I am relying on alcohol or drugs to make me feel better

Note: Self-help is not suitable for those who are feeling desperate or have frequent suicidal feelings. Please see your GP or contact Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) as soon as possible.

In Crisis - mental wellbeing

You will not be judged if you come forward with concerns about drugs.

The University Health Service, and the Student Advice Centre, are both confidential services, as are all support services in the city.

Here are Sheffield’s specialist practitioners for alcohol, drugs or smoking, that you can contact for one off advice or ongoing support.

Sheffield Drugs and Alcohol Coordination Team (DACT)

  • Alcohol Helpline: 0845 345 1549
  • Drug Helpline: 0114 272 1481
  • Alcohol appointments available 9am-5pm Mon-Fri and made via helpline.
  • Needle exchange available.
  • Run by professionals and confidential service.

Sheffield Alcohol Support Service

  • Contact form online
  • Need a fast response? Call the office on 0114 258 7553 9am-5pm Mon-Fri.
  • Alcohol Recovery Community (ARC) runs activities and exercise, events and a peer support network so you don’t feel alone.

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS) has qualified staff that may be able to help you with difficulties that may be recent or may have happened some time ago.

All students where possible are offered a triage appointment. The session provides an opportunity for you to talk briefly about your situation.

The appointment may be sufficient in itself but if you need further support we can identify what is available within the University or externally.

None of the above?

Contact Central Welfare and Guidance. Or if in doubt, go to SSiD on Level 3, Students’ Union Building