We are reducing our impact on the environment through recycling, reusing and reducing; also through best use of technology and by working with responsible and accredited suppliers wherever possible.
We work with the Department of Energy and Environment within the University of Sheffield and within the guidelines of the University Environmental Policy. This can be found at www.sheffield.ac.uk/environment/environmentalpolicy.
We only use wood pulp papers which are manufactured from sustainable and managed forests, and only use paper with a recycled content or with the FSC/PEFC accreditation.
We continually review our production processes to minimise levels of waste, re-use or re-cycle materials and products whenever possible and only dispose of waste via licensed contractors under the University agreement.
All practicable precautions are taken to avoid pollutants escaping into the environment and the designation of specific areas in which to temporarily store waste for disposal is clearly identified.
We only operate modern and technologically advanced vehicles which meet all current emission legislation and run on ultra-low sulphur fuels.
In order to reduce the high financial and environmental costs of energy and water, equipment is only turned on when required. All computers and machinery are turned off each evening.
How we reduce our impact on the environment
- We set realistic environmental targets, manage our waste and develop and train our staff
- We reuse materials where possible including boxes for packaging, scrap paper which is made into pads. We participate in Ricoh's World Wide recycling programme for parts and imaging supplies
- We recycle waste paper/card, toner and ink cartridges
- COSHH records are updated and maintained
- Our delivery vehicle meets current legislation and, short and local deliveries are made in person on foot where possible
- We work with suppliers that have a Environmental Policy/Environmental Management System
- We use only print suppliers that have or are working to ISO14000 and FSC Accreditation
- Our IT Server has been virtualised
- We reduce our printing resources in administration procedures by maintaining email lists for electronic mailing
- We use toner ink with less volatile organic compounds (voc’s), which reduces the amount of chemical exposure and use. For example, EA (emulsion based toner) in our digital print engines