1. BLASTing loci: Checking the loci you are using (or have developed) are unique.
2. Using Standalone Blast: Stand alone BLASTing to check for duplicate loci
3. Microsatellite Library Problem Solving: Common problems observed with microsatellite primers due to poor microsatellite library construction; includes some fundamental checks to establish why primers may be failing to amplify.
4. Unenriched library preparation: Preparing an unenriched microsatellite library (draft!)
5. Ammonium acetate DNA extraction (as used with bird blood)
DNA Quality and Concentration Estimation
10. Calculating DNA concentration: using markers of known concentration on agarose gel along with a fluorimeter
Other Technical Guides
11. Performing PCR (with PCR recipes)
12. Preparing acrylamide gels and silver staining (coming soon)
13. Molecular sexing of birds (see also SMGF Bird sex-typing using genetic markers)
15. Semi-automated fluorescent genotyping (full method, starting from the blood/tissue)
16. Sequencing Protocol (draft!)
Protocols From Other Sources
We have provided these protocols as a courtesy, in the hope that this will help you in your research. Although we have taken great care to record them accurately, we do not accept any responsibility for the accuracy or for any costs or damages that you might suffer as a consequence of mistakes in these protocols. If you use these protocols it is implicit that you accept the conditions of this disclaimer.
Please acknowledge the Biomolecular Analysis Facility at Sheffield and the Natural Environmental Research Council when using these protocols.
"The laboratory work was assisted by the protocols provided by the Biomolecular Analysis Facility at Sheffield which is funded by the Natural Environmental Research Council, UK."
We would be grateful for suggested corrections / improvements to any of these protocols. Please contact Dr Deborah Dawson.
email : firstname.lastname@example.org