Bringing PhD researchers together to find innovative solutions to real issues
Dates: Monday 18th June – Wednesday 20th June
Venue: Kenwood Hall Hotel, Sheffield (non-residential)
Organiser: University of Sheffield Careers Service
Would you like experience of working with professionals from business, education, the public sector, charities, the not for profit sector or industry?
Would you like to demonstrate how you can apply your diverse knowledge, skills and experience to issues outside of your specific research?
Would you welcome the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary team on a live challenge that could result in immediate impact to the local community or a regionally based business?
Could you benefit from gaining direct experience of working as a consultant?
Would you like to expand your network of colleagues and professional contacts?
Could you learn from feedback on your professional behaviour and practice and gain from providing feedback to others?
The Researcher Challenge is a unique event developed by The University of Sheffield Careers Service specifically for PhD students from every department and faculty. It provides an opportunity to work on the current challenges and issues that impact organisations including charities, public sector organisations and businesses who are based in this region. Taking place over three days in the beautiful setting of the Kenwood Hall Hotel, you will have the opportunity to experience working innovatively with fellow researchers in a tranquil yet creative environment close to Sheffield city centre. Over three days you will:
- form teams and build relationships with colleagues,
- conduct consultancy meetings with representatives from a particular organisation,
- develop an understanding of the issues organisations face and the contexts they work in,
- work on possible solutions to a current organisational challenge,
- prepare a team presentation and pitch ideas to your ‘client’,
- network with fellow participants, facilitators and organisational representatives,
- demonstrate and enhance relevant skills and strengths and learn new strategies and techniques
- evaluate your learning and development needs and apply this to your career thinking
Places are limited so you are encouraged to apply to attend as soon as you can. You must be available to attend in full on each of the three days so please keep these dates free of other commitments.