Dr Andrew Thompson BA, DClinPsy, Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy, C Psychol., AFBPsS
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S1 1HD
Tel: (+44) (0)114 2226637
Fax: (+44) (0)114 2226610
BA(Hons) (Liverpool), DClinPsy (Sheffield), Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapists), Clinical Psychologist, Chartered/ Registered Health Psychologist, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. Visiting Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Hull.
Understanding psychosocial adaptation to trauma and illness (particularly where appearance is affected)
My research over the past twenty years has focused predominantly on identifying the psychosocial factors involved in adjustment in long-term health conditions and in acquired injuries that affect appearance (particularly conditions that affect the skin). I have particular expertise with regards to examination of how people adjust with conditions that affect appearance, and my work has largely drawn on cognitive behavioural models (such as models of social anxiety and shame). My research has used both quantitative and qualitative methods to identify the factors that might be successfully targeted by psychosocial interventions.
The development of self help psychosocial interventions for the management of appearance concern/stigma and anxiety in long term conditions (Particularly skin conditions)
I have been involved in developing and testing self-help interventions aimed at reducing distress associated with a variety of conditions that effect appearance. This work has focused on the application of techniques from a variety of models including CBT, Mindfulness, and Compassion Focused Therapy.
Select research funding
Examining the association between parental mindfulness in parental and child wellbeing in childhood psoriasis: Should we test mindful parenting as an intervention, Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Association. £66,097. PI Thompson (Sheffield). 2017
Peer support for people living with visible difference: Development and pilot evaluation of peer support training materials and resources, Vocational Training Charitable Trust. £19,151. PI Thompson (Sheffield). 2017
The evaluation of skin support web resources, British Association of Dermatologists. £11,629. PI Thompson (Sheffield). 2017
The effectiveness of mindfulness based cognitive group therapy for social anxiety symptoms in people living with alopecia areata: A single case series, Alopecia UK. £18,000. PI Thompson (Sheffield). 2016
VR Pain Control in burn care, MRC Confidence in Concept Scheme. £25,447. PI Phelan (SHU), 2016
Acceptability of self-help to build social confidence for young people with Neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1), COEUS Seedcorn Fund. £3000. PI Thompson (Sheffield), 2016
Evaluation of Changing Faces Practitioner Services in Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, and Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust, Changing Faces. £27,000. PI Thompson (Sheffield), 2015
Reducing newly-qualified driver crash risk: Identifying behavioural targets, MRC (PHIND). £187,000. PI Rowe (Sheffield). 2015
Respectful Management of Violence and Aggression Training in Gulu Regional Referral Hospital and Surrounding Districts, Tropical Health Education Trust. £82,748. PI Parker (Sheffield Health & Social Care Trust). 2015
Disease knowledge and shame in historical and cultural perspectives. University of Sheffield Interdisciplinary PhD network. £210,000. PI: Withington (Sheffield). 2014.
Understanding the psychosocial impact of skin conditions and developing learning and teaching resources for dermatology healthcare professionals, METRC/Galderma. £40,000. PI: Thompson (Sheffield). 2015
Can attachment style predict coping and success of coping-based interventions in people with skin conditions? British Skin Foundation. £9757. PI: Lavda (Sheffield). 2013
Reducing psychological distress associated with skin conditions, Tropical Health Education Trust. £4715.58. PI: Thompson (Sheffield). 2013
Data Management Planning and Storage for Psychology, JISC. £36,314. PI: Thompson (Sheffield). 2011
Postgraduate training for research data management in the psychological sciences, JISC. £57,870. PI: Plant (York). 2010.
Developing Health and Wellbeing Clinics, Macmillan. £43,148. PI: Birley (Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust). 2010
Psychological distress and service use among noncardiac chest pain patients. MRC/ESRC Interdisciplinary Studentship. £62,692. PI: Norman (Sheffield). 2009.
Exploring Asian British experience of living with visible disfigurement. ESRC CASE Studentship. £88,504. PI: Thompson (Sheffield). 2006
Emotional responses to disfigurement and coping: a psychophysiological and attitudinal study. ESRC CASE Studentship. £60,000. PI: Thompson (Sheffield). 2003.
Identifying factors and processes contributing to successful adjustment to disfiguring conditions in collaboration. Healing Foundation. £500,000. PI: Rumsey (UWE). June 2004.
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist in the NHS from 1998.
- Qualified Cognitive Analytic Practitioner since 2005.
- Member of University of Sheffield Senate 2010-13
- External Programme Examiner - Trinity College, Dublin 2009-12, Salomons Canterbury Christ Church University 2013-17, Royal Holloway, University of London 2018-
- Editorial Board of the British Dermatology Nursing Journal 2009 - Associate Editor British Journal of Dermatology 2015
- From 2006 - 2013 committee member on the British Psychological Society (BPS), Committee on Training in Clinical Psychology (CTCP) and visiting accrediation team member of other HEI clinical psychology training courses.
- Secretary for the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology (GTiCP) 2005-08.
- Member of University of Sheffield Health & Human Interventional Studies Research Governance Sub-committee 2013
- Psychological Advisor to the Katie Piper Foundation 2013 -
- Vitiligo medical & Scientific Advisory Panel 2017 -
- Special Psychological Advisor to The All Party Parliamentary Group on Skin 2013 -
- Visiting Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Hull, Faculty of Health and Social Care 2013 -
- Member of the operational group for the Sheffield Health & Social Care Trust - Gulu Health Link - http://bit.ly/SHSCGuluPartnership 2016 -
Current Postgraduate Students
- Kerry Montgomery (PhD candidate): Mindfulness and chronic skin conditions
- Ana Coneo (PHD Candidate): Stigmatisation and disfigurement
- Kate Adkins (PHD Candidate): Stigmatisation and skin conditions
- Elaine Clarke (PHD Candidate): Self-compassion and skin conditions
- Iona Shepherd (Dclin Psy) Experience of facial prosthesis use
- Jessica Lane (Dclin Psy) Self–help and skin conditions
- Samantha Johnson (MSc candidate) Experience of living with rosacea
Andrew Thompson is based with the Clinical Psychology Unit (CPU) Group
Andrew Thompson is a member of the board of Medical Humanities Sheffield
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Clarke A, Thompson AR, Jenkinson E, Rumsey N & Newell R (2013) CBT for Appearance Anxiety: Psychosocial Interventions for Anxiety due to Visible Difference. Wiley.
- Harper D & Thompson AR (2011) Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy: A Guide for Students and Practitioners.
- Liddle M, Baker S, Smith K & Thompson AR (2018) Young Adults’ Experience of Appearance-Altering Orthognathic Surgery: A Longitudinal Interpretative Phenomenologic Analysis. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 55(2), 238-247. View this article in WRRO
- Krasuska M, Lavda A, Thompson AR & Millings A (2017) The role of adult attachment orientation and coping in psychological adjustment to living with skin conditions. British Journal of Dermatology. View this article in WRRO
- Krasuska M, Millings A, Lavda A & Thompson A (2017) Compassion-focused self-help for skin conditions in individuals with insecure attachment: a pilot evaluation of acceptability and potential effectiveness. British Journal of Dermatology. View this article in WRRO
- Nelson PA, Magin P & Thompson AR (2017) Six of the best: how excellent qualitative research can contribute to practice. British Journal of Dermatology, 177(3), 603-605. View this article in WRRO
- Osinubi O, Grainge MJ, Hong L, Ahmed A, Batchelor JM, Grindlay D, Thompson AR & Ratib S (2017) The prevalence of psychological co-morbidity in people with vitiligo: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. British Journal of Dermatology. View this article in WRRO
- Johnston SA, Krasuska M, Millings A, Lavda AC & Thompson AR (2017) Experiences of rosacea and its treatment: An interpretative phenomenological analysis. British Journal of Dermatology. View this article in WRRO
- Montgomery K, White C & Thompson AR (2017) A mixed methods survey of social anxiety, anxiety, depression and wig use in alopecia. BMJ Open, 7(4). View this article in WRRO
- Conea A, Thompson AR, Lavda A & The Appearance Research Collaboration (2017) The influence of optimism, social support and anxiety on aggression in a sample of dermatology patients. An analysis of cross-sectional data. British Journal of Dermatology, 176(5), 1187-1194. View this article in WRRO
- Thompson AR & Bewley AP (2017) Meeting the psychological needs of dermatology patients. British Journal of Dermatology, 176(4), 858-859. View this article in WRRO
- Ablett K & Thompson AR (2016) Parental, child, and adolescent experience of chronic skin conditions: A meta-ethnography and review of the qualitative literature. Body Image, 19, 175-185. View this article in WRRO
- Montgomery K, Norman P, Messenger A & Thompson AR (2016) The importance of mindfulness in psychosocial distress and quality of life in dermatology patients. British Journal of Dermatology, 175(3), 930-936. View this article in WRRO
- Macleod R, Shepherd L & Thompson AR (2016) Posttraumatic stress symptomatology and appearance distress following burn injury: An interpretative phenomenological analysis. Health Psychology, 35(11), 1197-1204. View this article in WRRO
- Homer CV, Tod AM, Thompson AR, Allmark P & Goyder E (2016) Expectations and patients’ experiences of obesity prior to bariatric surgery: a qualitative study. BMJ Open, 6(2), e009389-e009389. View this article in WRRO
- Hague B, Sills & Thompson AR (2015) An evaluation of the benefits to a UK Health Care Trust working in a partnership with a hospital in Northern Uganda: International partnership working in mental health. Globalization and Health. View this article in WRRO
- Nelson PA & Thompson AR (2015) Judging quality in qualitative dermatology research: the science and the ‘art’. British Journal of Dermatology, 173(6), 1351-1352. View this article in WRRO
- Webster R, Thompson A & Norman PD (2015) ‘Everything's fine, so why does it happen?’ A qualitative investigation of patients' perceptions of noncardiac chest pain. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(13-14), 1936-1945. View this article in WRRO
- Moss TP, Lawson V & White P (2015) Identification of the underlying factor structure of the Derriford Appearance Scale 24. PeerJ, 3, e1070-e1070. View this article in WRRO
- Liddle MJ, Baker SR, Smith KG & Thompson AR (2015) Psychosocial Outcomes in Orthognathic Surgery: A Review of the Literature. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 52(4), 458-470. View this article in WRRO
- Webster R, Thompson AR & Norman P (2015) 'Everything's fine, so why does it happen?' A qualitative investigation of patients' perceptions of noncardiac chest pain. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(13-14), 1936-1945. View this article in WRRO
- Thompson AR (2014) Treatment challenges: getting psychodermatology into the clinic. Dermatological Nursing(4), 26-31. View this article in WRRO
- Clarke S-A, Newell R, Thompson A, Harcourt D & Lindenmeyer A (2014) Appearance concerns and psychosocial adjustment following head and neck cancer: A cross-sectional study and nine-month follow-up. Psychology, Health & Medicine, 19(5), 505-518.
- Thompson AR & Taylor N (2014) Developing a health link partnership with dermatology services in Nigeria: Preliminary feedback from a tropical health education trust start-up project. Clinical Psychology Forum(258), 56-60. View this article in WRRO
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S, Thompson AR & McEachan RRC (2014) Illness representations, psychological distress and non-cardiac chest pain in patients attending an emergency department. Psychology and Health. View this article in WRRO
- Shah R, Hunt J, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2014) Starting to develop self-help for social anxiety associated with vitiligo: using clinical significance to measure the potential effectiveness of enhanced psychological self-help.. Br J Dermatol, 171(2), 332-337. View this article in WRRO
- Moss TP, Lawson V & White P (2014) Salience and Valence of Appearance in a Population with a Visible Difference of Appearance: Direct and Moderated Relationships with Self-Consciousness, Anxiety and Depression. PLoS ONE, 9(2), e88435-e88435. View this article in WRRO
- Ersser SJ, Cowdell F, Latter S, Gardiner E, Flohr C, Thompson AR, Jackson K, Farasat H, Ware F & Drury A (2014) Psychological and educational interventions for atopic eczema in children. COCHRANE DATABASE OF SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS(1).
- Muftin Z & Thompson AR (2013) A systematic review of self-help for disfigurement: Effectiveness, usability, and acceptability. Body Image.
- McCarthy-Jones S, Marriott M, Knowles R, Rowse G & Thompson AR (2013) What is psychosis? A meta-synthesis of inductive qualitative studies exploring the experience of psychosis. Psychosis, 5(1), 1-16.
- McBain H, Shipley M, Newman S, Rumsey N, Newman S, Newell R, Thompson A, Charlton R, Harcourt D, Moss T, Clarke A, McBain H, Clarke SA, Byron-Daniel J, Jenkinson E & Saul K (2013) The Impact of Appearance Concerns on Depression and Anxiety in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Musculoskeletal Care, 11(1), 19-30. View this article in WRRO
- Lavda AC, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2012) A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological interventions for adults with skin conditions.. Br J Dermatol, 167(5), 970-979.
- Blackburn J, Thompson AR & May J (2012) Feeling good about being hungry: food-related thoughts in eating disorder. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 3(2), 243-257.
- Thompson AR & Russo K (2012) Ethical Dilemmas for Clinical Psychologists in Conducting Qualitative Research. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 9(1), 32-46.
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S & Thompson A (2011) The prevalence and correlates of psychological outcomes in patients with acute non-cardiac chest pain: A systematic review. Emergency Medicine Journal.
- Rayner K, Thompson AR & Walsh S (2011) Clients' experience of the process of change in cognitive analytic therapy. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 84(3), 299-313.
- Thompson AR (2011) A qualitative study of the experiences of people who identify themselves as having adjusted positively to a visible difference.. Journal of Health Psychology, 16(5), 739-749.
- James H, Jenkinson E, Harrad R, Ezra DG, Newman S, Rumsey N, Byron-Daniel J, Charlton R, Clarke A, Clarke SA, Harcourt D, James H, Jenkinson E, Lindenmeyer A, Moss T, Newell R, Newman S, Saul K, Thompson A, Walsh E, White P & Williams E (2011) Appearance concerns in ophthalmic patients. Eye, 25(8), 1039-1044. View this article in WRRO
- Thompson AR, Larkin M & Smith JA (2011) Interpretative phenomenological analysis and clinical psychology training: Results from a survey of the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology. Clinical Psychology Forum(222), 15-19.
- Thompson AR, Clarke SA, Newell RJ & Gawkrodger DJ (2010) Vitiligo linked to stigmatization in British South Asian women: A qualitative study of the experiences of living with vitiligo. British Journal of Dermatology, 163(3), 481-486.
- Lavda AC & Thompson AR (2010) Psychosocial impact of skin conditions: Interventions for nurses.. Dermatological Nursing, 9, 38-41.
- Sheeran P, Thompson AR & Palayiwa A (2010) Words will never hurt me": Implementation Intentions Regulate Attention to Stigmatising Comments about Appearance.. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 575-598.
- Martindale SJ, Chambers E & Thompson AR (2009) Clinical psychology service users' experiences of confidentiality and informed consent: A qualitative analysis. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 82(4), 355-368.
- Johnson H, Thompson A & Downs M (2009) Non-Western interpreters' experiences of trauma: The protective role of culture following exposure to oppression. Ethnicity and Health, 14(4), 407-418.
- Allmark P, Boote J, Chambers E, Clarke A, McDonnell A, Thompson AR & Tod A (2009) Ethical issues in the use of in-depth interviews: literature review and discussion. Research Ethics Review(2), 48-54.
- Donnison J, Thompson AR & Turpin G (2009) A qualitative exploration of communication within the community mental health team.. Int J Ment Health Nurs, 18(5), 310-317.
- Thompson AR & Broom L (2009) Positively managing intrusive reactions to disfigurement: An interpretative phenomenological analysis of naturalistic coping.. Diversity in Health and Care, 171-180.
- Thompson AR, Wilde E & Boon K (2009) The development of group cognitive behavioural therapy for the treatment of road traffic accident related posttraumatic stress disorder: A pilot study.. The Cognitive Behavioural Therapis(1), 32-42.
- Clarke SA, Newell R & Thompson A (2008) A qualitative investigation of change and stability in psychological adjustment to appearance. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, 23, 87-87.
- Thompson AR, Powis J & Carradice A (2008) Community psychiatric nurses' experience of working with people who engage in deliberate self-harm: Feature Article. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 17(3), 153-161.
- Thompson AR, Donnison J, Warnock-Parkes E, Turpin G, Turner J & Kerr IB (2008) Multidisciplinary community mental health team staff's experience of a 'skills level' training course in cognitive analytic therapy. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 17(2), 131-137.
- Saradjian A, Thompson AR & Datta D (2008) The experience of men using an upper limb prosthesis following amputation: Positive coping and minimizing feeling different. Disability and Rehabilitation, 30(11), 871-883.
- Marriott C & Thompson AR (2008) Managing threats to femininity: Personal and interpersonal experience of living with vulval pain. Psychology and Health, 23(2), 243-258.
- Johnson H & Thompson A (2008) The development and maintenance of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in civilian adult survivors of war trauma and torture: A review. Clinical Psychology Review, 28(1), 36-47.
- Biggerstaff D & Thompson AR (2008) Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA): A qualitative methodology of choice in healthcare research. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 5(3), 214-224.
- Clarke ZJ, Thompson AR, Buchan L & Combes H (2008) Parents' experiences of pain and discomfort in people with learning disabilities. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 36(2), 84-90.
- Edwards CR, Thompson AR & Blair A (2007) An 'overwhelming illness': Women's experiences of learning to live with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis. Journal of Health Psychology, 12(2), 203-214.
- Grandfield TA, Thompson AR & Turpin G (2005) An attitudinal study of responses to a range of dermatological conditions using the Implicit Association Test. Journal of Health Psychology, 10(6), 821-829.
- Lobeck M, Thompson AR & Shankland MC (2005) The experience of stroke for men in retirement transition. Qualitative Health Research, 15(8), 1022-1036.
- Grandfield T, Thompson A & Turpin G (2005) Exploring attitudinal responses to dermatological conditions using psychophysiology, implicit reactions and individual differences. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, 20, 99-99.
- Nicholl C & Thompson A (2004) The psychological treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in adult refugees: A review of the current state of psychological therapies. Journal of Mental Health, 13(4), 351-362.
- Thompson AR, Kent G & Smith JA (2002) Living with vitiligo: Dealing with difference. British Journal of Health Psychology, 7(2), 213-225.
- Thompson AR & Beail N (2002) The treatment of auto-erotic asphyxiation in a man with severe intellectual disabilities: The effectiveness of a behavioural and educational programme. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 15(1), 36-47.
- Thompson A & Kent G (2001) Adjusting to disfigurement: Processes involved in dealing with being visibly different. Clinical Psychology Review, 21(5), 663-682.
- Peace KA, Orme SM, Sebastian JP, Thompson AR, Barnes S, Ellist A & Belchetz PE (1997) The effect of treatment variables on mood and social adjustment in adult patients with pituitary disease. Clinical Endocrinology, 46(4), 445-450.
- Peace KA, Orme SM, Thompson AR, Padayatty S, Ellis AW & Belchetz PE (1997) Cognitive dysfunction in patients treated for pituitary tumours. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 19(1), 1-6.
- Webster R, Thompson A, Norman PD & Goodacre S () The acceptability and feasibility of an anxiety reduction intervention for emergency department patients with non-cardiac chest pain. Psychology, Health & Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Hammond S, Thompson AR & Parker K () Evaluation of Prevention and Management of Violence / Aggression (RESPECT) Training on a Mental Health Ward in Gulu, Northern Uganda.. African Journal of Traumatic Stress, 33-39. View this article in WRRO
- Hammond S, Thompson AR & Parker K () Evaluation of Prevention and Management of Violence / Aggression (RESPECT) Training on a Mental Health Ward in Gulu, Northern Uganda.. African Journal of Traumatic Stress, 33-39.
- McBain HB, Ezra DG, Rose GE, Newman SP, Appearance Research Collaboration (ARC) & Thompson AR () The psychosocial impact of living with an ocular prosthesis. Orbit, 33(1), 39-44. View this article in WRRO
- Thompson AR (2014) Self-help for management of distress associated with skin conditions. I In Bewley A, Taylor RE, Reichenberg JS & Magid M (Ed.), Practical psychodermatology (pp. 60-66). London: Wiley.
- Webster, R , Thompson AR, Webb TL & Sheeran P (2014) Self-help treatments and stepped care In Emmelkamp P & Ehring T (Ed.), The Wiley Handbook of Anxiety Disorders (pp. 1242-1255). London: Wiley.
- Thompson AR (2012) Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance In Rumsey N & Harcourt D (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance OUP Oxford
- Thompson AR (2012) Skin conditions, Encyclopedia of Body Image and Human Appearance (pp. 738-744).
- Thompson AR & Chambers E (2011) Ethical Issues in Qualitative Mental Health Research, Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy: A Guide for Students and Practitioners (pp. 23-37).
- Larkin M & Thompson AR (2011) Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis in Mental Health and Psychotherapy Research, Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy: A Guide for Students and Practitioners (pp. 99-116).
- Thompson AR & Cash TF (2011) Body Image Issues in Dermatology, Body Image: A Handbook of Science, Practice, and Prevention. (pp. 323-332). Guilford Press
- Thompson AR (2011) Adaptation in long-term conditions: the role of stigma particularly in conditions that affect appearance. In Randall S & Ford H (Ed.), The Textbook of Long-term Conditions (pp. 121-137). Wiley Blackwell
- Thompson AR (2005) Coping with chronic skin conditions: Factors important in explaining individual variation in adjustment In Walker C & Papadopoulos L (Ed.), Psychodermatology (pp. 57-71). Cambridge Univ Pr
- Kent G & Thompson AR (2002) The development and maintenance of shame in disfigurement In Gilbert P & Miles J (Ed.), Body shame (pp. 103-116). Routledge
- Thompson A & Harper D (Ed.) (2011) Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy. Wiley-Blackwell.