Welcome to the ACUTE training portal. Here you will find background information about the trial, training sessions, links to further information, and trial contact details. We hope you enjoy learning about the ACUTE trial and look forward to working with you on the study.
The ACUTE trial will investigate whether prehospital CPAP, delivered by ambulance crews, is beneficial in acute respiratory failure. The trial is being conducted in 4 hubs within the West Midlands Ambulance Service:
Recruitment will commence in August 2017. In order to participate in the trial ambulance clinicians must have completed a short training package covering acute respiratory failure, CPAP use, and ACUTE trial procedures. Further information about the trial can be found on the main study website www.sheffield.ac.uk/acute.
There are 3 short training sessions that must be completed before you are able to participate in the study. These comprise: An introductory module which gives background information about the trial and research team; a clinical module describing acute respiratory failure and non-invasive ventilation; and a study procedures session which covers capacity, consent, patient recruitment and data collection.
The sessions are available as narrated video files (see below), or as annotated PowerPoint slides. Links to the PowerPoint slides can be found on the left. They can be completed in any order, and you can pause, rewind, return to, or re-start the sessions at any point. Each session should take between 5 and 15 minutes to complete. Once you have completed the sessions please click the registration link and confirm your learning.
If you have any trouble viewing the above playlist you can also access the videos at:
- ACUTE Trial Training Session 1: Introduction
- ACUTE Trial Training Session 2: Clinical Aspects of the ACUTE Trial
- ACUTE Trial Training Session 3: ACUTE Trial Procedures
TO REGISTER COMPLETION OF THE TRAINING MODULES PLEASE CLICK HERE. ONCE TRAINING HAS BEEN VALIDATED WE WILL INFORM YOU BY EMAIL THAT YOU ARE READY TO RECRUIT TO THE TRIAL.
MANY THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ACUTE TRIAL.
If you have any queries about the ACUTE training modules or the study please do not hesitate to contact a member of the research team:
Josh Miller (Research Paramedic) firstname.lastname@example.org
Imogen Gunson (Research Paramedic) email@example.com
The following educational materials may be of interest:
Acute respiratory failure
- eMedicine acute respiratory failure topic http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/167981-treatment
- EMcases blog https://emergencymedicinecases.com/acute-respiratory-failure/
- Carbon Dioxide retention in COPD https://lifeinthefastlane.com/ccc/oxygen-and-co2-retention-in-copd/
Capacity and consent
- Mental capacity act 2005 (hyperlink to website)
- WMAS consent and capacity policy (hyperlink)
- Ethics and law for paramedics http://www.mheducation.co.uk/openup/chapters/9780335243877.pdf