Frequently Asked Questions

What information does the prospectus give me?

The prospectus highlights our research areas, research centres and groundbreaking research projects. It also includes interviews with our research students and their supervisors, and explains how to prepare for your PhD.

You can find out more about research areas, potential supervisors and existing PhD projects on department webpages.

Department webpages

What qualifications do I need?

Entry requirements vary depending on what you study. Some subjects require a masters degree and others expect a good bachelors degree – a 2:1 or a First. We also take into account any relevant work experience you may have.

Sometimes professional qualifications will be accepted, but this would need to be discussed with the relevant department.

Admission information for International students

Non-native English speakers will also need to provide evidence of their English language ability.

Acceptable English language qualifications

What is the closing date (deadline) for applications?

We recommend starting in September or October, but you can usually start at any point in the year.

Therefore in most cases there are no specific deadlines for submitting your application. You can state your preferred start date on your application, although this will need to be confirmed by the academic department.

You should leave yourself plenty of time between applying and your start date in which to make arrangements to come to Sheffield if we make you an offer, particularly if you are an International applicant and need to arrange a student visa.

How long does it take for a decision to be made?

This varies from department to department. As a rough guide it would normally be six weeks.

Can I research by distance learning?

It is possible to undertake the majority of the research for a PhD degree away from the University at an approved location.

For EU and International students not resident in the UK the University operates a Remote Location scheme, through which you can study for a University of Sheffield MPhil or PhD by undertaking research at an overseas institution.

UK students who wish to pursue part of their programme of research away from the University, and EU and International students who do not qualify for the Remote Location scheme, must submit, through their academic department, a case for faculty approval.

For more detailed information please see our Research Away from the University pages:

Research away from the University

Can I transfer onto a postgraduate research degree?

We are normally able to consider applications from students wishing to transfer from another university. You should start by contacting the relevant academic department in the first instance. Please include in your enquiry full details of your previous qualifications, the research you are undertaking and the date on which you started, and your progress so far.

Please note that University regulations require transfer students to have at least 24 months of their period of research (not including writing up) remaining at the point they transfer to Sheffield.

Before you can register at Sheffield you will need to withdraw from your current institution, but you should not arrange your withdrawal until your transfer to Sheffield has been confirmed.

Ask Sheffield

If you have any further questions please Ask Sheffield:

Ask Sheffield