A bright future
Organisations such as Boeing, Rolls-Royce and the Wellcome Trust invest millions of pounds in our University because our academics are world leaders in their fields.
Our reputation for excellence means our graduates are in demand. All our degree course give students transferable skills that are highly valued by employers. Our strong links with industry guarantee the relevance of our degree programmes and equip our graduates for careers at the cutting edge of their chosen fields. They’ll develop communication, team working, analytical and presentation skills.
Our Careers Service
The University Careers Service provides support and guidance at every stage of a student's time at Sheffield. We have:
- Trained and qualified staff able to discuss all aspects of career planning
- Well-established links with many local and national employers
- A dedicated student jobs and work experience unit, helping students to find part- time, voluntary and vacation work to gain valuable employment experience
- A wide range of events including talks and workshops, careers fairs, and presentations and skills-development sessions led by graduate employers
- A careers library with information on all areas of graduate careers, postgraduate study and other options
- A publicly accessible website containing a wide range of careers information resources
Students will benefit from a top quality, innovative Careers Service, staffed by experts who will listen and respond to their needs. They can speak to a Careers Adviser who will discuss what options are open to them after taking their degree, and share what other graduates from their course have gone on to do. It’s never too early to think about careers. The earlier they have an idea of what jobs interest them, the earlier they can apply for work experience, an internship or an insight day, to find out what each job is really like.
For more information please see our pages for students at the Careers Service Support page.
Student Job Shop
Top graduate employers expect graduate applicants to have gained work experience during their time as a student. Our Student Jobshop and Work Experience Team can assist with everything from part-time jobs to summer internships, voluntary work and longer placements, in order to help students gain a foothold in their chosen career. They advertise hundreds of opportunities and can provide advice on making strong job applications.
For more information please see our pages for students at the Student Jobshop page.