We understand how important it is to gain hands-on experience, whether you aspire to perform, compose, teach, engineer, administer or research music, or to pursue a career outside music. At Sheffield you have a wide range of ensembles to play in, as well as a wealth of placements, internships and volunteering schemes to help you develop your CV.
Most people choose a music degree because they really love making music. At Sheffield there are a host of opportunities to get involved in music-making, whether as performer or audience-member. Find out more about making music.
Placements, Internships and Volunteering
At Sheffield we help you to gain all-important work experience whilst studying for your degree. Some opportunities are incorporated into modules; some are run by the department; and some are administered centrally by the university. Follow the links to find out more.
- Our modules Music in Education, Music in the Community, and Music Business involve placements with local schools, venues and music organisations
- Student-led volunteering organisation Music in the City (see our Music in the Community webpage)
- Internships with the department’s Concerts Producer, and with Music in the Round
- Our students benefit from our partnership in Sheffield Music Hub
- On CampUS Placements
- Sheffield Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
- Sheffield Volunteering, run by the Students’ Union
- Training and credit-bearing modules from University of Sheffield Enterprise
- Summer Placement scheme run by the Careers Service
BMus with Employment Experience
With the help of a dedicated Arts and Humanities Placements Officer, all students have the option of securing a year-long work placement and transferring onto a degree 'with Employment Experience'. A Placement Year usually sits in between the penultimate and final years of a degree course.
You can spend the second year of our BMus programme at a university abroad. The University of Sheffield has exchange agreements in place with universities in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore and the USA for the Study Abroad programme.