On Wednesday 11 May the Department of Music hosted an employability event, inviting a varied panel of department alumni to come and talk to current students about life and careers after University. Speakers included:
• Tracy Bryant, Concerts Manager at Music in the Round
• James Cross, secondary school teacher and advisor for Musical Futures
• Anna Williams, Music publisher with Oxford University Press
• Graeme Atkinson, Director of Vault Studios
• Polly Ives, Education and Outreach Manager at Music in the Round
• Stewart Campbell, Concerts Director, University of Sheffield
• Liz Hanks, freelance musician and teacher
• Susan Pennington, Sound Editor at Confetti Studios.
They were also joined by Hilary Whorrall of the university’s Careers Service, who gave advice on other career resources and guidance offered by the university. The panel discussion was followed by a wine reception within the department, and by all accounts was a valuable and enjoyable event.
The discussion, along with an online questionnaire sent to both graduates and current students, will form the basis of the new alumni web pages. These will aim to strengthen bonds with graduates of the department as well as offering a resource of advice and guidance for current students as they begin to plan for their futures.