Moving institution and grant transfer

Grants and contracts may be transferred when an investigator moves to another institution.

For projects governed by contracts (e.g. industry funded, government department funded), it is usual for the contract to be terminated and a new contract negotiated with the institution to which the project will transfer.

For awards made by Research Councils, charities and other grant making bodies the funding body will usually transfer the unspent portion of the funding. Both the institution releasing the grant and the institution receiving it must provide written agreement to the relevant funding body. The Pricing & Contracts Team, Research & Innovation Services will co-ordinate this process for you.

When transferring grants into Sheffield, the department accepting the grant should complete an URMS based on an estimate of the project costs at Sheffield.

The Pricing & Contracts Team co-ordinates grant transfers and can provide advice on the processes required in each set of circumstances. The appropriate online form should be completed for transfers in or out of the University. The Pricing & Contracts Team will then contact you to advise on what action will be taken. If you require further information in the meantime please contact the Contracts Team.

Please note that all issues relating to contracts of employment and research student registration associated with grant transfers must be referred to Human Resources and the Research Degree Support Team.