Dr Joanne Thompson BA (Hons) MSc, HE Dipl Coun, PhD
Senior University Teacher
Co-Director of Studies (Phase 2a/b)
Student Selected Component (SSC) Lead
CAS and Communication Skills (Phase 2b) Lead
Academic Unit of Primary Medical Care
Samuel Fox House Room 212, 2nd Floor
Northern General Hospital
Sheffield. S5 7AU
Tel: 0114 222 2208 (UK)
Fax: 0114 222 2219
I started working for the University of Sheffield in August 1998 as a Research Associate and was promoted to Research Fellow in 2004.
In 2004 I qualified as a counsellor.
In 2010 I was awarded my PhD In the Psychosocial impact of breast cancer for patients and their partners approaching discharge from routine hospital follow-up.
In 2014 I became Co-Director of Studies for Phase 2a/b and theme lead for Student Selected Components of the MBChB program.
Social Accountability of Medical Schools and impact on medical students.
The psychosocial impact of breast cancer and late effects of cancer and its treatment.
The role of primary care in the management of children with long term conditions.
Widening participation in Medical Education.
- Co-Director of Phase 2a/b.
- Medical Education and curricular development.
- Enhanced support for students experiencing difficulty.
- Theme lead for Student Selected Components for the MBChB.
- Social Accountability and medical students.
- Communication and Consultations Skills.
- Psychosocial impact of illness (Community Attachment Scheme).
- Widening participation in Medical Education.
- Social accountability and medical education
- Supervision of Undergraduate and Postgraduate qualitative research
- Jones, G. L., Jacques, R. M., Thompson, J., Wood, H. J., Hughes, J., Ledger, W., Tidy, J. A.(2015). The impact of surgery for vulval cancer upon health-related quality of life and pelvic floor outcomes during the first year of treatment: A longitudinal, mixed methods study. Psycho-Oncology. doi:10.1002/pon.3992
- Brown, S., Greenfield, D., & Thompson, J. (2015). Knowledge and awareness of long-term and late treatment consequences amongst colorectal cancer survivors: A qualitative study. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. doi:10.1016/j.ejon.2015.08.005
- Willis, A., Swann, J., & Thompson, J. (2015). Childhood long-term conditions in primary care: a qualitative study of practitioners' views.. Br J Gen Pract, 65(638), e593-e600. doi:10.3399/bjgp15X686509
- Bowes, H., Jones, G., Thompson, J., Alazzam, M., Wood, H., Hinchliff, S., . . . Tidy, J. (2014). Understanding the impact of the treatment pathway upon the health-related quality of life of women with newly diagnosed endometrial cancer - A qualitative study. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 18(2), 211-217. doi:10.1016/j.ejon.2013.10.007
- Thompson, J., Coleman, R., Colwell, B., Freeman, J., Greenfield, D., Holmes, K., . . . Reed, M. (2014). Preparing breast cancer patients for survivorship (PREP) - A pilot study of a patient-centred supportive group visit intervention. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 18(1), 10-16. doi:10.1016/j.ejon.2013.10.004
- Joanne Thompson, Rob Coleman, Brigitte Colwell, Jenny Freeman, Diana Greenfield, Karen Holmes, Nigel Mathers and Malcolm Reed (2012) Levels of distress in breast cancer survivors approaching discharge from routine hospital follow-up. Psycho-oncology DOI:10.1002/pon.3229
- Brown I and Thompson J (2007) Primary care nurses’ attitudes, beliefs and own body size in relation to obesity management. Journal of Advanced Nursing 60 (5), 535-543.
- Brown I, Stride C, Psarou K, Brewins L, Thompson J. (2007) Management of Obesity in primary care: nurses’ practices, beliefs and attitudes. Journal of Advanced Nursing 59(4), 329-341.
- Ian Brown, Georgina Jones, Joanne Thompson, Angela Todd. (2006) Obesity Stigma and Quality of life. International Journal of the interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Volume 1, No 2. (http://www.SocialSciences-Journal.com, ISSN 1833-1882)
- Simon Dixon, Kevin Morgan, Nigel Mathers, Joanne Thompson, Maureen Tomeny (2006) Impact of cognitive behavior therapy on health related quality of life among adult hypnotic users with chronic insomnia. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 4(2), 71-84.
- Jiwa M, Thompson J, Coleman R, Reed M (2006) Breast Cancer follow-up: could primary care be the right venue? Current Medical Research and Opinion Vol 22, No 4, 625-630
- Brown I, Thompson J, Tod A, Jones G (2006) Primary care support for tackling obesity: a qualitative study of the perceptions of obese patients British Journal of General Practice, Vol 56 (530), 666-672.
- Morgan K, Dixon S, Mathers N, Thompson J, Tomeny M. (Feb 2004) Psychological treatment for Insomnia in the regulation of long-term hypnotic drug use Health Technology Assessment Monograph Vol 8 No 8
- Morgan K., Dixon S., Mathers N., Thompson J, and Tomeny M. (2003) Psychological treatment for insomnia in the management of long-term hypnotic drug use: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. British Journal of General Practice Vol 53 No 497 p923-928
- Morgan K., Thompson J., Dixon S., Tomeny M., Mathers N. Predicting longer-term outcomes following psychological treatment for hypnotic-dependent chronic insomnia. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 54 (2003) 21-29