OpenPlus entry

OpenPlus entry with the Open University

The University of Sheffield and the Open University have created a flexible way for UK students to study physics. You can spend two years studying in your own time with the Open University, allowing you to combine work with your studies. If you complete this successfully, you can transfer directly onto the second year of our full time BSc Physics or Physics/Philosophy course. You'll then study as a full time student and graduate with a University of Sheffield degree.

You can also choose to study for an additional year to graduate with an MPhys degree. This way, you can do more of your own research because the course is designed to give you the skills you'll need for a career as a professional physicist.

Our Physics courses | Open University

How does it work?

For the first two years you study in your own time on a supported open learning course with the Open University, to get a thorough grounding in physics. You will study at home using printed or online learning resources sent to you by the OU, and have support from your OU tutor and other OU staff. You will also take part in a one week residential school at the OU to learn practical laboratory skills.

During these two years you will have a University of Sheffield physics tutor, and have opportunities to visit the department and participate in undergraduate activities.

Once you have completed the OU sections you will join the University of Sheffield as a full time second year student on either our BSc or MPhys Physics or Physics/Philosophy course.

How to apply

Entry is via the University of Sheffield, not the Open University. Please contact us if you are interested taking this route.

Prof Lee Thompson
Physics Admissions Tutor
T: +44 (0)114 2224577

Department contact details

Entry requirements

There are no formal entry requirements for the Open University part of the OpenPlus course other than an interest and enthusiasm for physics, and a willingness to learn.

Entry to the University of Sheffield degree is subject to you passing the OU component. You will also need an acceptable qualification in written and spoken English – this is normally a GCSE English grade C or better.

There are many equivalent qualifications for international students: Find out more


For the first two years, you'll pay OU fees. We'll then ask you to pay the usual University of Sheffield tuition fees for the rest of your course.

Open University
Fees and funding