The research interests of the Department's staff cover a wide spectrum, and postgraduate students at Sheffield can expect to receive expert supervision from active scholars in numerous fields of study. We offer taught MA degrees that involve a balance of research training, taught elements and original research (including performance and composition). We also offer MA degrees taught by distance learning. Joint-and Remote-Location programmes cater for international students who wish to study for their PhD while remaining located overseas.
The Department aims to create a stimulating intellectual and musical environment, designed to foster original and creative research among its postgraduates by:
- Encouraging day-to-day contact with peers and staff, thereby building a sense of community.
- Holding a regular Research Seminar (featuring staff speakers, visiting scholars and postgraduates) as a forum for intellectual enquiry and debate.
- Providing postgraduates with a study room and with studio facilities for music processing and associated work.
- Providing equipment for recording, field study and transcriptions.
- Offering grants for conference attendance and research expenses.
- Asking postgraduates to take a leading role in its concert giving.
- Providing opportunities to gain experience at lecturing where possible.
* The content of our courses is reviewed annually to make sure it's up-to-date and relevant. Individual modules are occasionally updated or withdrawn. This is in response to discoveries through our world-leading research; funding changes; professional accreditation requirements; student or employer feedback; outcomes of reviews; and variations in staff or student numbers. In the event of any change the University will consult and inform students in good time and will take reasonable steps to minimise disruption.
Students involved with performance may be required to meet some associated costs. These are variable depending on the nature of performance, and may include (but are not limited to) accompanist fees, the purchase of music/scores, hire of instruments and equipment.