Dr Mike Weir
- Room: G11b
- Phone: +44 (0)114 22 23505
- Email: email@example.com
Group web page
Personal web page
Personal blog: Science on Toast
Dr Michael P. Weir was educated at Ernesford Grange School in Coventry, before moving on to The University of Nottingham where he obtained a 1st Class M.Sci. degree in Physics (2006), and The University of Sheffield where he completed a Ph.D. in Polymer Physics under the supervision of Professor Richard A. L. Jones FRS (2010). He has since held positions at the Bragg Institute of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, and the materials science publishing team at Elsevier Ltd., before returning The University of Sheffield for his current position as a post-doctoral research associate.
Mike is currently located in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at The University of Sheffield where he works under the supervision of Professor Nigel Clarke, Professor of Condensed Matter Theory and Vice-President (Science).
Mike’s current research uses the powerful averaging techniques of small-angle scattering and reflectometry to explore polymer-graphene nanocomposites. This research is funded by the EPSRC grant nicknamed ‘GRAPOL‘.
From 1st July 2017 Mike joins a new research project with Professor Richard A. L. Jones FRS in collaboration with the Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge.
Mike is the Treasurer of Inspiration for Life, a small charity with close ties to The University of Sheffield. The charity promotes lifelong learning and the public understanding of science, while raising money for cancer charities, and produces the annual 24 Hour Inspire lecture marathon.
PHY227, Joint Institute of Nanjing Tech University and the University of Sheffield
- Gaspar H, Santos R, Teixeira P, Hilliou L, Weir MP, Duif CP, Bouwman WG, Parnell SR, King SM, Covas JA & Bernardo G (2019) Evolution of dispersion in the melt compounding of a model polymer nanocomposite system: A multi-scale study. Polymer Testing, 76, 109-118.
- Bernardo G, Washington AL, Zhang Y, King SM, Toolan D, Weir M, Dunbar A, Howse J, Dattani R, Fairclough J & Parnell AJ (2018) Does 1,8-diiodooctane affect the aggregation state of PC71BM in solution?. Royal Society Open Science. View this article in WRRO
- Boothroyd SC, Johnson DW, Weir MP, Reynolds CD, Hart JM, Smith AJ, Clarke N, Thompson RL & Coleman KS (2018) Controlled Structure Evolution of Graphene Networks in Polymer Composites. Chemistry of Materials, 30(5), 1524-1531. View this article in WRRO
- Hsu Y-C, Truss RW, Laycock B, Weir MP, Nicholson TM, Garvey CJ & Halley PJ (2017) The effect of comonomer concentration and distribution on the photo-oxidative degradation of linear low density polyethylene films. Polymer, 119, 66-75.
- Gaspar H, Teixeira P, Santos R, Fernandes L, Hilliou L, Weir M, Parnell A, Abrams K, Hill C, Bouwman WG , Parnell SR et al (2017) A Journey along the Extruder with Polystyrene:C60 Nanocomposites: Convergence of Feeding Formulations into a Similar Nanomorphology. Macromolecules, 50(8), 3301-3312. View this article in WRRO
- Garvey CJ, Khan MS, Weir MP & Garnier G (2017) Localisation of alkaline phosphatase in the pore structure of paper. Colloid and Polymer Science.
- Weir MP, Johnson DW, Boothroyd SC, Savage RC, Thompson RL, Parnell SR, Parnell AJ, King SM, Rogers SE, Coleman KS & Clarke N (2016) Extrinsic Wrinkling and Single Exfoliated Sheets of Graphene Oxide in Polymer Composites. Chemistry of Materials, 28(6), 1698-1704. View this article in WRRO
- Weir MP, Johnson DW, Boothroyd SC, Savage RC, Thompson RL, King SM, Rogers SE, Coleman KS & Clarke N (2016) Distortion of Chain Conformation and Reduced Entanglement in Polymer–Graphene Oxide Nanocomposites. ACS Macro Letters, 5(4), 430-434. View this article in WRRO
- Yiapanis G, Christofferson AJ, Plazzer M, Weir MP, Prime EL, Qiao GG, Solomon DH & Yarovsky I (2013) Molecular mechanism of stabilization of thin films for improved water evaporation protection.. Langmuir, 29(47), 14451-14459.
- Topham PD, Glidle A, Toolan DTW, Weir MP, Skoda MWA, Barker R & Howse JR (2013) The relationship between charge density and polyelectrolyte brush profile using simultaneous neutron reflectivity and in situ attenuated total internal reflection FTIR.. Langmuir, 29(20), 6068-6076.
- Hsu Y-C, Weir MP, Truss RW, Garvey CJ, Nicholson TM & Halley PJ (2012) A fundamental study on photo-oxidative degradation of linear low density polyethylene films at embrittlement. Polymer, 53(12), 2385-2393.
- Weir MP, Heriot SY, Martin SJ, Parnell AJ, Holt SA, Webster JR & Jones RA (2011) Voltage-induced swelling and deswelling of weak polybase brushes.. Langmuir, 27(17), 11000-11007.
- Weir MP & Parnell AJ (2011) Water Soluble Responsive Polymer Brushes. Polymers, 3(4), 2107-2132.
- Edmondson S, Vo C-D, Armes SP, Unali G-F & Weir MP (2008) Layer-by-layer deposition of polyelectrolyte macroinitiators for enhanced initiator density in surface-initiated ATRP.. Langmuir, 24(14), 7208-7215.
- Sharp JS, Thomas KR & Weir MP (2007) Mechanically driven wrinkling instability in thin film polymer bilayers. Physical Review E, 75(1), 011601.
Conference proceedings papers
- Mullin N, Weir M, Hobbs J & Savage R (2016) Observing the deformation of polyethylene lamellae by AFM. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 251
- Boothroyd SC, Johnson DW, Weir MP, Clarke N, Thompson RL & Coleman KS (2015) The dispersion and stability of graphene oxide in polysytrene. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials, Vol. 2015-July