Dr Rebecca Mawson
BSc, MBChB, MRCGP, DRCOG, DFRSH
GP & NIHR In-Practice Fellow
Academic Unit Of Primary Medical Care
University of Sheffield
Sam Fox House
Northern General Hospital
Telephone number: +44 (0)114 222 2214
Fax number: +44 (0) 114 222 2219
I studied medicine at the University of Leeds, graduating in 2010. After completing foundation training in Leeds and Dewsbury, I worked in Christchurch, New Zealand for 18 months working in obstetrics and gynaecology. I completed my GP training in Harrogate in 2014 before moving to my home town of Sheffield.
My special area of interest is around addressing inequalities in sexual and reproductive health provision in primary care. In 2014 I started working at the University of Sheffield and was awarded an NIHR In-Practice Training Fellowship in 2016 and a RCGP Scientific Foundation Grant to undertake the my MD research.
I am working with the Local Authority in Sheffield to champion sexual and reproductive health in primary care, acting as advocate and spokesperson. Part of this work is redesigning the provision of long acting contraception and targeting at need, vulnerable groups.
Current Research Activity
- Determining the barriers and facilitators for general practice to address inequalities in sexual and reproductive healthcare access and uptake from the patient and provider perspective.
- Implementing asymptomatic screening in primary care – including HIV and self-testing
- Practice nurse education sessions – PLI for Sheffield.
- Medical student teaching – research methods. Diversity and ethnicity lectures.
- Organise seminar programme for Academic unit of Primary care.
- Contributor to Guidelines in practice and Pulse educational sessions.
- Practical implementation tips: sexual and reproductive health. Guidelines in Practice, 20(12), 44-49.
- Facial rashes: what’s the diagnosis?. Guidelines in Practice, 20(5), 9-16.
- Practical implementation tips: acne. Guidelines In Practice, 19(9), 44-52.
- Practical implementation tips: rosacea. Guidelines in Practice, 19(6), 60-66.
- Practical implementation tips: psoriasis. Guidelines in Practice, 18(12), 45-52.
- Adult Acne, Dermatology: Acne (pp. 128-128). Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Conference proceedings papers
- What factors influence access by new migrant and BME women to NHS cervical screening? Has the screening programme been adapted to improve uptake for these groups of women? A systematic narrative metasynthesis. Society for Academic Primary Care National Conference 2017, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.