A, van der Horst H, Lucassen P, Budtz-Lilly A & Burton C (2017) “Medically unexplained” symptoms and symptom disorders in primary care: prognosis-based recognition and classification. BMC Family Practice, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Morton L, Elliott AM, Cleland JA, Deary V & Burton C (2017) A taxonomy of explanations in a general practitioner clinic for patients with persistent “medically unexplained” physical symptoms. Pat EducCouns. View this article in WRRO
- den Boeft M, Huisman D, Morton L, Lucassen P, van der Wouden JC, Westerman MJ, van der Horst HE & Burton CD (2016) Negotiating explanations: doctor–patient communication with patients with medically unexplained symptoms—a qualitative analysis. Family Practice, 34(1), 107-113.
- Burton C, Szentagotai Tatar A, McKinstry B, Matheson C, Matu S, Moldovan R, Macnab M, Farrow E, David D, Pagliari C , Serrano Blanco A et al (2016) Pilot randomised controlled trial of Help4Mood, an embodied virtual agent-based system to support treatment of depression. J.Telemed.Telecare, 22(6), 348-355.
- Robertson HD, Elliott AM, Burton C, Iversen L, Murchie P, Porteous T & Matheson C (2016) Resilience of primary healthcare professionals: a systematic review. Br.J Gen.Pract., 66(647), e423-e433.
- Morton L, Elliott A, Thomas R, Cleland J, Deary V & Burton C (2016) Developmental study of treatment fidelity, safety and acceptability of a Symptoms Clinic intervention delivered by General Practitioners to patients with multiple medically unexplained symptoms. J.Psychosom.Res., 84, 37-43.
- Chandler A, King C, Burton C & Platt S (2016) General Practitioners' Accounts of Patients Who Have Self-Harmed. Crisis, 37(1), 42-50. View this article in WRRO
- Murchie P, Chowdhury A, Smith S, Campbell NC, Lee AJ, Linden D & Burton CD (2015) General practice performance in referral for suspected cancer: influence of number of cases and case-mix on publicly reported data. British Journal of Cancer, 112, 1791-1798. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, Lucassen P, Aamland A & Hartman TO (2015) Explaining symptoms after negative tests: towards a rational explanation. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 108(3), 84-88.
- Burton C, Lucassen P, Aamland A & olde Hartman T (2015) Towards explaining the unexplainable. Huisarts en Wetenschap, 58(9), 468-470.
- Sharma P, Scotland G, Cruickshank M, Tassie E, Fraser C, Burton C, Croal B, Ramsay CR & Brazzelli M (2015) Is self-monitoring an effective option for people receiving long-term vitamin K antagonist therapy? A systematic review and economic evaluation. BMJ Open, 5(6), e007758-e007758. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, Pinnock H & McKinstry B (2015) Changes in telemonitored physiological variables and symptoms prior to exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 21(1), 29-36.
- Burton C, Cochran AJ & Cameron IM (2015) Restarting antidepressant treatment following early discontinuation—a primary care database study. Family Practice, 32(5), 520-524.
- Burton C, Cameron I & Anderson N (2015) Explaining the variation between practices in the duration of new antidepressant treatment: a database cohort study in primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 65(631), e114-e120.
- Johnston MC, Porteous T, Crilly MA, Burton CD, Elliott A, Iversen L, McArdle K, Murray A, Phillips LH & Black C (2015) Physical Disease and Resilient Outcomes: A Systematic Review of Resilience Definitions and Study Methods. Psychosomatics, 56(2), 168-180.
- van Gils A, Burton C, Bos EH, Janssens KAM, Schoevers RA & Rosmalen JGM (2014) Individual variation in temporal relationships between stress and functional somatic symptoms. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 77(1), 34-39.
- Elliott AM, Burton CD & Hannaford PC (2014) Resilience does matter: evidence from a 10-year cohort record linkage study. BMJ Open, 4(1), e003917-e003917. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C (2014) Can we explain medically unexplained symptoms?. Family Practice, 31(6), 623-624.
- Maxwell M, Harris F, Hibberd C, Donaghy E, Pratt R, Williams C, Morrison J, Gibb J, Watson P & Burton C (2013) A qualitative study of primary care professionals' views of case finding for depression in patients with diabetes or coronary heart disease in the UK. BMC Family Practice, 14. View this article in WRRO
- Wolters M, Burton C, Matheson C, Breso A, Szentagotai A, Martinez-Miranda J, Fuster E, Rosell J, Pagliari C & McKinstry B (2013) Help4Mood--Supporting Joint Sense Making in the Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH), Washington DC.
- Rolfe A & Burton C (2013) Reassurance After Diagnostic Testing With a Low Pretest Probability of Serious Disease. JAMA Internal Medicine, 173(6), 407-407.
- Burton C, Simpson C & Anderson N (2013) Diagnosis and treatment of depression following routine screening in patients with coronary heart disease or diabetes: a database cohort study. Psychological Medicine, 43(3), 529-537.
- Burton C, McKinstry B, Szentagotai Tătar A, Serrano-Blanco A, Pagliari C & Wolters M (2013) Activity monitoring in patients with depression: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 145(1), 21-28.
- Desplenter F, Bond C, Watson M, Burton C, Murchie P, Lee AJ, Lefevre K, Simoens S & Laekeman G (2012) Incidence and drug treatment of emotional distress after cancer diagnosis: a matched primary care case–control study. British Journal of Cancer, 107(9), 1644-1651.
- Sharpe M, Burton C, Sawhney A, McGorm K & Weller D (2012) Is co-morbid depression adequately treated in patients repeatedly referred to specialist medical services with symptoms of a medical condition?. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 72(6), 419-421.
- Castro JC, Estevez S & Wolters M (2012) Psychosocial implications of avatar use in supporting therapy for depression. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 181, 329-333.
- Sharpe M, Burton C, Sawhney A, McGorm K & Weller D (2012) Is comorbid depression adequately treated in patients who have been repeatedly referred to specialist medical services?. J.Psychosom.Res., doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.03.005.
- Pagliari C, Burton C, McKinstry B, Szentatotai A, David D, Blanco AS, Ferrini L, Albertini S, Castro JC, Estevez S & Wolters M (2012) Psychosocial implications of Avatar use in supporting therapy for depression. Annual Review of CyberTherapy and Telemedicine, 10, 329-333.
- Desplenter F, Bond CM, Watson M, Burton C, Murchie P, Lee AJ, Simoens S & Laekeman G (2012) Incidence and drug treatment of emotional distress after cancer diagnosis: a matched primary care case-control study. Br.J.Cancer, 107(9), 644-651.
- Burton C, Wolters MK, Serrano-Blanco A, Szentagotai A, Ure J, Pagliari C & McKinstry B (2012) Help4Mood: avatar-based support for treating people with major depression in the community. International Journal of Integrated Care, 12(Suppl1).
- Burton C, Weller D, Marsden W, Worth A & Sharpe M (2012) A primary care Symptoms Clinic for patients with medically unexplained symptoms: pilot randomised trial. BMJ Open, 2(1), e000513-e000513. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, McGorm K, Richardson G, Weller D & Sharpe M (2012) Healthcare costs incurred by patients repeatedly referred to secondary medical care with medically unexplained symptoms: A cost of illness study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 72(3), 242-247.
- Burton C, Anderson N, Wilde K & Simpson CR (2012) Factors associated with duration of new antidepressant treatment: analysis of a large primary care database. British Journal of General Practice, 62(595), e104-e112.
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) Depression and anxiety in patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms: a case-control study. Psychological Medicine, 41(3), 555-563.
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) The interpretation of low mood and worry by high users of secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms. BMC Family Practice, 12(1). View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) Depression and anxiety in patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms: A case-control study. Psychological Medicine, 41(3), 555-563.
- Madan A, Borckardt D, Borckardt JJ, Herbert J & Cooney H (2010) A New Approach to Tracking the Harmfulness of Medical Errors in Health Care Systems. Quality Management in Health Care, 19(4), 298-303.
- McKinstry B, Hammersley V, Burton C, Pinnock H, Elton R, Dowell J, Sawdon N, Heaney D, Elwyn G & Sheikh A (2010) The quality, safety and content of telephone and face-to-face consultations: a comparative study. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 19(4), 298-303.
- McGorm K, Burton C, Weller D, Murray G & Sharpe M (2010) Patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with symptoms unexplained by organic disease: prevalence, characteristics and referral pattern. Family Practice, 27(5), 479-486.
- Burton C, Irshad T & Sheikh A (2010) Understanding the experiences of allergy testing: a qualitative study of people with perceived serious allergic disorders. Postgraduate Medical Journal, 86(1020), 591-596.
- Burton C, Heath RA, Weller D & Sharpe M (2010) Evidence of reduced complexity in self-report data from patients with medically unexplained symptoms. Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences, 14(1), 15-25.
- Smith BJ, McGorm KJ, Weller D, Burton C & Sharpe M (2009) The identification in primary care of patients who have been repeatedly referred to hospital for medically unexplained symptoms: A pilot study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 67(3), 207-211.
- Burton C, Weller D & Sharpe M (2009) Functional Somatic Symptoms and Psychological States: An Electronic Diary Study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 71(1), 77-83.
- Burton C, Knoop H, Popovic N, Sharpe M & Bleijenberg G (2009) Reduced complexity of activity patterns in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a case control study. BioPsychoSocial Medicine, 3(1), 7-7. View this article in WRRO
- Jacobs C, Rawson R, Campion C, Caulfield C, Heath J, Burton C & Kavalier F (2007) Providing a community-based cancer risk assessment service for a socially and ethnically diverse population. Familial Cancer, 6(2), 189-195.
- Burton C, Weller D & Sharpe M (2007) Are electronic diaries useful for symptoms research? A systematic review. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 62(5), 553-561.
- Burton C & Maxwell M (2007) Depression as chronic disease . British Journal of General Practice, 57(540), 582.
- Burton C, Isles C, Norrie J, Hanson R & Grubb E (2006) The safety and adequacy of antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation: A regional cohort study. British Journal of General Practice, 56(530), 697-702.
- Love T & Burton C (2005) General practice as a complex system: a novel analysis of consultation data. Family Practice, 22(3), 347-352.
- Burton C & Love T (2004) The scientific method(s) of primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 54(504), 553.
- Love T & Burton C (2004) Complexity - not as complicated as it looks. NZ Family Physician, 31(3), 139.
- Burton C (2003) Beyond somatisation: A review of the understanding and treatment of medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS). British Journal of General Practice, 53(488), 231-239.
- Burton C (2003) Beyond Somatisation: a review of the understanding and management of medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS). Br.J.Gen.Pract., 53, 233-241.
- Burton C, StC Hamilton K, Isles C & Norrie J (2001) . Journal of Cardiovascular Risk, 8(5), 307-309.
- Fox KAA, Burton C, Chadwick R, Christie B, Morrison C, Durrington PN, Sutherland KA, Dawson P, Roberts D, Payne N & Panel C (1999) Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Consensus Conference on Lipid Lowering to Prevent Vascular Events, 17 and 18 March 1999. JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH MEDICINE, 21(4), 464-467.
- Panel C (1999) Royal college of physicians of Edinburgh, consensus conference on lipid lowering to prevent vascular event, 17 and 18 March 1999. Journal of Public Health, 21(4), 464-467.
- Burton C (1996) The use of a near patient serological test for H. pylori . British Journal of General Practice, 46(409), 492.
- Burton CD (1993) Hyperventilation in patients with recurrent functional symptoms. British Journal of General Practice, 43(375), 422-425.
- Sharma P, Boyers D, Scott N, Hernández R, Fraser C, Cruickshank M, Ahmed I, Ramsay C & Brazzelli M () The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of open mesh repairs in adults presenting with a clinically diagnosed primary unilateral inguinal hernia who are operated in an elective setting: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 19(92), 1-142.
- Sharma P, Scotland G, Cruickshank M, Tassie E, Fraser C, Burton C, Croal B, Ramsay CR & Brazzelli M () The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of point-of-care tests (CoaguChek system, INRatio2 PT/INR monitor and ProTime Microcoagulation system) for the self-monitoring of the coagulation status of people receiving long-term vitamin K antagonist therapy, compared with standard UK practice: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 19(48), 1-172.
- Mills ED, Burton CD & Matheson C () Engaging the citizenship of the homeless—a qualitative study of specialist primary care providers: Table 1.. Family Practice, cmv036-cmv036.
- Rosendal M, Blankenstein AH, Morriss R, Fink P, Sharpe M & Burton C () Enhanced care by generalists for functional somatic symptoms and disorders in primary care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Pinnock H, Burton C, Campbell S, Gruffydd-Jones K, Hannon K, Hoskins G, Lester H & Price D () Clinical implications of the Royal College of Physicians three questions in routine asthma care: a real-life validation study. Primary Care Respiratory Journal, 21(3), 288-294.
- Burton C () Heavy Tailed Distributions of Effect Sizes in Systematic Reviews of Complex Interventions. PLoS ONE, 7(3), e34222-e34222. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C & Worth A () UK Resuscitation Council guidelines on emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions: a primary care perspective. Primary Care Respiratory Journal, 17(2), 60-61.
- Orchard P, Agakova A, Pinnock H, Burton CD, Sarran C, Agakov F & McKinstry B () Improving prediction of risk of hospital admission in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: application of machine learning to telemonitoring data (Preprint).
- Burton C (2002) Introduction to complexity In Sweeney K & Griffiths F (Ed.) (pp. 1-18). Oxford: Radcliffe.
- Fink P, Burton C, De Bie J, Söllner W & Fritzsche K () Current state of management and organisation of care, Medically Unexplained Symptoms, Somatisation and Bodily Distress (pp. 97-123). Cambridge University Press
Conference proceedings papers
- Burton C, Morton L, Elliott A, Deary.DV. , Cleland J & Thomas RE (2015) Multiple Symptoms Study 2 - feasibility of training GPs to deliver the Symptoms Clinic Intervention. Symptom Research in Primary Care. Vejle, Denmark, 2015.
- Wolters MK, Szentagotai-Tatar A, Matu S, Moldovan R, David D, McKinstry BH & Burton CD (2014) eHealth Support for People with Depression in the Community: A Case Study Series. Proceedings of HCI Korea (pp 138-144). Seoul, Republic of Korea