George Nicholson appointed President of the Sheffield Bach Choir.
The Sheffield Bach Choir has been in existence since 1950 and for most of that time has had a firm connection with the Music Department. One of the founding figures was Roger Bullivant, who acted from the beginning as the choir's accompanist and became its conductor in 1962. He retired from that position in 2000, but the choir's link with the University was for the time being maintained by the continuing presence of Alan Brown as its accompanist. Currently the Choir is conducted by Simon Lindley.
In succession to the Reverend Canon Trevor Page, George Nicholson has been appointed President of the Sheffield Bach Choir, and the association with the University's Department of Music is therefore assured for the forseeable future. George's first public engagement with the Choir took place in December, when he conducted the annual informal 'Come Sing Messiah' event in Dore Parish Church with Simon Lindley at the organ.