Researchfish FAQs

The most common FAQ are available on the Researchfish support site. Some additional questions are:

What should I do if I don't have any outcomes to report?

Where there are no new outcomes to submit, you can indicate this by adding 'not applicable this year' as an answer to the mandatory questions. Remember, you must still click the SUBMIT button within the submission period.

You also have the opportunity to discuss with UK Research Councils when they feel that no further outcomes will arise from an award and request that the award is 'closed' in Researchfish. If you think this is the case, you should contact

Do I have to do all this myself?

You can give Co-Investigators access to specific grants by using the Research Team button on the right of your portfolio. They can then add outcomes to that grant. Likewise, you can add a delegate using the appropriate buttons on the bottom of your home screen. Delegates can access all your grants (whereas Co-Investigators only have access to specific grants). Only the PI can submit the outcomes to the funder.

Do I need to submit outcomes for a grant that ended several years ago?

For UK Research Councils, PIs are asked to provide updates annually during the period of the awards and usually for five years after their awards have finished. Other funders may have different policies.

How do I link my outcomes to a grant?

You need to link each outcome to the relevant award(s) using the attribute functionality. Access a relevant outcome within your Portfolio, then attribute it to the award(s) which gave rise to it by clicking on the small cross icon and 'dragging and dropping' it on the relevant award number under 'My Awards'. The number to the left of the outcome shows how many awards it has been attributed to.

Why does myPublications not directly complete Researchfish for me?

Researchfish is a closed system and does not permit institutions to bulk import information. UK Research Councils are currently running a pilot with selected institutions, and we hope this to be an option in the future.

How will I be contacted?

Emails from RCUK and/or Researchfish will be sent to the email address for each PI that is held by the funder; for RCUK awards this is the email address listed in Je-S. All communications from funders are with the PI directly. PIs can nominate delegates to help them complete information on their grants but the PI is responsible for the final submission on the system.

What should I do if I am no longer at the University or am on a period of extended leave?

The University has a responsibility to confirm annually with the Research Councils which grants are expected to complete an annual outcomes submission and for ensuring compliance of grant holders at their organisation. If there are reasons why this is not possible or appropriate, the University can flag an award accordingly. Please contact Research Services Information and Quality team if you think this applies to you.

What should I do if I can't see one of my awards?

Awards are added to Researchfish when funders supply them with the required information. Depending how frequently this occurs, a new award may not appear immediately. Alternatively, an award may be listed against a different individual (e.g. a previous PI).

If you have issues with Researchfish, please contact

If you have queries related to an RCUK award, please contact

For other awards, please contact your funder.

What information do I need to provide?

In addition to publications, RCUK is interested in the full range of outcome types including, for example, the development of products (medical, technical and artistic), influences on policy setting and any impact arising from research. For a full list of all the outcome types please log-in to Researchfish to see the Common Question Set.