Current public engagement related training opportunities available from the University and from external organisations.
The Public Engagement team run masterclass sessions throughout the year for University staff and postgraduate students. The sessions cover a range of topics and provide guidance and training for various aspects of public engagement.
For a schedule of upcoming sessions and to book a place on one of our courses, please see our Masterclass webpage.
The NCCPE run a series of public engagement training courses every year, for more information and details of the next session see their website, or register your interest in future training by emailing email@example.com.
They also maintain a list of external public engagement training opportunities which is available on their training webpage.
Media skills training
During the course you will discover how the media works, and how to use that knowledge. You will be shown how to interrogate your work into a story the media will be interested in, and what to expect when the media calls. The tutors will work with you to prepare your story for interview, and you will learn techniques so that you, and your message, come across as well as possible.
The course costs £450.00 and payment is required in full at the time of registration.
How to register
Media training for ESRC-funded researchers - tailor-made for academics no matter what stage of their career, including those with little or no experience of interacting with the media.
The course will:
- Show how the media can be an effective tool to disseminate research and increase its impact
- Help delegates understand what journalists want from researchers, and the news angle of research findings
- Provide experience of being interviewed by a broadcast journalist in different scenarios
- Offer techniques for taking control of an interview and getting a message across
- Explain how working with the media can support research having an impact on policy and practice