Placement year: Degree with Employment Experience (DEE)

Increase your knowledge, skills and employability!

A placement year is an excellent opportunity to spend a year in employment as a recognised part of your degree programme. You can do this via the "Degree with Employment Experience" programme or "Year in Industry" programme.

'Degree with Employment Experience' option is open to most students within the University. The successful completion of a placement year through a ‘Degree with Employment Experience’ will change your degree title top to recognise this, e.g `BA (Hons) Economics with Employment Experience’.

If you are a student in the Faculty of Engineering or Department of Chemistry, you are eligible to undertake a 'Year in Industry'. Please consult with your department for more information regarding this option. The following pages provide further information about applications and finding placements which will be relevant to your placement search.

Archaeology Placement

  • Why should I do it?

  • When should I do it?

  • Do I pay fees during my placement year?

  • Where can I go?

  • Can I do a placement year if I am an international student?

  • How do I find a year-long placement and what should I do if I have found one?

  • What about applications?

  • Where can I get further help and advice?

Why should I do it?

Taking a placement year gives you the chance to:

  • Gain insight into a particular industry or role
  • Take on real responsibility and increase your confidence
  • Apply the theoretical knowledge that you have gained during your degree
  • Gain experience of a specific role, company or industry sector
  • Develop transferable skills and enhance your CV
  • Network and gain valuable references and contacts
  • Increase your employability
placement year student

And it often leads to the offer of a graduate job at the end! A recent survey reports that ‘Up to a third of new graduates are recruited directly through employers’ work experience programmes’ - High Fliers ‘The Graduate Market 2015 Report’

When should I do it?

A placement year would usually be taken in the penultimate year of study, so most commonly at the end of your 2nd year of studying your degree, and lasts a minimum of 38 weeks.

Please note: if you are interested in undertaking a Degree with Employment Experience it is important that you discuss this with your personal tutor first as your department must give its approval.

Do I pay fees during my placement year?

Yes, but a reduced fee. For more details about the placement year fee please visit the University's fees and funding webpage.

Where can I go?

There are lots of year-long placements available in the UK, as well as opportunities around the world, so the question really is, where would you like to go?

If you are thinking about going overseas there are a few extra things you need to think about. To find out more, make sure you read our Overseas placements page.

Can I do a placement year if I am an international student?

Yes, you can, providing that:

  • the placement year is an approved part of your degree programme (The University of Sheffield courses named Degrees with Employment Experience / Year in Industry have approved placements as part of the programme).
  • the work placement does not extend beyond the end of your course.
  • you remain a registered student with the university.
  • you continue to pay the appropriate tuition fee.

If you are an international student and are considering undertaking a Degree with Employment Experience it is advisable to speak to International Student Services for advice on extending your visa.

Contact them at:

Tel: 0114 222 1269
International Student Support Services

The Students' Advice Centre provides advice and information on various specialist matters relating to international students.

Contact them at:

Tel: 0114 222 8660

How do I find a year-long placement?

Placement opportunities can be found in all kinds of places: the University’s own vacancy advertising service myVacancies; employer websites; recruitment websites; through speculative applications; and academic contacts. For more information on where to source placements, visit our ‘Finding placements’ webpage.

Once you have found a placement, the 'Transferring onto DEE' download takes you through the process that you need to follow to get this recognised as part of your degree.

What about applications?

The application process for placements can vary from organisation to organisation; you might be asked for a cover letter and CV, to fill an application form or to attend interviews or assessment centres. For more advice about applications have a look at our ‘Applying for placements’ webpage.