Workshop for Ethics Reviewers
I -Space, Information School, Regent Court, Portobello
30 January 2020 1.00pm to 4.00pm (Registration 12.45pm onwards)
This workshop aims to deliver training in how to review research ethics applications, for members of staff across the University. It is open to all staff, including staff new to ethics review. Existing ethics reviewers who would value refresher training are also welcomed, as the perspective of experienced reviewers makes a valuable contribution to discussions. In feedback from recent sessions attendees have commented on how useful they have found the interactions in the sessions. Those who need to undertake ethical review as supervisors of students, and Principal Ethics Contacts who would like to run their own ethics reviewer training are also welcome.
The workshop's objectives are to:
- Provide a context to the University’s ethics review procedure and help ethics reviewers to gain a better understanding of what the role entails, including use of the online application system;
- Enable participants to gain a better understanding of the type and level of information they should expect to receive in a University research ethics application form;
- Explore the ethical considerations that need to be made by ethics reviewers, and what constitutes appropriate feedback to applicants;
- Provide a forum in which ethics reviewers can reflect on and share their experiences;
- To highlight a toolkit of resources to assist ethics reviewers in their roles.
The workshop’s provisional programme is outlined below. A group discussion lies at the heart of the programme focusing on reviewing real research ethics applications.
|Introduction to the UREC and research ethics with an update on recent developments||Dr Jennifer Burr Deputy Chair of the UREC|
|The University Ethics Review Procedure||Lindsay Unwin, Secretary to the UREC|
|13.35 - 13.50||Ethical Considerations for ethics reviewers||Anita Kenny, Minute Secretary to the UREC|
|13.50 - 14.05||Questions||All|
|14.05 - 14.15||BREAK||All|
|14.15 - 14.55||Small group discussion - risk assessing and reviewing research ethics applications||Facilitated by Dr Burr, Mrs Unwin and Miss Kenny|
|14.55 - 15.40||Large group discussion - feedback and discussion on the research ethics applications||Facilitated by Dr Burr, Mrs Unwin and Miss Kenny|
|15.40 - 15.55||Online ethics resources||Mrs Unwin|
|15.55 - 16.00||Conclusion||Dr Burr, Deputy Chair of the UREC|