ScHARR to lead new MRC Alcohol Policy Research Cluster
The Medical Research Council has announced that it will fund an addiction research cluster, led by Dr Petra Meier, through the joint MRC / ESRC Addiction Research Strategy.
Over the coming month, the cluster is tasked with building Capacity for Alcohol Policy Effectiveness Research (hence the cluster's acronym: CAPER). The cluster includes co-applicants from the following:
- University of Leeds
- Loughborough University
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- University of the West of England
- Office for National Statistics
- Institute for Alcohol Studies
- Prevention Research Center (PRC) of PIRE, Berkeley, California
- the Centre for Addiction Research British Columbia, University of Victoria (BC, Canada)
- the University of Melbourne, Australia
The MRC and ESRC's initiative aims to increase capacity of the UK addiction research base and improve cross-disciplinary links between groups, so that the major biological, social and medical problems in this field can be addressed.