International students



  • Summer placements
  • Year-long placements
  • Other sources of advice on visas

Summer placements

As an international student, you are entitled to take a work placement during the summer vacation if your visa allows it. If you are unsure of your visa entitlement, we advise you speak to International Student Services for further advice.

International Student Services can be contacted on:

Tel: 0114 222 9679
International Student Support Services   

Placement year

As an international student you can undertake a placement year providing:

  • the placement year is an approved part of your degree programme (The University of Sheffield courses named Degrees with Employment Experience / Year in Industry have approved placements as part of the programme).
  • the work placement does not extend beyond the end of your course.
  • you will remain a registered student with the university.
  • you continue to pay the appropriate tuition fee.

If you are an international student and are considering undertaking a Degree with Employment Experience it is advisable to speak to International Student Services for advice on extending your visa.

Other sources of advice on visas

The Advice Centre provides advice and information on various specialist matters relating to international students. Contact them at:

Tel: 0114 222 8660