Visiting research students

If you are currently registered on a PhD at another institution and would like to undertake a period of research at the University of Sheffield, you may wish to consider applying as a visiting student. A visiting student is any student who conducts research at the University but who does not undertake a full degree programme, and therefore does not qualify for the award of a University of Sheffield qualification.

How to apply

In the first instance you should contact the academic department in which you would like to study to discuss your plans. When you are ready to submit a formal application, you can do so using our online application form:

Visiting research student application form

When you have submitted the form it will be considered by the relevant academic department(s). When they have made a decision we will write to you to tell you what this is.

If we are able to offer you a place, we will email you an offer letter confirming the details of the study for which you have been accepted, including the period of registration at the University and the tuition fees.

When you have finished your period of registration, upon request we will provide a certificate of attendance and/or a transcript confirming the material you have studied and the results of any assessments you have completed. These can either be issued to you or forwarded to your own institution.

Tuition fees

Fees for visiting students are charged pro rata of the standard Sheffield fee (Home or Overseas as appropriate). For example, if you study for six months you will be charged half the full-time fee for one year's study.

Standard tuition fee rates are set out on our Student Fees webpages:

Postgraduate research tuition fees

English language requirements

All visiting students are required to demonstrate that they have sufficient English language to study at the University. For International students, this is also a requirement of the visa application process. You can find more information on our English language requirements webpages:

English language requirements

Visa requirements

If you require a visa to study in the UK, the type of visa you apply for depends on how long you will spend in the UK.

Visiting students studying in the UK for more than six months must apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa. To apply for this type of visa, students need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. The CAS number is arranged by the institution where the student intends to study, and confirms that they have accepted an Unconditional offer of a study place. You can find information about how and when the University of Sheffield will arrange your CAS number, and what you need to do, on our CAS application webpages:

CAS number applications

Visiting students studying in the UK for six months or less can choose to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa or a Short Term Student Visa. The Admissions Service will email you after you have accepted an Unconditional offer with information about each type of visa so you can decide which one best suits your needs.

ATAS requirements

Visiting students studying in certain science and engineering departments will require ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance from the UK government before they can arrange their visa to study in the UK. We will let you know if this applies to you. You can find more information on our ATAS webpages:

Academic Technology Approval Scheme


Visiting students are able to apply for University accommodation, although we cannot guarantee them a place. We will tell you more about this if you accept an offer of a study place.

WUN Research Mobility students

The University of Sheffield welcomes applications from incoming Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) visiting research students under the Research Mobility Programme (RMP).

You should use the same application form as a standard visiting student and tick the relevant WUN box. Please note that WUN students are not normally required to pay tuition fees.

More information about the scheme is available on the WUN webpages:

WUN Research Mobility Programme

Further information

Semester dates
Estimated living costs

If you have any general questions about studying at the University of Sheffield, please Ask Sheffield:

Ask Sheffield