Research information and analysis
What we can help you with?
Research Services provide information on a regular basis to faculties, departments and other professional services, to help them understand and maximise their competitive position. We bring together information from a variety of sources, quantitative and qualitative, to offer the fullest possible picture of the quality and nature of our research output; of the likelihood of success with large or strategic grant applications; of the strength of our research environment, international collaborations and contribution of our doctoral community to our research endeavour. We administer the systems and processes that underpin research activities, internal and external benchmarking and returns (such as the REF), ensuring that the University obtains maximum benefit from information obtained via external subscription-based services.
We provide a broad range of information to support managers in departments, faculties and for the university as whole. View the most recent monthly reports for:
- Research grant applications to external funders
- Research grant awards from external funders
- Success rates by number and value for our applications
- Which individuals within the university collaborate on grants and publication
- Which universities and research institutes we collaborate with
- Which non-academic partners we have relationships with
Publications and outputs
- Publication numbers, publishers and open access
- Citation, collaboration and impact metrics
- Altmetrics, to assess the impact of outputs beyond academia
Postgraduate research students
- Numbers of registered or completing students
- Submission rates against deadlines
- Externally-funded studentships and scholarships
- Existing partnerships outside the UK, including EU partners
- Potential collaborators with similar research profiles to us
- International research rankings
- Consultancy projects and partnerships
- Intellectual property disclosures and licensing
- Knowledge Exchange activities
We can produce information to support your project, finding out how individuals, research groups and the university perform against their peers on a range of topics relating to research and innovation, including:
- Research grants, centres and networks
- Publications, bibliometrics and altmetrics
- Past REF and RAE performance
- Intellectual property, knowledge exchange and innovation activity
- Postgraduate research student provision
- National and international partnerships
- Advisory group and panel membership
The types of project we support include:
- Funding applications: we can find information to support your funding application to help demonstrate the strength of the proposal and to understand how potential competitors may stack up.
- Partnership development: if you need background information about the research strengths of the university to help convince an external partner to work with us, we can help.
- Future projects: when you're developing a business case for strategic investment in a research area, group or centre, we can help you find the information that supports your case.
- Institutional review: we assist with the university's reviews of research areas, finding data that informs how the university's strengths compare to national and international peers.
Who to contact
Please contact Jon Griffiths or Marc Da Costa to discuss how we can help you with your management information.