Dr Caroline Mitchell MBChB DRCOG FRCGP MD PGCertMEd
General Practitioner/Senior Clinical Lecturer, Clinical Academic Training Programme Lead (AUPMC)
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Sheffield S5 7AU
Tel: 0114 222 2206
Fax: 0114 222 2219
- Senior Clinical Lecturer
- General Practitioner (Partner) Woodhouse Health Centre
- Deputy Clinical Academic Training Programme Director NHS HEE YH
- CLAHRC-YH Mental health and Co-Morbidities Implementation and Evaluation Workstream Co-Lead
- GP Appraiser (from 2003), Sheffield SYH HEE
- GP trainer HEE YH Specialty training Scheme
- Honorary Consultant in Primary Care Medicine NHSE Yorkshire and Humber
- Expert review
- Peer reviewer NIHR Programme, HTA and Health Services and Delivery Research
A GP and SCL in Primary Medical Care with research interests in: mental health/substance misuse and physical co-morbidities, musculoskeletal medicine; use of novel mobile technology interventions to reduce risk of progression to T2DM in young adults.
Methodological expertise in health service qualitative and quantitative study design and analysis including the development and evaluation of complex interventions in primary care; recruiting for clinical studies in high risk deprived and/or socially excluded populations.
Postgraduate supervision of Clinical Academic Trainees and Masters and PhD students (multidisciplinary).
- Mental health including substance misuse and primary care diagnosis and management of longterm physical co-morbidities. Management of depression in primary care
- Respiratory Health of People with serious mental illness including substance misuse
- Musculoskeletal medicine: interventions for knee pain and knee osteoarthritis; shoulder pain (textbook chapters; clinical reviews; RCGP e-learning module)
- Socioeconomic deprivation impact on access to and outcomes of care: (diabetes; substance misuse; serious mental illness): for example ‘Why do women book late for antenatal care? : a qualitative study’ ; PhD supervision and co-applicant grant funded qualitative research; Psychosocial outcomes for opiate misusers: an 11 year cohort study; Use of MHealth to enable behaviour change in diabetes prevention in high risk groups in collaboration with DR Brian McMillan from AUPMC , CATCH, Public Health
- Primary care-based randomised controlled trials of complex interventions; development and piloting of complex interventions in primary care; cohort studies; qualitative research; commissioned evaluation of service re-design and educational interventions
- PhD supervisor and examiner
- Clinical Academic training programme and individual supervision for Clinical Academics in training (AFT; NIHR Academic Clinical Fellows, Clinical Lecturers and In-practice training fellows; Regionally funded Academic Training Fellows)
- 1993-1999: Course organiser for the Community Attachment Scheme for first year medical students - tutor support and training, course development, assessment, evaluation (published) and quality assurance
- 1993-1999 & 2004-2006: Final year medical undergraduate teaching; Phase 3b small group facilitator & assessor of audit projects
External Examiner/Peer review
- Keele University:Research :Masters Programme and PhDs
- University of Leeds: External Review of the leadership module on the Intercalated Primary Care BSc
- Peer review for grants and final reports for: NIHR HSD&R; HTA programmes; NIHR programme grants
- Peer reviewer: BJPscy; BJGP
- Reviewer for the BMJ medical journal and BJGP
- Peer Reviewer for the Canadian Strategy for Patient Orientated Research (SPOR) Grant Programme 2015
Local, national and international roles
- NIHR reviewer Programme Grants for Applied Research 2016
- 2016 Canadian Institutes of Health Research: Nominated external peer reviewer: Research, Knowledge Translation and Ethics Grant Portfolio (2015/ 2016) for Chronic Diseases (‘SPOR’); Stage One evaluation for Spring 2016 Project Grant Competition
- HTA Project: 14/45/04 - Chondroitin sulphate for hand osteoarthritis: a randomised, placebo- controlled trial in primary care: The FACTUAL STUDY
- 2015 nominated and appointed as a Member of the Data Monitoring (and Ethics) Committee (DM(E)C) for the NIHR HTA Programme
- 2014 to date: Collaboration for Leadership in research in health and care (CLARHC SY): co-lead workstream ‘Implementation and evaluation’ in the Mental Health and Co-morbidities theme
- 2014 to date: General Practice representative and Academic Supervisor : Clinical Academic Working Group University of Sheffield ; The Medical School
- 2013 to date : Member of the Oxford primary care academic leadership programme Advisory committee
- Chair of the Trial Steering Committee, University of Keele, Primary care Osteoarthritis Screening Trial) 2010-2014
- 2012 to date: RCGP representative RCP National Committee for Rehabilitation Medicine
- 2011 to date : RCGP representative Q-Reeearch Steering committee: University of Nottingham
- 2007 to date: member International Oxford (formerly Brisbane) Primary Care Academic Leadership programme (Cohort 2)
- 2008-2010-member of content development group and steering group for the NHS patient decision aid for knee arthritis (launch event September 2010)
- 2008/2009: Better Outcomes for patients – member of stakeholder (NHS, Voluntary Sector, lay representation, DAAT) and expert resource group to inform the restructuring of Alcohol Services in Sheffield; facilitated by Sheffield NHS PCT
- 2005-2007: Programme lead : (1) Socially excluded groups, health inequalities, service users and carers Sheffield Health & Social Care Research Consortium
- 2004-2006: NHS R&D Forum: Member of the Primary Care Research Working Group
- 2005/2006 Consultancy lead (with Trent RDSU/ Sheffield Hallam University) to undertake an evaluation of Orthopaedic screening services by Sheffield NHS PCT and Sheffield University Hospitals trust
Research Grants Held
- Awareness and Beliefs About Cancer (ABACus): randomised controlled trial of the health check intervention to improve cancer symptom awareness and help seeking among people living in socioeconomically deprived communities: Dr Mitchell is the Sheffield CO_APP with researchers at Cardiff University and Leeds University (PI Dr K Brain Cardiff University) £486,014 for this study which is one of 5 funded projects with the Yorkshire Cancer Research Network £7million investment in 'Lung Cancer and Early Diagnosis’ Jan 17
- RCGP SFPB Co-app Feb-Oct 2016 : £10,500 “Postnatal women’s views on the use of mobile technology in facilitating sustained lifestyle change following gestational diabetes
- Sheffield Clinical Commissioning: Sept 2015 (12months) ; PI £15,000 : Development and evaluation of a patient Decision Aid for Atrial Fibrillation
- The L-Hop Pilot Study: Lung Health of Opiate substance misusers; £4000; PI (from CLAHRC SY) January 2015 ; 6 months
- Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care Yorkshire and Humber (CLAHRC YH) £10million grant to test new ways of delivering and re-designing health services and tackling health inequalities. January 2014 (five-years); Co- Lead Workstream ‘Implementation and Evaluation” Mental Health & Co-morbidities Workstream (2 sessions per month matched funding).
- A Qualitative study of patient experiences in Polymyalgia Rheumatica- £9996- H Twohig; C Mitchell (co-applicant)
- Co-applicant: The Impact of CPD on doctors performance and patient/ service outcomes for the GMC : N Mathers ; C Mitchell; ;A Hunn; B Colwell University of Sheffield/ Capita £66965 October 2011-April 2013
- Impact of NICE guidelines for depression (2004/2007) and the quality and outcomes framework in general practice; a qualitative study of patient and professional perspectives on treatment choices and outcomes (in collaboration with Community Health Sheffield Trust) Sheffield Health and Social Research Consortium. [PI] £47, 000. Nov 07 for 24 months
- GPwSI. Extended scope practitioners changing roles and support needs in an orthopaedic screening service – a qualitative study; Management of Shoulder pain in primary care; Health workers experience of neglect & abuse of the elderly : a literature review & focus group study in collaboration with University of Liege, Belgium. [PI] £56,000. Mar 2003 for 36 months.
- Costs and effectiveness of home pre- and post-operative physiotherapy for total knee replacement (TKR); a randomised controlled trial and Patient and professional perspectives of the role of physiotherapy rehabilitation in the pathway of care for TKR- a qualitative study.[PI] NHS Primary Care Research & Development Funding (Culyer): [PI] £169,107. March 1999 for 60 months.
- Improving access to maternity services Sheffield Health & Social Care Research Consortium [Co-applicant] £36,434. Sept 2005 for 24 months.
- COOP Study – The impact of workforce flexibility on the costs and outcomes of older peoples’ services. SDO programme; DOH [Co-applicant] 2005 for 36 months. £297,266
- Inter-practice multidisciplinary primary care research team; research mentorship. Trent Designated Research Team grant. [Co-applicant] £20,000, Oct 2001 for 17 months.
- NAPCRG 2015 Oral Presentation - The effects of implementing a point-of-care electronic template to prompt routine anxiety and depression case finding in patients consulting for clinical osteoarthritis (the POST trial): a qualitative study Bernadette Bartram
- Twohig H, Hodges V & Mitchell C (2018) Pre-diabetes: opportunity or overdiagnosis?. British Journal of General Practice, 68(669), 172-173. View this article in WRRO
- McMillan B, Easton K, Goyder E, Delaney B, Madhuvrata P, Abdelgalil R & Mitchell C (2018) Reducing risk of type 2 diabetes after gestational diabetes: a qualitative study to explore the potential of technology in primary care. British Journal of General Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Ricketts Tom , Saxon D, Wood E, Hulin J, Soady J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2018) The effect of comorbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition: A retrospective observational study.. Journal of Affective Disorders, 227, 366-371. View this article in WRRO
- Lehane D, Cunliffe V, Mitchell C & Burton C (2018) Epigenetics and primary care. British Journal of General Practice, 68(666), 8-9. View this article in WRRO
- Haddrill R, Jones GL, Anumba D & Mitchell CA (2017) A tale of two pregnancies: A Critical Interpretive Synthesis of women's perceptions about delayed initiation of antenatal care. Women and Birth. View this article in WRRO
- Twohig H, Jones G, Mackie SL, Mallen CDM & Mitchell C (2017) Assessment of the face validity, feasibility and utility of a patient-completed questionnaire for polymyalgia rheumatica: a postal survey using the QQ-10 questionnaire. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2017(4). View this article in WRRO
- Harrison R, Edmiston R & Mitchell C (2017) Recognising paediatric obstructive sleep apnoea in primary care: diagnosis and management. British Journal of General Practice, 67(659), 282-283. View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA, McMillan B & Hagan T (2016) Mental health help-seeking behaviours in young adults. British Journal of General Practice, 67(654), 8-9. View this article in WRRO
- McMillan B, Abdelgalil R, Madhurvata P, Easton K & Mitchell C (2016) Reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in primary care after gestational diabetes: a role for mobile technology to improve current care. British Journal of General Practice, 66(653), 631-632. View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA, Pitt A, Hulin J, Lawson R, Ashby F, Appelqvist I & Delaney B (2016) Respiratory health screening for opiate misusers in a specialist community clinic: a mixed-methods pilot study, with integrated staff and service user feedback.. BMJ Open, 6(10). View this article in WRRO
- Lehane D, Vedio A, Gregory A & Mitchell C (2016) Migrant Health. British Journal of General Practice, 66(649), 405-405. View this article in WRRO
- McMillan B, Hickey E, Patel M & Mitchell C (2016) Quality assessment of a sample of mobile app-based health behavior change interventions using a tool based on the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence behavior change guidance. Patient Education and Counseling, 99(3), 429-435. View this article in WRRO
- Kapaya H, Mercer E, Boffey F, Jones G, Mitchell C & Anumba D (2015) Deprivation and poor psychosocial support are key determinants of late antenatal presentation and poor fetal outcomes-a combined retrospective and prospective study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 15(1). View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA, Jones G & Anumba DO (2015) Why do 'high risk' women book late or not at all for antenatal care?. British Journal of General Practice, 65(640), 574-574. View this article in WRRO
- Twohig H, Mitchell C, MAllen C, Adebajo A & Mathers N (2015) "Stiffness is more than just duration and severity: a qualitative exploration in people with rheumatoid arthritis" letter in response to (Halls, et al., 54 (4): 615-622 doi:10.1093/rheumatology/keu379 ). Published 6 May 2015.. Rheumatology.
- Twohig H, Mitchell C, Mallen C, Adebajo A & Mathers N (2015) “I suddenly felt I’d aged”: A qualitative study of patient experiences of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). Patient Education and Counseling, 98(5), 645-650. View this article in WRRO
- Hickey E, McMillan B & Mitchell CA (2015) Hickey, Eamonn, Brian McMillan, and Caroline Mitchell. "Practitioners should embrace, not ignore, health apps." BMJ 350 (2015): h2336.. BMJ(350). View this article in WRRO
- Haddrill R, Jones GL, Mitchell CA & Anumba DOC (2014) Understanding delayed access to antenatal care: a qualitative interview study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 14(1). View this article in WRRO
- Parmenter J, Mitchell CA, Keen J, Oliver P, Rowse G, Neligan I, Kell C & Mathers N (2013) BJGP July 2013 issue Title: Predictive factors for successful bio-psychosocial outcomes for heroin users in primary care treatment: a cohort study. British Journal of General Practice(BJGP/2013).
- Parmenter J, Mitchell C, Keen J, Oliver P, Rowse G, Neligan I, Keil C & Mathers N (2013) Predicting biopsychosocial outcomes for heroin users in primary care treatment: a prospective longitudinal cohort study. British Journal of General Practice, 63(612), 499-505.
- Parmenter J, Mitchell CA, Keen J, Oliver P, Rowse G, Neligan I, Kell C & Mathers N (2013) BJGP July 2013 issue Title: Predictive factors for successful bio-psychosocial outcomes for heroin users in primary care treatment: a cohort study. British Journal of General Practice(BJGP/2013). View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA & Edimiston R (2013) Hearing loss in adults. British Medical Journal, 346. View this article in WRRO
- Jones G, Haddrill R, Mitchell C & Anumba D (2011) Why do women attend late for antenatal booking? A qualitative interview study exploring the perspectives of service users and stakeholders. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 65(Suppl 2), A4-A4.
- Mitchell C, Dwyer R, Hagan T & Mathers N (2011) Impact of the QOF and the NICE guideline in the diagnosis andmanagement of depression: a qualitative study. British Journal of General Practice, 61(586), 279-289.
- Mathers N & Mitchell C (2010) Erratum: Editorial (British Journal of General Practice (2010) 60:574 (317-318)). British Journal of General Practice, 60(575), 454.
- Mathers NJ & Mitchell C (2010) Are the gates to be thrown open?. British Journal of General Practice, 60(574), 317-318.
- Jones GL, Ledger W & Mitchell C (2008) Suspected premature menopause. BMJ, 336(7648), 833-833. View this article in WRRO
- Jones GL, Ledger W & Mitchell C (2008) Suspected premature menopause. Praxis, 97(20), 1089-1090.
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Enderby P, Parker S, Dixon S, Mitchell C, Bradburn M, McClimens A, Gibson C, John A, Borthwick A & Buchan J (2008) The impact of workforce flexibility on older people's services. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 15(9), 374-375.
- Adebajo AO & Mitchell C (2007) Patient's ethnicity and use of therapies in rheumatoid arthritis . Journal of Rheumatology, 34(1), 233.
- Cooke J, Mathers N & Mitchell CA (2007) Reciprocity and paying attention to process: an important issue for the UK Clinical Research Network in primary care?. Primary Health Care Research & Development(8), 292-296.
- Mitchell CA & Adebajo A (2006) Primary care guidelines in rheumatology. Rheumatology, 45(10), 1321-1321. View this article in WRRO
- Tubach F (2005) Managing osteoarthritis of the knee: Conclusions about use of NSAIDs are misleading. BMJ, 330(7492), 672-672.
- Tubach F, Ravaud P, Giraudeau B, Bjordal JM, Ljunggren AE, Klovning A, Slørdal L, Mitchell CA, Adebajo A, Chalmers R & Johnson M (2005) Managing osteoarthritis of the knee  (multiple letters). British Medical Journal, 330(7492), 672-673.
- Mitchell CA & Adebajo A (2005) Managing osteoarthritis of the knee - Holistic approach is important. BRIT MED J, 330(7492), 673-673. View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA, Walker J, Walters S, Morgan AB, Binns T & Mathers N (2005) Costs and effectiveness of pre- and post-operative home physiotherapy for total knee replacement: randomized controlled trial. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 11(3), 283-292.
- Jiwa M, Newton P, Mitchell C, Mathers N & Platts M (2001) New nursing home residents who have recently been discharged from hospital: Survey of GPs' and home managers' need for information. Journal of Clinical Governance, 9(2), 55-58.
- McMillan B, Hickey E, Mitchell C & Patel M () The need for quality assurance of health apps. BMJ, h5915-h5915. View this article in WRRO
- McClimens A, Nancarrow S, Moran A, Enderby P & Mitchell C () Riding the bumpy seas. Or the impact of the Knowledge Skills Framework component of the Agenda for Change initiative on staff in intermediate care settings.. Journal of Interprofessional Care., 10(24), 70-79.
- Furler J, Cleland J, Del Mar C, Hanratty B, Kadam U, Lasserson D D, McCowan C, Magin P, Mitchell C, Qureshi N, Rait G, Steel N, van Driel M & Ward A () Leaders, leadership and future primary care clinical research. BMC Family Practice 2008. 9:52. Doi 10.1186/1471-2296-9-52.. View this article in WRRO
- Hannay D, Mitchell C & Cheung CM () The development and evaluation of a community attachment scheme for first year medical students. Medical Teacher, 161-166.
- Mitchell CA, Adebajo A A, Hay E & Carr A () Shoulder pain: diagnosis and management in primary care.. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 1124-1128.
- Mathers N & Mitchell C () Are the gates to be thrown open? Editorial.. BJGP 2010, 574(60), 217-218. View this article in WRRO
- Buchbinder R & Mitchell C (2009) Pain in the Neck, shoulder and Arm In Adebajo A (Ed.), ABC of Rheumatology Blackwell Publishing Ltd
- Mitchell CA & Adebajo A () Primary Care management Shoulder pain, RCGP textbook of musculoskeletal medicine In primary care
Conference proceedings papers
- Seddon ACT, Lehane DB, Burr J & Mitchell C (2018) How do homeless women conceptualise access to and experience of antenatal and postnatal care in Sheffield?. Regional Society for Academic Primary Care 2018 Trent, 13 March 2018 - 13 March 2018.
- Ricketts T, Wood E, Soady J, Saxon D, Hulin J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2017) What is the effect of co-morbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition?. Society For Academic Primary Care National Conference Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Bishop D, Wood E, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2017) ‘Don't just Screen, Intervene’: What are the barriers and facilitators to weight loss for people with a serious mental illness and obesity? . A systematic narrative metasynthesis. National Conference Society for Academic Primary Care Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- McMillan B, Easton K, Delaney B, Madhurvata P, Abdelgalil R & Mitchell C (2017) Women’s views on the potential role of mobile technology in a primary care intervention aimed at reducing the risk of Type 2 diabetes amongst women recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.. Society for Academic Primary Care National Conference Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Lehane D, Mawson R & Mitchell C (2017) What factors influence access by new migrant and BME women to NHS cervical screening? Has the screening programme been adapted to improve uptake for these groups of women? A systematic narrative metasynthesis. Society for Academic Primary Care National Conference 2017, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Hynes C, Harris J & Mitchell C (2017) Support versus stigma: How do African faith organisations in the UK respond to HIV-related issues?. Society for Academic Primary Care. https://sapc.ac.uk/conference/2017/abstract/support-versus-stigma-how-do-african-faith-organisations, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- McMillan B, Easton K, Delaney B & Mitchell C (2016) Fitness bands and Facebook TM : can we reduce incident diabetes in high risk postnatal women?. RCGP Conference Book, 5 October 2016 - 7 October 2016.
- Lehane DB, Mitchell CA & Mathers N (2016) Cervical screening rates: The Roma Slovak a new migrant population. Annual Primary Care Conference 2016 View this article in WRRO
- Pitt A, Mitchell CA, Colwell B, Appelqvist I, Ashby F, Lawson R & Gilbody S (2015) Lung Health of OPiate Users (LHOp): A pilot study to assess the respiratory health of opiate misusers attending a community substance misuse clinic. Thorax (pp A230-A231)
- Mitchell CA, Appelqvist I, Pitt A, Colwell B, Ashby F & Lawson R (2015) 'When's the Lung Lady coming again?". RCGP 20th National Drug and Alcohol Conference, 15 June 2015 - 16 June 2015.
- Mitchell CA, Mathers N & Hunn A (2012) Mathers, N., Mitchell, C. and Hunn, A., 2012. A study to assess the impact of continuing professional development (CPD) on doctors’ performance and patient/service outcomes for the GMC.. Royal College of General Practitioners, 4 October 2012 - 6 October 2012.
- Mitchell CA, Twohig H, mathers N, Mallen C & Mackie SL () Assessing the face validity of a patient reported questionnaire for polymyalgia rheumatica.. SAPC Regional Conference Programme, 15 March 2016 - 15 March 2016.
- McMillan B, Hickey E, Patel M & Mitchell C () Mobile health apps: The emperor's new clothes?. Annual Conference of the Royal College of General Practitioners. Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, Glasgow, 1 October 2015 - 3 October 2015.
- McMillan B, Easton K, Delaney B & Mitchell C (2017) Reducing the risk of progression from Gestational Diabetes to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: women’s perspectives on the content, research development and evaluation of a mobile health technology lifestyle intervention to support postnatal dietary and activity lifestyle change . Patent and Public Involvement report
- Mathers N, Mitchell CA, Hunn A & Colwell B (2012) A study to assess the impact of continuing profession development (CPD) on doctors performance and patient/service outcomes. Final report for the GMC View this article in WRRO
- Mitchell CA (2007) Management of shoulder disorders in primary care View this article in WRRO
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Enderby P, Parker S, Dixon S & Mitchell C (2006) The impact of workforce flexibility on the costs and outcomes of older peoples’ services: A policy and literature review View this article in WRRO
- Nancarrow S, Moran A, Enderby P, Parker S, Dixon S & Mitchell C () The impact of workforce flexibility on the costs and outcomes of older peoples’ services