As you would expect, admission to the Department of Politics is rigorous - we're looking for excellent students with a passion for the subject and lots of ambition.
If you want to take your study to the next level with a Master's degree, we'd love to hear from you.
Choose Your Course
Our course and module pages provide lots of information about the wide range of flexible course programmes we offer.
Application and Entry Requirements
You submit your application through the University of Sheffield website, here.
Your application must include several components - including evidence of prior academic attainment and English language competence, academic references and a supporting statement.
- Academic Requirements
We require a good Social Science degree - first-class or a strong 2:1 honours, or an equaivalent attainment in an overseas qualification. Relevant Social Science Degrees include Architecture, Economics, Education, Geography, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Management, Philosophy, Politics, Sociology, and Town and Regional Planning. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss whether your degree is suitable.
We also require good academic references and you should provide details for two referees.
- English Language Requirements
Most of our course require IELTS grade 6.5 with 6.5 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in all other components.
(Please note that MA Political Theory requires an overall IELTS grade of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component.)
- Personal Statement Requirements
We require a good personal statement of at least 300 words outlining why you would like to study here.
You can find out more information here.
Timetable and Deadlines
Please apply as soon as possible to guarantee your place at the start of the next academic year. The academic year begins at the end of each September (you can find semester dates here).
International Students will have additional visa applications that will need processing, so you should allow enough time for this.
We prefer all students to begin at the very start of the semester, however we will consider applicants for up to two weeks after the academic year begins.
- When you apply the Graduate Admissions team will issue an acknowledgement letter with your unique Graduate Application number. You should use this in all subsequent correspondence.
- If you are offered a place you will be issued with further information about joining the University of Sheffield, including about accommodation.
- If you accept an unconditional offer, preregistration for modules will begin in August. You will receive an email inviting your to preregister. You can preview the modules here.
- Academic: A good Social Science degree (first-class or strong 2:1 honours degree; or equivalent attainment in an overseas qualification).
- English Language:
IELTS 6.5 (with 6.5 in writing and 5.5 in all other components) for most courses.
More information about entry requirements for International Students.
- Good Personal Statement
- Good References
- The Academic Year begins in September.
- Apply with enough time for your application to be considered before this.