Dr Liat Levita, BSc, PhD
BSc (Hons) University of St Andrews; PhD, University of Cambridge
My research integrates methods of behavioural psychology, and functional and structural brain imaging to understand the neurobiological mechanisms underlying developmental changes in emotion, cognition and social function, especially during adolescence. This work is guided by fundamental scientific questions, but is also designed to have potential application in helping to design interventions to increase resilience and well-being during adolescence in susceptible populations. Current research tools: Functional and structural MRI, EEG and psychophysiological measures of emotional reactivity, e.g., electrodermal response (EDA), heart rate, and facial EMG.
I teach on the following modules, on the Undergraduate Psychology degree:
- PSY259 - Critical Skills for Psychologists II
- PSY331 - Extended Essays
- PSY346 - Research Projects
I teach on the following modules, on the Postgraduate MSc Systems Neuroscience degree
- PSY6414 - Neuroimaging
- PSY6431 - Research Project in Cognitive, Systems or Imaging Neuroscience
- Level 2 Tutor
- Member of the Psychology Teaching Committee
- Member of the Staff Student Committee
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Mcsweeney M, Reuber M & Levita L (2017) Neuroimaging studies in patients with psychogenic non-epileptic seizures: A systematic meta-review. NeuroImage: Clinical, 16, 210-221. View this article in WRRO
- Howsley P & Levita L (2017) Anticipatory representations of reward and threat in perceptual areas from preadolescence to late adolescence. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 25, 246-259. View this article in WRRO
- Levita L, Howsley P, Jordan J & Johnston P (2015) Potentiation of the early visual response to learned danger signals in adults and adolescents.. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci, 10(2), 269-277.
- Levita L, Bois C, Healey A, Smyllie E, Papakonstantinou E, Hartley T & Lever C (2014) The Behavioural Inhibition System, anxiety and hippocampal volume in a non-clinical population.. Biol Mood Anxiety Disord, 4(1), 4. View this article in WRRO
- Levita L & Muzzio IA (2010) Role of the hippocampus in goal-oriented tasks requiring retrieval of spatial versus non-spatial information.. Neurobiol Learn Mem, 93(4), 581-588.
- Casey BJ, Jones RM, Levita L, Libby V, Pattwell SS, Ruberry EJ, Soliman F & Somerville LH (2010) The storm and stress of adolescence: insights from human imaging and mouse genetics.. Dev Psychobiol, 52(3), 225-235.
- Soliman F, Glatt CE, Bath KG, Levita L, Jones RM, Pattwell SS, Jing D, Tottenham N, Amso D, Somerville LH, Voss HU, Glover G, Ballon DJ, Liston C, Teslovich T, Van Kempen T, Lee FS & Casey BJ (2010) A genetic variant BDNF polymorphism alters extinction learning in both mouse and human.. Science, 327(5967), 863-866.
- Guo J-D, Hammack SE, Hazra R, Levita L & Rainnie DG (2009) Bi-directional modulation of bed nucleus of stria terminalis neurons by 5-HT: molecular expression and functional properties of excitatory 5-HT receptor subtypes.. Neuroscience, 164(4), 1776-1793.
- Casey BJ, Glatt CE, Tottenham N, Soliman F, Bath K, Amso D, Altemus M, Pattwell S, Jones R, Levita L, McEwen B, Magariños AM, Gunnar M, Thomas KM, Mezey J, Clark AG, Hempstead BL & Lee FS (2009) Brain-derived neurotrophic factor as a model system for examining gene by environment interactions across development.. Neuroscience, 164(1), 108-120.
- Levita L, Hare TA, Voss HU, Glover G, Ballon DJ & Casey BJ (2009) The bivalent side of the nucleus accumbens.. Neuroimage, 44(3), 1178-1187.
- Levita L, Hammack SE, Mania I, Li X-Y, Davis M & Rainnie DG (2004) 5-hydroxytryptamine1A-like receptor activation in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis: electrophysiological and behavioral studies.. Neuroscience, 128(3), 583-596.
- Levita L, Mania I & Rainnie DG (2003) Subtypes of substance P receptor immunoreactive interneurons in the rat basolateral amygdala.. Brain Res, 981(1-2), 41-51.
- Passetti F, Levita L & Robbins TW (2003) Sulpiride alleviates the attentional impairments of rats with medial prefrontal cortex lesions.. Behav Brain Res, 138(1), 59-69.
- Levita L, Dalley JW & Robbins TW (2002) Nucleus accumbens dopamine and learned fear revisited: a review and some new findings.. Behav Brain Res, 137(1-2), 115-127.
- Levita L, Dalley JW & Robbins TW (2002) Disruption of Pavlovian contextual conditioning by excitotoxic lesions of the nucleus accumbens core.. Behav Neurosci, 116(4), 539-552.
- Dalley JW, McGaughy J, O'Connell MT, Cardinal RN, Levita L & Robbins TW (2001) Distinct changes in cortical acetylcholine and noradrenaline efflux during contingent and noncontingent performance of a visual attentional task.. J Neurosci, 21(13), 4908-4914.
- Sesay AK, Errington ML, Levita L & Bliss TV (1996) Spatial learning and hippocampal long-term potentiation are not impaired in mdx mice.. Neurosci Lett, 211(3), 207-210.
- Slocombe KE, Alvarez I, Branigan HP, Jellema T, Burnett HG, Fischer A, Hei Li Y, Garrod S & Levita L () Linguistic Alignment in Adults with and Without Asperger’s Syndrome. J Autism Dev Disord.