OpenPlus entry with the Open University

The University of Sheffield and the Open University have created a flexible way for UK students to study physics.


On the OpenPlus scheme, you can study in your own time initially with the Open University, allowing you to combine work with your studies. If you complete this successfully, you can transfer directly onto the second year of one of the following degree programmes:

  • BSc Physics
  • MPhys Physics
  • BSc Physics with Philosophy
  • MPhys Physics with Philosophy

You will then study as a full time student and graduate with a University of Sheffield degree.

About the course

Initially you will study in your own time on a supported open learning course with the Open University, so that you can get a thorough grounding in physics. You will study at home using printed or online learning resources sent to you by the Open University, and get support from your Open University tutor and other Open University staff. You will also take part in a one week residential school at the Open University to learn practical laboratory skills.

During this period you will have a University of Sheffield physics tutor, and have opportunities to visit the department and participate in undergraduate activities.

Once you have completed the OU sections you will join the second year of your chosen physics degree programme at the University of Sheffield, and study as a full-time student.


Applications to this course are submitted through the University of Sheffield, not the Open University. Please contact our undergraduate admissions tutor, Dr Mack Durham, if you are interested taking this route.

Entry requirements

There are no formal entry requirements for the Open University part of the OpenPlus course other than an interest and enthusiasm for physics, and a willingness to learn.

Progressing to the University of Sheffield part of your degree is subject to you passing the Open University part. You will also need an acceptable qualification in written and spoken English – this is normally a GCSE English grade C or better.

We can also accept other qualifications. A full list can be found on individual prospectus pages - see the courses page for links.

Fees and funding

To begin you will pay Open University fees. Once you have completed this and transferred onto the second year of one of our degree programmes you will then pay the usual University of Sheffield tuition fees for the rest of your course.

Students outside engineering buildings

Visit us

Discover what sets Sheffield apart at our undergraduate open days on the Saturday 21 October or Saturday 18 November.