MLT6061/6062 Enhanced Languages Project
|Co-requisite||Enrolment on a 10-credit Languages-for-All module in the same semester.|
|Public||Postgraduate Students (PGT Students) taking a language with the Languages for All Programme for credits.|
|Teaching period||- MLT6061: Autumn semester
- MLT6062: Spring semester
See: Dates, Timetable and Venues.
|Contact times||Introduction meeting in week 2. Two Seminars, 2 hours in Week 4 and 2 hours in Week 9.|
|Group size||Maximum of 22 students.|
Students will be asked to identify their language learning needs in relation to their Postgraduate studies and will learn ways to explore and develop strategies to become more effective independent language learners. They will develop their analytical skills by focussing on a specific aspect of the language system and by exploring specific language features of their choice in a sociolinguistic perspective.
Most of the work will be carried out independently but students will also attend one introductory meeting and two seminars introducing the theoretical and practical framework for the completion of the Enhanced Languages Project and providing a forum for the discussion of appropriate research options.
Emphasis is set on:
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
1) Articulate how studying a language has benefitted their Postgraduate studies
2) Set their learning goals, demonstrate awareness of different language learning techniques and materials and adopt effective learning strategies in their independent study
3) Analyse an area of the language system studied in a systematic and independent manner
4) Show awareness of a variety or resources and methods that can be used when analysing a language system
5) Demonstrate awareness of the socio-linguistic approach to languages
6) Consider the effect that social factors and context have on a specific language mode
Reading list provided on MOLE.
|Assessment & Feedback||
Summative assessment (compulsory for credited students):
Project Portfolio comprising of two tasks.
|Validation & Recognition||Postgraduate modularised accreditation.|
|Module Leader||Anna Ferrarese|