Dr Nikki Hunkin BSc, MSc, DPhil
Department of Psychology
University of Sheffield, Cathedral Court
1 Vicar Lane, Sheffield
S1 1HD, UK
Tel: (+44) 0114 222 6522
BSc Comparative Physiology (Queen Mary College), MSc Experimental Psychology (Sussex), DPhil Experimental Neuropsychology (Sussex)
My major research interest is the neuropsychology of memory.
This research has used both single-case and group studies in order to relate patients´ memory performance to their underlying neuropathology. Recent studies have focussed on the hippocampus, and whether it is involved in all aspects of memory or whether its role is limited to recollection and contextual aspects of memory.
Functional neuroimaging collaboration
This neuropsychological work has been complemented by the use of functional neuroimaging to investigate the role of medial temporal lobe structures in normal memory, in collaboration with colleagues at the Universities of Sheffield, Manchester and at the Institute of Psychiatry.
In addition to these theoretical studies of memory, I am interested in the application of theoretically-driven techniques to the rehabilitation of memory-impaired patients.
Teaching and administrative duties
I teach on module PSY301.
Activities and Distinctions
- Peer review of articles for both national and international journals
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Hunkin NM, Awad M & Mayes AR (2015) Memory for between-list and within-list information in amnesic patients with temporal lobe and diencephalic lesions.. J Neuropsychol, 9(1), 137-156.
- Muhlert N, Grünewald RA, Hunkin NM, Reuber M, Howell S, Reynders H & Isaac CL (2011) Accelerated long-term forgetting in temporal lobe but not idiopathic generalised epilepsy. Neuropsychologia, 49(9), 2417-2426.
- Pascalis O, Hunkin NM, Bachevalier J & Mayes AR (2009) Change in background context disrupts performance on visual paired comparison following hippocampal damage.. Neuropsychologia, 47(10), 2107-2113. View this article in WRRO
- Pascalis O, Hunkin NM, Holdstock JS, Isaac CL & Mayes AR (2004) Visual paired comparison performance is impaired in a patient with selective hippocampal lesions and relatively intact item recognition.. Neuropsychologia, 42(10), 1293-1300.
- Mayes AR, Holdstock JS, Isaac CL, Hunkin NM & Roberts N (2002) Relative sparing of item recognition memory in a patient with adult-onset damage limited to the hippocampus.. Hippocampus, 12(3), 325-340.