Helen Davis [DBO(T)]
Professor of Orthoptics
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology & Orthoptics
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9005
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 3314
I joined the University in Sheffield in 1991 to set up the degree programme in Orthoptics. The first intake of 30 students was in 1992 and since then we have increased our yearly intake to 40.
During my time in Sheffield Orthoptics has received excellent QA reports from QAA and HPC. I have also co-authored the core Orthoptic text book used in the UK and worldwide. I have continued to participate in research and was invited to give the prestigious Roger Trimble lecture at the British Isles Strabismus Association in 2006.
I am currently head of the Orthoptic section of the Academic Unit of Ophthalmology & Orthoptics. I am a member of the School Teaching Unit Board, Faculty Learning & Teaching Committee, Inter-Professional Learning Group and Fitness to Practise group. I also sit on student review and disciplinary panels.
My research interests are stereovision and testing techniques in Orthoptic practice. My collaboration with Professor John Frisby from the department of Psychology led to the design of a new distance stereotest now used in clinics worldwide.
I am a member of the multi centre Intermittent exotropia research strategy group led by the University of Newcastle.
Curriculum design and development. The application of theory to practice and the value of evidence based practice including practice placement education. Quality assurance and fitness to practice. I teach all three years of students on the BMedSci Orthoptics programme and particularly enjoy the research project supervision
- Member of Health Profession Council (HPC) Education & Training Committee
- Chair and member of HPC education Approval panels
- Member of HPC Professional Liaison Groups setting standards for Education & Training, Standards of Proficiency and Standards of Conduct Performance & Ethics
- Member of British & Irish Orthoptic Society Education Committee
- Research mentor for British & Irish Orthoptic Society
- Member of the London Ophthalmology Deanery
- Member of SHA Liaison Group for National Orthoptic Education Provision
- Member of European Strabismological Association
- Member of International Strabismological Association
- Member of British & Irish Orthoptic Association
- Member of International Orthoptic Association
- Reviewer for projects submitted to Sheffield Teaching Hospitals research department
- Honorary clinical contract with Royal Hallamshire Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust
- Intermittent exotropia
- Ansons AM, Davis H. Diagnosis and Management of Ocular Motility Disorders 2000 Blackwell Science.
- Lindstrom A, Davis H, Frisby JP. Does binocularly perceived depth correlate with reduced stereoacuity? Ophthal Physiol Opt 2009; 29: 92–98.
- Davis H, Frisby JP, Pilkington AM, Buckley D. Does the size of stereogram affect stereoacuity? Transactions 31st European Strab Assoc Meeting, Mykynos, May 2007 265-7.
For a full list of publications please visit myPublications