Join the world class
Postgraduate study at the University of Sheffield means learning alongside students who come from 153 countries. Come and change the world with us.
Join our community of talented postgraduate students
This online open day is your chance to discover more about our world-class university and explore the courses you're interested in. Online talks led by experts take you through the application process, funding and scholarships, subject areas, career opportunities, support services and more.
Not sure where to start, or missed your live ‘meet the department’ session? Chat now to a member of our friendly event team who can point you in the right direction.
Sheffield will be awarding hundreds of scholarships to support exceptional home and international students starting taught postgraduate courses in 2021. Home-fee paying students who achieve a first in their undergraduate degree and/or meet at least one of our widening participation criteria, can apply for one of over 100 Sheffield Postgraduate Scholarships worth £10,000 each.
For international students who meet the eligibility criteria, we are delighted to offer 150 competitive awards worth 25% of the original tuition fee through our International Postgraduate Taught Merit Scholarships.
Find out more about these and other funding opportunities in the Finance and Funding section below.
With on-demand videos exploring courses and live 'Meet the Department' sessions.
Arts and Humanities
You'll find department sessions for: Archaeology, Digital Humanities Institute, English, East Asian Studies, History, Interdisciplinary Biblical Studies, Languages and Cultures, Music, Philosophy.
Engineering and Computer Science
You'll find department sessions for: Aerospace Engineering, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical and Biological Engineering, Civil and Structural Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
Medicine, Dentistry and Health
You'll find department sessions for: Dentistry, Health and Related Research, Human Communication Sciences, Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease, Neuroscience, Nursing and Midwifery, Oncology and Metabolism
You'll find department sessions for: Architecture, Economics, Education, Geography, Information School, Journalism, Landscape Architecture, Law, Management (Business and Accounting), Politics and International Relations, Sheffield Methods Institute, Sociological Studies, Urban Studies and Planning
You'll find department sessions for: Animal and Plant Sciences, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics and Astronomy, Psychology
Find out about the costs of postgraduate taught study, and all the support available to help meet these costs for UK and International students, from our Financial Support Team.
Information about courses that attract funding from the NHS can be found on our NHS funding web page. This includes the MMedSci Nursing Studies, MMedSci Speech and Language Therapy and MA Social Work courses.
More ways to explore finance and funding
- Explore what scholarships and other sources of funding may be open to you via our Student Funding Calculator
- Find out how much your postgraduate taught course will cost by browsing postgraduate courses or using our fees look-up tool
- Explore additional forms of support and funding on offer via our postgraduate funding table
- Sheffield Graduates can take advantage of a discount on tuition fees thanks to our Alumni Rewards scheme
- If you'll be paying international fees, see our section for international students
Most postgraduate applications at Sheffield are submitted through our online application form. Here we take you through the application process.
More ways to explore the application process
Find all the key information about how to apply for postgraduate taught study
Our accommodation is a smart choice for postgraduates. It’s easy to arrange and you don’t have the hassle of dealing with landlords or letting agents. There are 6,000 students living across our residences, in modern apartment blocks, flats and houses, providing a range of self-catered room types, including shared bathroom, deluxe, studios and en-suite rooms.
You'll have access to all of our great facilities, while living in flats dedicated to postgraduate students. This gives you your own space, shared with like-minded and supportive students in a mature environment. At the same time, you'll have the freedom to socialise with other students from across the University.
Sheffield offers a world-class learning environment, both on campus, and online. From outstanding library and IT services to specialist disability support and academic skills development, we ensure that every postgraduate student has the opportunity to realise their full potential.
More ways to explore our library and facilities
- Our facilities offer innovative physical and virtual learning environments, one of the UK’s leading research libraries, and outstanding IT services.
- Disability and Dyslexia Support Service - providing specialist support for those students with a long-term condition or impairment that can affect their ability to study.
- Student Services Information Desk – the University’s one-stop-shop for student related queries
- 301: Academic Skills Centre – an accessible space for all students to explore and develop their learning skills through a variety of face-to-face and online options
Our Careers Service supports you throughout your course – and for up to three years after you graduate. We'll help you develop your skills and attributes, explore career pathways, build contacts, and enhance your success in applications for part-time work, placements and graduate jobs.
We work hard to find opportunities that will provide the experience you need to succeed. Our collaborations ensure that our students and graduates have access to a wide range of local, national and international employers.
More ways to explore your future career
- See where postgraduate study at Sheffield has taken some of our previous students in our Graduate Case Studies
- Get started on some of our career planning activities for prospective postgraduate students
- Understand yourself and your options on our Careers Service website
- Find further information on our Careers Service website
Joining the University of Sheffield is only the beginning of something very exciting. You'll become part of a much bigger, supportive, fun and vibrant community of like-minded people.
Our Students’ Union is powered by students, and is the place to find support, discover something new, or make a change in the world. It’s home to over 350 societies and sports clubs, fundraising and volunteering opportunities, support services, shops, bars, cafes, club nights, a cinema, and it even has its own nursery. Our students love it too, voting it No1 in the UK for the past four years running (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2017-20).
Take a video tour of:
- Our Students’ Union building – you'll find flexible study spaces, great cafes and bars, and convenient shops, including our pioneering sustainable Zero Waste Shop
- Sport at the University of Sheffield - Sport Sheffield supports participation at every level - from total beginners to elite athletes. Our expansive range of clubs, programmes and facilities means there really is something for everyone.
- Our city - Learn more about Sheffield: the ultimate student city
- Our campus - join four recent graduates on a virtual tour of our iconic buildings and world-class facilities
Our global reputation for teaching and research attracts more than 28,000 students from over 150 countries. If you’re coming to Sheffield from overseas, you’re guaranteed a warm welcome, expert advice and plenty of support.
See our International Student Support page for an on-demand video and further information and resources about immigration, visas and our international student community.
More information for international students
We know that the global coronavirus pandemic has made it difficult to understand what university life will be like.
We hope that the information here gives you an idea of how we’ve been able to adjust to the situation as it’s evolved. Our number one priority is always the health and wellbeing of our students. We’re committed to providing the best learning and student experiences possible, whether that’s on campus or online.
Explore all postgraduate courses
A masters from Sheffield means in-depth knowledge, advanced skills and the confidence to achieve your ambitions.