'Listeners' scheme

Upset or annoyed with something at work?

Contact a listener within the department who will listen in confidence and know where to point you should you need advice.

Name Office Phone Email Position
Ashley Cadby D21 24280 a.cadby@sheffield.ac.uk Academic
Jenny Clark D16 23526 jenny.clark@sheffield.ac.uk Researcher
Rhoda Hawkins E43 24524 rhoda.hawkins@sheffield.ac.uk Academic
Matthew Malek E34b 23763 m.malek@sheffield.ac.uk Academic
Matt Mears D29 24289 m.mears@sheffield.ac.uk Academic
David Mowbray E19 24561 d.mowbray@sheffield.ac.uk Academic
Angie Rollinson F10a 24360 a.rollinson@sheffield.ac.uk Administrator
Katie Tehrani F21 24278 k.tehrani@sheffield.ac.uk PhD Student

If you would prefer to talk with someone outside the department:

Contact the counselling service.
For staff: Every member of staff has access to 8 hours of free confidential counselling either on the phone or in person: 0800 028 1947 or www.sheffield.ac.uk/hr/wellbeing/counselling
For students: Register for free counselling: www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/counselling/services

Contact a ‘Dignity at Work Adviser’ to receive advice by phone or email.
A Dignity at Work Adviser can assist you to explore options for informal resolution of the issue and indicate whether the matter is so serious that it warrants consideration under the formal procedure.
For staff: www.sheffield.ac.uk/hr/guidance/eamp/harassment/network
For students: www.shef.ac.uk/ssid/harassment/networkmembers

Summary of University's Policies and Procedure

1) Informal Action 

Talk your manager in the first instance where possible. If not possible, talk to a more senior manager.

2) Mediation 

Mediation involves the appointment of a trained, internal mediator, who will discuss the issue(s) raised by your grievance with those involved and seek to facilitate a resolution. It has proven to be an effective tool for resolving interpersonal conflicts, especially when used at an early stage (depending on the nature of your grievance).

3) Formal Grievance

Raise your grievance in writing. This will probably result in a ‘grievance meeting’ and may result in an investigation. Grievances are concerns, problems or complaints that may be related to a wide range of issues; including your working environment, the opportunities that you have been given for career development or the way in which you have been managed (this is not an exhaustive list).

University of Sheffield Policies and Procedures

Dignity at Work policy: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.448231!/file/DignityatWork-KeyPrinciples-Final.pdf
Grievance Procedure: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/hr/guidance/disputeresolution/employee