Professor Chris Burton
Professor of Primary Medical Care
Professor Chris Burton
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Sheffield S5 7AU
Tel: 0114 222 2216
Fax: 0114 222 2199
I am an academic GP with a particular interest in how doctors and patients deal with persistent physical symptoms. My work aims to help doctors explain symptoms constructively. We recognise that symptoms have both peripheral (body) and central (brain) processes and the challenge is to translate developments in science, particularly neuroscience, into explanations which safely make sense of symptoms for patients and lead to better management
I have other interests around diagnosis, testing and reassurance, and healthcare use in relation to both mental and physical ill-health. I use a variety of methods including analysis of large data, development and evaluation of clinical interventions, and technological innovation.
Within the university I lead the Academic Unit of Primary Care, and represent the Academic Unit of Medical Education on faculty research committees. I am a member of the Centre for Urgent Care Research within ScHARR.
- Burton CD, McLernon , Lee AJ & Murchie P (2017) Distinguishing variation in referral accuracy from referral threshold: analysis of a national dataset of referrals for suspected cancer. BMJ Open, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Rief W, Burton C, Frostholm L, Henningsen P, Kleinstäuber M, Kop WJ, Löwe B, Martin A, Malt U, Rosmalen J, Schröder A, Shedden-Mora M, Toussaint A & van der Feltz-Cornelis C (2017) Core Outcome Domains for Clinical Trials on Somatic Symptom Disorder, Bodily Distress Disorder and Functional Somatic Syndromes. Psychosomatic Medicine, 79(9), 1008-1015. View this article in WRRO
- Chowdhury S & Burton C (2017) Associations of treatment effects between follow-up times and between outcome domains in interventions for somatoform disorders: Review of three Cochrane reviews. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 98, 10-18. View this article in WRRO
- Adam R, de Bruin M, Burton CD, Bond CM, Giatsi Clausen M & Murchie P (2017) What are the current challenges of managing cancer pain and could digital technologies help?. BMJ Support Palliat Care. View this article in WRRO
- Mamas MA, Sperrin M, Watson MC, Coutts A, Wilde K, Burton CD, Kadam UT, Kwok CS, Clark AB, Murchie P, Buchan I, Hannaford PC & Myint PK (2017) Do patients have worse outcomes in heart failure than in cancer? A primary care-based cohort study with 10-year follow-up in Scotland. European Journal of Heart Failure. View this article in WRRO
- Burton CD, Entwistle VA, Elliott AM, Krucien N, Porteous T & Ryan M (2017) The value of different aspects of person-centred care: a series of discrete choice experiments in people with long-term conditions. BMJ Open, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Rosendal M, Olde Hartman TC, Aamland A, van der Horst H, Lucassen P, Budtz-Lilly A & Burton C (2017) “Medically unexplained” symptoms and symptom disorders in primary care: prognosis-based recognition and classification. BMC Family Practice, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Morton L, Elliott AM, Cleland JA, Deary V & Burton C (2017) A taxonomy of explanations in a general practitioner clinic for patients with persistent “medically unexplained” physical symptoms. Pat EducCouns. View this article in WRRO
- den Boeft M, Huisman D, Morton L, Lucassen P, van der Wouden JC, Westerman MJ, van der Horst HE & Burton CD (2016) Negotiating explanations: doctor–patient communication with patients with medically unexplained symptoms—a qualitative analysis. Family Practice, 34(1), 107-113.
- Robertson HD, Elliott AM, Burton C, Iversen L, Murchie P, Porteous T & Matheson C (2016) Resilience of primary healthcare professionals: a systematic review. Br.J Gen.Pract., 66(647), e423-e433.
- Morton L, Elliott A, Thomas R, Cleland J, Deary V & Burton C (2016) Developmental study of treatment fidelity, safety and acceptability of a Symptoms Clinic intervention delivered by General Practitioners to patients with multiple medically unexplained symptoms. J.Psychosom.Res., 84, 37-43.
- Chandler A, King C, Burton C & Platt S (2016) General Practitioners' Accounts of Patients Who Have Self-Harmed. Crisis, 37(1), 42-50.
- Adam R, Burton CD, Bond CM, de Bruin M & Murchie P (2016) Can patient-reported measurements of pain be used to improve cancer pain management? A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Support.Palliat.Care..
- Sharma P, Boyers D, Scott N, Hernández R, Fraser C, Cruickshank M, Ahmed I, Ramsay C & Brazzelli M (2015) The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of open mesh repairs in adults presenting with a clinically diagnosed primary unilateral inguinal hernia who are operated in an elective setting: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 19(92), 1-142.
- Burton C, Lucassen P, Aamland A & olde Hartman T (2015) Towards explaining the unexplainable. Huisarts en Wetenschap, 58(9), 468-470.
- Sharma P, Scotland G, Cruickshank M, Tassie E, Fraser C, Burton C, Croal B, Ramsay CR & Brazzelli M (2015) Is self-monitoring an effective option for people receiving long-term vitamin K antagonist therapy? A systematic review and economic evaluation. BMJ Open, 5(6), e007758-2015-007758. View this article in WRRO
- Sharma P, Scotland G, Cruickshank M, Tassie E, Fraser C, Burton C, Croal B, Ramsay CR & Brazzelli M (2015) The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of point-of-care tests (CoaguChek system, INRatio2 PT/INR monitor and ProTime Microcoagulation system) for the self-monitoring of the coagulation status of people receiving long-term vitamin K antagonist therapy, compared with standard UK practice: systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol.Assess., 19(48), 1-172.
- Murchie P, Chowdhury A, Smith S, Campbell NC, Lee AJ, Linden D & Burton CD (2015) General practice performance in referral for suspected cancer: influence of number of cases and case-mix on publicly reported data. Br.J.Cancer. View this article in WRRO
- Mills ED, Burton CD & Matheson C (2015) Engaging the citizenship of the homeless-a qualitative study of specialist primary care providers. Fam.Pract., 32(4), 462-467.
- Burton C, Szentagotai Tatar A, McKinstry B, Matheson C, Matu S, Moldovan R, Macnab M, Farrow E, David D, Pagliari C, Serrano Blanco A, Wolters M & Help4Mood Consortium (2015) Pilot randomised controlled trial of Help4Mood, an embodied virtual agent-based system to support treatment of depression. J.Telemed.Telecare.
- Burton C, Pinnock H & McKinstry B (2015) Changes in telemonitored physiological variables and symptoms prior to exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J.Telemed.Telecare, 21(1), 29-36.
- Burton C, Lucassen P, Aamland A & Hartman TO (2015) Explaining symptoms after negative tests: towards a rational explanation. J.R.Soc.Med., 108(3), 84-88.
- Burton C, Cochran AJ & Cameron IM (2015) Restarting antidepressant treatment following early discontinuation-a primary care database study. Fam.Pract., 32(5), 520-524.
- Burton C, Cameron I & Anderson N (2015) Explaining the variation between practices in the duration of new antidepressant treatment: a database cohort study in primary care. Br.J.Gen.Pract., 65(631), e114-20.
- van Gils A, Burton C, Bos EH, Janssens KA, Schoevers RA & Rosmalen JG (2014) Individual variation in temporal relationships between stress and functional somatic symptoms. J.Psychosom.Res., 77(1), 34-39.
- Johnston MC, Porteous T, Crilly M, Burton CD, Elliott A, Iversen L, Mcardle K, Murray A, Phillips LH & Black C (2014) Physical disease and resilient outcomes: a systematic review of resilience definitions and study methods. Psychosomatics.
- Elliott AM, Burton CD & Hannaford PC (2014) Resilience does matter: evidence from a 10-year cohort record linkage study. BMJ Open, 4(1), e003917-2013-003917. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C (2014) Can we explain medically unexplained symptoms?. Family Practice, 31(6), 623-624.
- Maxwell M, Harris F, Hibberd C, Donaghy E, Pratt R, Williams C, Morrison J, Gibb J, Watson P & Burton C (2013) A qualitative study of primary care professionals' views of case finding for depression in patients with diabetes or coronary heart disease in the UK. BMC Family Practice, 14. View this article in WRRO
- Wolters M, Burton C, Matheson C, Breso A, Szentagotai A, Martinez-Miranda J, Fuster E, Rosell J, Pagliari C & McKinstry B (2013) Help4Mood--Supporting Joint Sense Making in the Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH), Washington DC.
- Rosendal M, Blankenstein A, Morriss R, Fink P, Sharpe M & Burton C (2013) Enhanced care by generalists for functional somatic symptoms and disorders in primary care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 10, CD008142.
- Rolfe A & Burton C (2013) Reassurance After Diagnostic Testing With a Low Pretest Probability of Serious Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Intern.Med., 173(6), 407-416.
- Burton C, Simpson C & Anderson N (2013) Diagnosis and treatment of depression following routine screening in patients with coronary heart disease or diabetes: a database cohort study. Psychol.Med., 43(3), 529-537.
- Burton C, McKinstry B, Szentagotai Tatar A, Serrano-Blanco A, Pagliari C & Wolters M (2013) Activity monitoring in patients with depression: a systematic review. J.Affect.Disord., 145(1), 21-28.
- Desplenter F, Bond C, Watson M, Burton C, Murchie P, Lee AJ, Lefevre K, Simoens S & Laekeman G (2012) Incidence and drug treatment of emotional distress after cancer diagnosis: a matched primary care case–control study. British Journal of Cancer, 107(9), 1644-1651.
- Sharpe M, Burton C, Sawhney A, McGorm K & Weller D (2012) Is co-morbid depression adequately treated in patients repeatedly referred to specialist medical services with symptoms of a medical condition?. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 72(6), 419-421.
- Sharpe M, Burton C, Sawhney A, McGorm K & Weller D (2012) Is comorbid depression adequately treated in patients who have been repeatedly referred to specialist medical services?. J.Psychosom.Res., doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.03.005.
- Pinnock H, Burton C, Musgrave S, Lester H, Campbell S, Keeley D, Gruffyd-Jones K, Hoskins G & Price D (2012) Clinical implications of the Royal College of Physicians three questions in routine asthma care: a validation study. Prim.Care Respir.J.
- Pagliari C, Burton C, McKinstry B, Szentatotai A, David D, Serrano Blanco A, Ferrini L, Albertini S, Castro JC, Estevez S & Wolters M (2012) Psychosocial implications of avatar use in supporting therapy for depression. Stud.Health Technol.Inform., 181, 329-333.
- Desplenter F, Bond CM, Watson M, Burton C, Murchie P, Lee AJ, Simoens S & Laekeman G (2012) Incidence and drug treatment of emotional distress after cancer diagnosis: a matched primary care case-control study. Br.J.Cancer, 107(9), 644-651.
- Burton C, Wolters MK, Serrano-Blanco A, Szentagotai A, Ure J, Pagliari C & McKinstry B (2012) Help4Mood: avatar-based support for treating people with major depression in the community. International Journal of Integrated Care, 12(Suppl1).
- Burton C, Weller D, Worth A, Marsden W & Sharpe M (2012) A primary care symptoms clinic for patients with medically unexplained symptoms: pilot randomised trial. BMJOpen, 2(1), 000513. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, McGorm K, Richardson G, Weller D & Sharpe M (2012) Health care costs incurred by patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms: a case control study. J.Psychosom.Res., 72(3), 242-247.
- Burton C, Anderson N, Wilde K & Simpson CR. (2012) Factors associated with duration of new antidepressant treatment: analysis of a large primary care database. Br.J.Gen.Pract., 62(595), 104-e112.
- Burton C (2012) Heavy Tailed Distributions of Effect Sizes in Systematic Reviews of Complex Interventions. PLoS ONE, 7(3), 34222. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) Depression and anxiety in patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms: a case-control study. Psychological Medicine, 41(03), 555-563.
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) The interpretation of low mood and worry by high users of secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms. BMC Fam.Pract., 12, 107. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, McGorm K, Weller D & Sharpe M (2011) Depression and anxiety in patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with medically unexplained symptoms: a case-control study. Psychol.Med., 41(3), 555-563.
- Madan A, Borckardt D, Borckardt JJ, Herbert J & Cooney H (2010) A New Approach to Tracking the Harmfulness of Medical Errors in Health Care Systems. Quality Management in Health Care, 19(4), 298-303.
- McKinstry B, Hammersley V, Burton C, Pinnock H, Elton R, Dowell J, Sawdon N, Heaney D, Elwyn G & Sheikh A (2010) The quality, safety and content of telephone and face-to-face consultations: a comparative study. Qual Saf Health Care, 19(4), 298-303.
- McGorm K, Burton C, Weller D, Murray G & Sharpe M (2010) Patients repeatedly referred to secondary care with symptoms unexplained by organic disease: prevalence, characteristics and referral pattern. Fam.Pract., 27(5), 479-486.
- Burton C, Irshad T & Sheikh A (2010) Understanding the experiences of allergy testing: a qualitative study of people with perceived serious allergic disorders. Postgrad.Med.J., 86(1020), 591-596.
- Burton C, Heath RA, Weller D & Sharpe M (2010) Evidence of reduced complexity in self-report data from patients with medically unexplained symptoms. Nonlinear Dynamics Psychol.Life Sci., 14(1), 15-25.
- Smith BJ, McGorm KJ, Weller D, Burton C & Sharpe M (2009) The identification in primary care of patients who have been repeatedly referred to hospital for medically unexplained symptoms: a pilot study. J.Psychosom.Res., 67(3), 207-211.
- Burton C, Weller D & Sharpe M (2009) Functional Somatic Symptoms and Psychological States: An Electronic Diary Study. Psychosom.Med., 71(1), 77-83.
- Burton C, Knoop H, Popovic N, Sharpe M & Bleijenberg G (2009) Reduced complexity of activity patterns in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a case control study. Biopsychosoc.Med, 3, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C & Worth A (2008) UK Resuscitation Council guidelines on emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions: a primary care perspective. Prim.Care Respir.J, 17(2), 60-61.
- Jacobs C, Rawson R, Campion C, Caulfield C, Heath J, Burton C & Kavalier F (2007) Providing a community-based cancer risk assessment service for a socially and ethnically diverse population. Familial Cancer, 6(2), 189-195.
- Burton C, Weller D & Sharpe M (2007) Are Electronic Diaries useful for Symptoms Research: A systematic review. J.Psychosom.Res., 62(5), 553-561.
- Burton C & Maxwell M (2007) Depression as chronic disease. Br.J.Gen.Pract., 57(540), 582.
- Burton C, Isles C, Norrie J, Hanson R & Grubb E (2006) The safety and adequacy of antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation: a regional cohort study. Br.J.Gen.Pract., 56(530), 697-702.
- Love T & Burton C (2005) General practice as a complex system: a novel analysis of consultation data. Fam.Pract., 22(3), 347-352.
- Burton C & Love T (2004) The scientific method(s) of primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 54(504), 553.
- Love T & Burton C (2004) Complexity - not as complicated as it looks. NZ Family Physician, 31(3), 139.
- Burton C (2003) Beyond somatisation: A review of the understanding and treatment of medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS). British Journal of General Practice, 53(488), 231-239.
- Burton C (2003) Beyond Somatisation: a review of the understanding and management of medically unexplained physical symptoms (MUPS). Br.J.Gen.Pract., 53, 233-241.
- Burton CD, Hamilton KE, Isles CG & Norrie J (2001) Warfarin for nonvalvular atrial fibrillation in primary care--another example of the age paradox?. J.Cardiovasc.Risk, 8(5), 307-309.
- Fox KAA, Burton C, Chadwick R, Christie B, Morrison C, Durrington PN, Sutherland KA, Dawson P, Roberts D, Payne N & Panel C (1999) Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Consensus Conference on Lipid Lowering to Prevent Vascular Events, 17 and 18 March 1999. JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH MEDICINE, 21(4), 464-467.
- Panel C (1999) Royal college of physicians of Edinburgh, consensus conference on lipid lowering to prevent vascular event, 17 and 18 March 1999. J Public Health, 21(4), 464-467.
- Burton C (1996) The use of a near patient serological test for H. pylori . British Journal of General Practice, 46(409), 492.
- Burton CD (1993) Hyperventilation in patients with recurrent functional symptoms. Br.J.Gen.Pract., 43(375), 422-425.
- Lehane D, Cunliffe V, Mitchell C & Burton C () Epigenetics and primary care. British Journal of General Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Burton C, Iversen L, Bhattacharya S, Ayansina D, Saraswat L & Sleeman D () Pointers to earlier diagnosis of endometriosis: a nested case-control study using primary care electronic health records. British Journal of General Practice, bjgp17X693497-bjgp17X693497. View this article in WRRO
- Fink P, Burton C, deBie J, Sollner W & Fritzsche K (2011) Current state of management and organisation of care In Creed F, Henningsen P & Fink P (Ed.) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Burton C (2002) Introduction to complexity In Sweeney K & Griffiths F (Ed.) (pp. 1-18). Oxford: Radcliffe.
Conference proceedings papers
- Burton C, Morton L, Elliott A, Deary.DV. , Cleland J & Thomas RE (2015) Multiple Symptoms Study 2 - feasibility of training GPs to deliver the Symptoms Clinic Intervention. Symptom Research in Primary Care. Vejle, Denmark, 2015.
- Wolters MK, Szentagotai-Tatar A, Matu S, Moldovan R, David D, McKinstry BH & Burton CD (2014) eHealth Support for People with Depression in the Community: A Case Study Series. Proceedings of HCI Korea (pp 138-144). Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Burton C (Ed.) (2013) The ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Wiley-Blackwell.