Dr Carmel Pezaro, BHB MBChB, FRACP, DMedSc, MHPE
Yorkshire Cancer Research (YCR) Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology
Department of Oncology & Metabolism
Weston Park Hospital
Sheffield, S10 2SJ
For admin assistance please contact - +44 (0)114 215 9021
Email : email@example.com
• Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery 2000, Auckland School of Medicine, NZ.
• Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Physicians 2008 (Medical Oncology).
• Doctor of Medical Science 2011, University of Melbourne, Aus.
• Masters of Health Professional Education 2018, Monash University, Aus.
I am a medical oncologist and researcher, with a particular interest in prostate cancer. Following oncology training and a doctoral degree in urothelial cancer, I spent two years working in the Prostate Cancer Targeted Therapy Group at The Institute of Cancer Research / Royal Marsden.
From 2013 until 2018 I worked as a medical oncologist at Eastern Health and Monash University in Melbourne, where I participated in laboratory and clinical research programs. I was the deputy chair of the Australian and New Zealand Urogenital and Prostate trials group (ANZUP) prostate cancer subcommittee and was actively involved in collaborative and industry trials. My research output includes 70 publications since 2008 and both chief and co-investigator grant funding. As a complement to my academic research interest, I undertook a Master of Health Professional Education, which I completed in mid-2018.
In October 2018 I moved to Sheffield to commence a 5-year clinical research fellowship with Yorkshire Cancer Research, alongside clinical duties.
• Prostate cancer
• Urogenital cancers
• Clinical and translational research
• Supportive care strategies
• Patient-centred research
I have a strong education interest and have been actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate education activities. From 2013 – 2017 I was the postgraduate research degree coordinator at Eastern Health Clinical School. I am an experienced educational supervisor and in 2017 was the primary supervisor for a Monash University BMedSc(Hons) student, who achieved an H1 thesis and poster presentation at ASCO-GU.
I have participated in health and community group education and engagement sessions around cancer, research and cancer therapies.
I am a member of national and international oncology societies. I have attended multiple local, national and international conferences, including presentation of submitted abstracts. I was a member of the organising committee for the ANZUP 2014 -2018 annual scientific meetings and Convenor for the 2017 ASM.
International speaker invitations include: 2018 American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting in Chicago – Education Session (topic: PARP inhibition in prostate cancer); 2017 Asia Pacific Prostate Cancer Conference; 2015 European Society for Medical Oncology Asia Summit.
I acted as external reviewer for NHMRC Australia project grants in 2015, 2016 and 2018. I was a panel member for the NHMRC HDR Scholarship panel in 2016 and 2017, and panel chairperson in 2018.
As well as providing regular peer review for oncology journals, I am currently on the editorial board of Cancer Treatment Reviews and Annals of Oncology.
My fellowship project will focus on novel management strategies for men undergoing active treatment for advanced prostate cancer.
1. Soon JA…C Pezaro (last author), Exploring the spectrum of late effects following radical orchidectomy for stage I testicular seminoma: a systematic review of the literature. Supp Care Ca 2018. In press – accepted Sept 2018.
2. Pezaro CJ, Marciscano A and R Madan, The Winds of Change: Emerging Therapeutics in Prostate Cancer. American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book, 2018. Volume 38: 382-90.
3. Porter LH, Lawrence MG… Pezaro C* (joint last author), Risbridger GP*, Taylor RA*, Systematic Review Links the Prevalence of Intraductal Carcinoma of the Prostate to Prostate Cancer Risk Categories. Eur Urol 2017. 72: 492-5.
4. Davis ID, Xie W, Pezaro C et al, Efficacy of Second-line Targeted Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma According to Change from Baseline in International Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Database Consortium Prognostic Category. Eur Urol 2016. 71: 970-8.
5. Pezaro C et al, Precision, complexity and stigma in advanced prostate cancer terminology: it is time to move away from ‘castration-resistant’ prostate cancer. Ann Oncol 2017. 28: 1692-4.
6. Carreira S*, Romanel A*, Goodall J*, Grist E, Ferraldeschi R, Miranda S, Prandi D, Lorente D, Frenel J-S, Pezaro C, et al, Tumor clone dynamics in lethal prostate cancer. Sci Transl Med 2014. 6, 254ra125: 1-10.
7. Pezaro C et al, Activity of cabazitaxel in castration-resistant prostate cancer progressing after docetaxel and next generation endocrine agents. Eur Urol 2014. 66(3): 459-65.
8. Pezaro C*, Omlin A* (Joint first authors) et al, Visceral disease in castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 2014. 65: 270-3.
9. Omlin A*, Pezaro C* (Joint first authors) et al, Improved survival in a cohort of trial participants with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer demonstrates the need for updated prognostic nomograms. Eur Urol, 2013. 64: 300-6.
10. Pezaro C and G Attard, Redefining the therapeutic landscape for CRPC. Nat Rev Urol, 2012. 9: 63-4.