Music and Philosophy BA
This course enables you to develop your musical abilities while learning about philosophical issues that have challenged thinkers for centuries.
On this course you can take modules in the history and psychology of music, ethnomusicology, jazz and popular music, music education, music technology, and music business. If you create a degree path that includes performance, you are given expert tuition on your principal instrument.
A personal tutor - one from Music and one from Philosophy - will work with you over three years to help you make the most of your studies and encourage you to excel. The Music element of the degree is assessed through projects, performances, and coursework, giving you a chance to develop your skills and interests in an independent and creative manner. Find out more about the Music side of the course, including Music modules.
The Philosophy department offers an exciting range of modules taught by researchers who are experts in their field. You can develop your understanding of the key areas of philosophy, such as ethics, aesthetics, philosophy of mind, theory of knowledge, metaphysics, and logic. We also offer modules on major figures in the history of philosophy, from Plato and Aristotle to Kant and Hegel, among others.
The Philosophy side of the degree is highly flexible, with no required modules. Dual students have the choice of exactly the same modules as single Philosophy students. Philosophy modules
More information on Music and Philosophy BA is available on the University 2019 prospectus. Information about teaching and learning can be found under the "learning and assessment" tab: University 2019 prospectus.
For 2018 entry, see the University 2018 prospectus.
Entry requirements for 2019
Our typical entry requirements are:
- A Levels: ABB including Music and/or Music Technology or ABB + Grade 8 Practical (ABRSM/Trinity/Rockschool or equivalent) at Merit + Grade 5 theory (ABRSM/Trinity) at Merit
- International Baccalaureate: 33, 6 in Higher Level Music or 33 + Grade 8 Practical (ABRSM/Trinity/Rockschool or equivalent) at Merit + Grade 5 theory (ABRSM/Trinity) at Merit
- Scottish Highers: AAABB including Music or AAABB + Grade 8 Practical (ABRSM/Trinity/Rockschool or equivalent) at Merit + Grade 5 theory (ABRSM/Trinity) at Merit
We can also accept other qualifications: Other entry requirements for Music and Philosophy BA
English language requirements
International students need an overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component, or an equivalent English language qualification.
If you have a question about your qualifications, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disability and Support
We welcome applications from disabled students and students with a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.
- Support is available from the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service
- Information for disabled applicants
If you'd like any more information, or have any questions, please contact us.