Professor Peter Totterdell
Department of Psychology
The University of Sheffield
Cathedral Court, 1 Vicar Lane
Sheffield S1 2LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)114 2223234
PhD Psychology ("Temporal Aspects of Well-Being"), Leicester University, 1996.
MSc Cognition, Computing and Psychology, Warwick University, 1984.
BSc Psychology, Leeds University, 1983.
Research Chair, Psychology.
Areas of Expertise
Affect and Well-Being at Work.
Social Networks in Organizations.
Work Schedules and Shiftwork.
Diary Methods and Experience Sampling.
Current Areas of Research
Much of my research has been directed at understanding and elucidating factors that influence people's well-being and effectiveness. In particular the research has focused on the role of affect, including studying the processes through which people influence the moods and emotions of others. The research has often been conducted in organisations and has involved a wide range of occupations, including nurses, police and security workers, teachers, professional cricketers, assembly line workers, and customer service staff.
Currently I am embarking on a 2-year study of the impact of encountering artistic imagination (e.g. fiction, drama) on people's well-being. The project is a collaboration with arts organisation Ignite Imaginations and is funded by Arts Council England.
Previously, I led a 4-yr ESRC project on Emotion Regulation of Others and Self (EROS) with co-investigators from five UK Universities (Sheffield, Oxford, Wolverhampton, Manchester and Reading). The project examined a range of fundamental and applied problems concerning how people regulate their own emotions and the emotions of other people. See www.erosresearch.org
Current research is focusing on: imagination; affective presence; emotions.
Arts Council England. "How people's encounters with artistic imagination impact psyscological well-being" (2017-2018). Principal Investigator in Collaboration with Ignite Imaginations. Amount: £170,034. www.artscouncil.org.uk/research-grants-programme-2015-2018/research-grants-programme-round-1-successful-applicants
ESRC Large Grant (RES-060250044). "Emotion Regulation of Others and Self (EROS): A Collaborative Research Network" (2008-2013). Principal investigator (involves investigators from 5 UK Universities). Amount: £2,167,970 (plus 3 attached studentships £209,170). www.erosresearch.org
Fellow of the British Psychological Society (FBPsS)
Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol)
Module Organiser and Lecturer for PSY344: The Science of Emotion
Alternative Web Profiles
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Totterdell PA & Niven K (2014) Workplace Moods and Emotions: A Review of Research. Charleston, SC: Createspace Independent Publishing. View this article in WRRO
- Totterdell P & Niven K (2012) Should I Strap a Battery to My Head? (And Other Questions About Emotion). CreateSpace.
- Curling L, Kellett S, Totterdell P, Parry G, Hardy G & Berry K (2017) Treatment of obsessive morbid jealousy with cognitive analytic therapy: An adjudicated hermeneutic single-case efficacy design evaluation. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Berrios R, Totterdell P & Kellett S (2017) Individual differences in mixed emotions moderate the negative consequences of goal conflict on life purpose. Personality and Individual Differences, 110, 18-22. View this article in WRRO
- Lane AM, Terry PC, Devonport TJ, Friesen AP & Totterdell PA (2017) A Test and Extension of Lane and Terry’s (2000) Conceptual Model of Mood-Performance Relationships Using a Large Internet Sample. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 470-470. View this article in WRRO
- Berrios R, Totterdell P & Kellett S (2017) When Feeling Mixed Can Be Meaningful: The Relation Between Mixed Emotions and Eudaimonic Well-Being. Journal of Happiness Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Martínez-Iñigo D, Bermejo-Pablos C & Totterdell P (2016) The Boomerang Effect: How Nurses’ Regulation of Patients’ Affect Associates With Their Own Emotional Exhaustion and Affective Experiences.. International Journal of Stress Management. View this article in WRRO
- Madrid HP, Totterdell P & Niven K (2016) Does Leader-Affective Presence Influence Communication of Creative Ideas Within Work Teams?. Emotion, 16(6), 798-802. View this article in WRRO
- Poerio GL, Kellett S & Totterdell PA (2016) Tracking potentiating states of dissociation: An intensive clinical case study of sleep, daydreaming, mood, and depersonalization/derealization. Frontiers in Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Kellett S, Simmonds-Buckley M & Totterdell P (2016) Testing the Effectiveness of Cognitive Analytic Therapy for Hypersexuality Disorder: An Intensive Time-Series Evaluation. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- Lane AM, Totterdell P, MacDonald I, Devonport TJ, Friesen AP, Beedie CJ, Stanley D & Nevill A (2016) Brief Online Training Enhances Competitive Performance: Findings of the BBC Lab UK Psychological Skills Intervention Study. Frontiers in Psychology, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Martínez-Íñigo D & Totterdell P (2016) The mediating role of distributive justice perceptions in the relationship between emotion regulation and emotional exhaustion in healthcare workers. Work & Stress, 30(1), 26-45. View this article in WRRO
- Poerio GL, Totterdell P, Emerson L-M & Miles E (2016) Social Daydreaming and Adjustment: An Experience-Sampling Study of Socio-Emotional Adaptation During a Life Transition. Frontiers in Psychology, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Madrid HP, Totterdell P, Niven K & Barros E (2016) Leader affective presence and innovation in teams.. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101(5), 673-686. View this article in WRRO
- Poerio GL, Totterdell P, Emerson L-M & Miles E (2016) Helping the heart grow fonder during absence: Daydreaming about significant others replenishes connectedness after induced loneliness. Cognition and Emotion, 30(6), 1197-1207. View this article in WRRO
- Martínez-Íñigo D, Mercado F & Totterdell P (2015) Using interpersonal affect regulation in simulated healthcare consultations: an experimental investigation of self-control resource depletion. Frontiers in Psychology, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Poerio GL, Totterdell P, Emerson L-M & Miles E (2015) Love is the triumph of the imagination: Daydreams about significant others are associated with increased happiness, love and connection. Consciousness and Cognition, 33, 135-144. View this article in WRRO
- Berrios R, Totterdell P & Kellett S (2015) Eliciting mixed emotions: a meta-analysis comparing models, types, and measures. Frontiers in Psychology, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Hallam GP, Webb TL, Sheeran P, Miles E, Wilkinson ID, Hunter MD, Barker AT, Woodruff PWR, Totterdell P, Lindquist KA & Farrow TFD (2015) The Neural Correlates of Emotion Regulation by Implementation Intentions. PLOS ONE, 10(3), e0119500-e0119500. View this article in WRRO
- Webb TL, Totterdell P & Ibar DNH (2015) Foundations and Extensions for the Extended Model: More on Implicit and Explicit Forms of Emotion Regulation. Psychological Inquiry, 26(1), 123-129. View this article in WRRO
- Berrios R, Totterdell P & Kellett S (2015) Investigating goal conflict as a source of mixed emotions. Cognition and Emotion, 29(4), 755-763. View this article in WRRO