myPublications FAQ


I can't access myPublications

myPublications is available to: all academic staff, research staff, teaching staff, postgraduate research students, honorary staff, administrative staff within academic departments and faculties, and selected Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and professional services staff. If you require access and do not have it, then please contact

I would like someone else to be able to do this on my behalf

You can grant access to your myPublications account to a member of your support team to enable them to undertake the full range of activities for you (e.g. accepting new outputs and depositing them to the repository). They use their own account and do not require your username or password. It's quick and easy to add or remove a delegate

All of my publications have disappeared / my account appears to have been re-set

Your account is linked to your personnel ID assigned by HR. It is not uncommon for this ID to change if you move jobs or roles within the University, even if you keep the same username and/or email address. If all of your outputs have disappeared and it appears that your profile has been re-set, it is likely that we can quickly link your current ID to your previous myPublications account. Please contact for assistance.


How do I view a list of my outputs?

Select 'Publications' from the 'Manage box' under the 'Menu' tab to view your outputs. Outputs are collated into three sections:

  • Mine - outputs that have either been approved by you or automatically added.
  • Pending - outputs yet to be accepted or declined by you.
  • Not mine - outputs you have declined.

Why are there a large number of pending publications which do not belong to me?

myPublications uses your name and affiliation to search the millions of outputs in the online data sources and return anything that it thinks may be a match. This method is less precise than ID-based searches and therefore may find records that are not yours (especially where you have a namesake). You should review your search settings for both ID-based and name-based searches.

How do I claim or reject all of my pending publications at once?

Save time by ticking the check-box next to multiple output titles, then use the 'Claim' and 'Reject' buttons at the top of the list.

Why are there duplicate records of the same publication?

It is not uncommon for the same output to be found in multiple data sources (e.g. in Scopus, Web of Science and arXiv). myPublications will automatically try to join together these records together. Occasionally, differences in the metadata will prevent it from doing so (to avoid false positives). In other cases, duplicate outputs have been manually created in myPublications by one or more co-authors. In each case, you will need to remove the duplicates manually.

Outputs have been classified incorrectly (e.g. as a journal article rather than a conference paper)

Change the output type by clicking on the current classification (e.g. Journal article) and select the correct type from the drop-down list.

How do I create a record for an output that has not yet been published (e.g. on acceptance)?

Create a manual record and set an appropriate publication status.

Can I change how my outputs are displayed?

Yes. Publishers often vary in their use of capitalisation or abbreviated journal names. Choose your preferred data source by clicking the star next to it in the 'Data sources' tab of the output record. This version will then be used in any reports and on your website.

myPublications does not import all of the outputs from my ORCID profile

Only publications with a unique ID (DOI, Scopus EID, and PubMed ID) can be imported. These IDs are used to retrieve the full metadata for those outputs from existing myPublications sources such as CrossRef, Scopus, and PubMed.

My ORCID search has failed

The ORCID connection will fail if you have not yet verified your ORCiD account using the email sent to you by ORCiD upon registration. Once broken, the connection must be re-established after properly verifying your ORCiD account.

Can I import into my ORCID profile from myPublications?

Unfortunately no. We would also like to enable myPublications to be used as a source to update your ORCID profile, but we are dependant upon our software provider. We recommend that you export your outputs, and then import them into ORCID.

Metrics and altmetrics

Why can't I see the citation and altmetric information for my outputs?

Ensure that you are in 'Detailed' view (so that the tabs for each output record are visible).

Why are there no citation counts for my output?

Citation counts are provided from Scopus, Web of Science and Europe PMC, and thus are only available if the output has a record form one of those data sources. You can check the data sources for an output on the publication record.

Why do different databases display different citation counts?

The citation data available from each provider will most likely differ. This is not a problem with myPublications. The providers generate citation data by indexing the journals that they cover. Since the range of journals for each differs, this is reflected in the citation counts. Even in cases where the source journals are identical, one provider may process the data faster than another.

Why are the citation counts shown in myPublications sometimes lower than the counts in the data sources?

Citation counts in myPublications are updated every 14 days, meaning there could be a lag behind the online data sources.

Can myPublications include citation counts from Google Scholar?

No. Unfortunately Google does not facilitate the inclusion of Google Scholar citation counts.

Why doesn't the h-index in myPublications match my h-index in Scopus and Web of Science?

myPublications doesn’t download pre-calculated h-index information from any data source provider. Rather, it calculates the h-index from citation information that it explicitly holds against outputs for a user in the system. Outputs that do not have a record from the relevant data source are therefore discarded and the h-index may appear lower as a result.

Open Access

How do I deposit the full text into White Rose Research Online (WRRO)?

It's quick and easy to deposit a manuscript into WRRO.

What version of the file do I need to make available?

The version that should be deposited is the Author Accepted Manuscript, i.e. the version that has:

  • been accepted for publication
  • been peer-reviewed
  • not yet gone through typesetting and layout by the publisher

Most publishers will allow the AAM to be deposited into an institutional repository, subject to an embargo period. The final PDF that appears on the publisher's website can't usually be deposited unless an article processing charge (APC) has been paid for Gold open access.

How do I check the OA status of an output?

myPublications clearly flags all outputs that fall within the REF Open Access Policy with an orange 'In Open Access policy' badge. You can quickly check the deposit status of any of your outputs.


One or more of my grants are missing from myPublications

If a grant is not listed, it could be for one of several reasons:

  • Only research grants with a status of HANDOVER, LIVE, or COMPLETED are imported into myPublications. Applications are not included.
  • Your grant is in URMS but not in myPublications: the most likely reason is that you’re not named as an investigator on the grant in URMS (for example, if you joined the project after the application was submitted). One of the other named investigators can link you to the grant in myPublications.
  • You were at the University of Sheffield when the grant was awarded but it is not in URMS: contact the Pricing Team.
  • The grant was awarded when you were employed by another institution: if the grant has been formally transferred to Sheffield then it should be processed through URMS. Completed grants held elsewhere can be added manually. Click on the +add button in the 'Grant' activities box on your home page, enter the necessary details, and click 'Save'.

How do I add a colleague to a grant?

It's sometimes necessary to link grants to people not listed against it in URMS. One of the named investigators should click in the 'Grants' box on their homepage, find the grant in question from their list, and then in the 'Links' tab click 'Add a new user relationship'. Enter the name of the investigator to be added. They will now see the grant in their own profile, and can link outputs and other items to it.


How do I export my outputs?

Your list of outputs can be exported in a variety of file formats for use in CVs, grant applications, or other documents. Alternatively, they can be exported into a format that can be read by other software, such as BibTeX. In your list of outputs, simply click the 'Export' button at the top of the list and choose your desired export format. Alternatively, to export only selected items, first tick the checkbox next to the title of the output.