Consent form guidance notes

This page provides guidance notes for our consent form.

It explains why we have to have a consent form and the clauses within it. The consent form has been written in such a way as to cover the creation and use of images and recordings of you for use within internal facing channels, such as MOLE, which are not normally visible to anyone who is not a University member.

It also covers the use of recordings for outward facing channels such as YouTube, iTunes U, Futurelearn, Facebook, Twitter etc. The outward facing channels are collectively known as our “digital presence”.

Summary of key points

  • It is a legal requirement for you to consent to being filmed or recorded and these recordings being used by the University
  • The consent form is for a “non-exclusive” license - so you can use your materials elsewhere as appropriate
  • It is not a blanket license - you can choose which contributions you consent to use (or not), and on which channels (or not)
  • It is not in perpetuity - so you have the right to request materials are removed from public or inward facing channels in the future if you wish
  • You have to take responsibility for the use of any copyrighted materials in your contributions


Under copyright law (the Copyright Designs and Patents Act of 1988), we all have certain rights surrounding what we do and things we create. Under this law, any presentations or lectures we give are covered by performance rights. Performance rights offer a performer (in this case lecturer or presenter) control over whether their performances should be recorded, and also how these recordings are subsequently used e.g. whether they can be distributed or not, by what means, to whom etc. In short they give you copyright control over your recordings, and in order for the University to use recordings of you, you need to agree to this.

Because the University makes content available via a number of channels, such as YouTube, iTunes U, Futurelearn and other external partners acting as our authorised agents, we need you to agree to these publishing any recordings made of you.

My contributions

This clause basically states that you are agreeing to be recorded for the purposes of learning and teaching, research, public engagement and other forms of promotional activity. Sometimes the University will employ freelance photographers and video producers to do this recording. In all cases it should be made clear to you for what purpose the recordings are being made

It is also quite common that you might use your own resources in teaching or presenting your research, such as photographs you have taken or videos you have made. It would include any videos, audio podcasts or screencasts you have produced yourself and wish to have included in the University’s digital presence. This clause also allows the University to use these alongside recordings of you e.g. in a lecture.


It is possible that in the production of a video, that you might be filmed or interviewed, and during the production process, it may transpire that these recordings are not used, or might be used in full. We are happy to take down materials at a subsequent date if you are not happy with them but ask that you don’t impede the production process once you have consented. We will give contributors the opportunity to approve materials before publication if requested.

The rights of others

It is essential that you have the correct permission to use any third party copyrighted materials in your contributions. There is full guidance available on the use of copyrighted materials available by following the link to Copyright In Online Environments on the right hand menu.

If your contribution features research that has been funded by other agencies, or is subject to any form of embargo, then you must make sure that you are allowed to disseminate the results of this via our digital presence.

Finally you are requested to inform others present e.g. students or members of the public if a recording is taking place. The do not need to consent unless they are taking an active speaking role in the recording. In a public lecture you are recommended to reiterate any questions from audience members as these will not normally be included in the final recording.

Legality and academic freedom

Your contribution must be legal (e.g promote racial or other forms of violence or discrimination) and not be defamatory or slanderous. The University does however defend the right to normal academic freedom, which is defined in the University’s statutes as follows

“Academic freedom is about ensuring that staff in academic roles have the freedom within the law to question and test received wisdom, and to put forward new ideas and controversial or unpopular opinions, without placing themselves in jeopardy of losing their jobs or privileges.”

Use within UoS

Ticking this box means you are licensing the University to use your contributions via its inward facing channels. These are those by which you need to be a registered member of the University’s IT facilities to access the materials, whether via password protected channels such as MOLE, or parts of the University web site that are similarly restricted. The licensing is non-exclusive so you would be able to use your recording in other places where appropriate, although some there may be some restrictions over this (e.g. medical materials).

Use outside UoS

Ticking this box means you are licensing the University to use your contributions via its outward facing digital presence. Access to these materials would not generally be restricted so they would be available to the general public. Again this is a non-exclusive licensing so you are free to use these contributions in other places too such as your own or your Department’s YouTube channel.

My details

Please use this section to give your contact details. You can use the “Name of project/contribution” field to limit your consent to a specific piece of content or channel if you wish to do so, or leave blank if you are happy for this consent to apply to all your contributions.

Download the consent form

You can complete the form electronically and email to us at - this is preferable than a paper copy.

Access the consent form