CPPD Modules in Genomic Medicine
We currently offer all the taught modules as individual CPPD modules.
New for 2018:
Clinical Bioinformatics and Personalisation of Medicine:
The module aims at providing the theoretical and practical knowledge that health professionals need in order to quantitatively analyse health data and develop personalized treatments for patients. You will gain real-world experience by learning from both the public and private sectors involved in genetic diagnostics and drug development. The delivery will be in a “flipped-teaching” structure with online courses and a two day face-to-face practical with lecturers (April 16 and 17, 2018).
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Mine genomics data from public and private repositories
- Manage and statistically analyse big healthcare data sets using software, such as Linux and R
- Explain how gene panels are developed and accessed
- Explain the drug development pipeline for targeted and personalised treatments
- Identify and characterise new genetic markers for stratifying patients and treating cancers
- Propose new solutions to real-world problems affecting the treatment and diagnosis of complex diseases (eg. cancer and Alzheimer’s)
- Translate your understanding of bioinformatics and genomics into actionable information for healthcare providers
2. Introduction to R programming
3. Basics of statistics
4. Extracting a gene panel
5. Measuring genotype-phenotype associations
6. Drug target identification
7. Detecting biomarkers of drug response
If you are indeed interested in the module and wish to view the other online lessons, then please send an email to (email@example.com) so that you can receive further updates. Please reply even if you have formally registered for this module and let me know that you can access the first lesson.
To apply, you will need to do so in order to receive rest of the online material and attend our practical session with instructors. To register for the module: http://arp.shef.ac.uk/apply/course/code/medt38
The full cost of module is £1000. To obtain HEE funding for this module, go to this website and request additional CPPD funding (before April 16) for Sheffield: https://www.genomicseducation.hee.nhs.uk/taught-courses/cppd-funding/