Dr Jessica Wright PhD, MA, BSc
The School of Health and Related Research
The University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
Tel: +44 (0) 114 22 24304
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0870
email : Jessica.Wright@sheffield.ac.uk
I am currently a Study Manager based at the Sheffield Clinical Trials Research Unit in ScHARR. Previous to this I managed, and looked after quality assurance, for a busy biobank at the University of Oxford. I successfully completed my PhD in 2015, which focused on the factors influencing the harmonisation of biobanks in the UK. This was based at the University of Leicester Department of Health Sciences, SAPPHIRE group.
Prior to the PhD I worked at the University of Sheffield on several EC-funded research projects investigating privacy, data protection, research ethics and legal issues in medical, and especially genetic, research in Europe. I also took part in the EC-funded @neurIST project in the medico-legal and ethical aspects workpackage, which provided advice and guidance to medical researchers operating internationally.
My research interests relate to medical research law and ethics, with a particular focus on both consent and biobanking. During my PhD I researched what influences (either positively or negatively) the harmonisation of biobanks. As a result I am particularly interested in the development and implementation of standards within busy organisations such as the NHS. Additionally, I am interested in privacy, confidentiality and data protection in relation to research.
- Since 2012 I have been External Ethical Advisor on the EU Innovative Medicines Initiative project OrBiTo (Oral Biopharmaceutics Tools)
- Between 2012 and 2013 I was a member of the Policy and Consent work packages for the UK Technology Strategy Board project STRATUM (Strategic Tissue Repository Alliance Through Unified Methodology)
- Member of the BBMRI.UK Mirror Committee on the Ethical, Legal and Social Issues (ELSI) Common Service
- E-SEE Clinical Trial
- Drafting of the ethical, legal and social issues (ELSI) section a revision of the World Health Organization (WHO) International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) Green Book - "Common Minimum Standards and Protocols for Biobanks Dedicated to Cancer Research"
Please click here to view a full list of Dr Jessica Wright's publications
- Wallace S, Gourna E, Laurie G, Shoush O & Wright J (2016) Respecting Autonomy Over Time: Policy and Empirical Evidence on Re-Consent in Longitudinal Biomedical Research. Bioethics, 30(3), 210-217. View this article in WRRO
- Bijlenga P, Ebeling C, Jaegersberg M, Summers P, Rogers A, Waterworth A, Iavindrasana J, Macho J, Pereira VM, Bukovics P, Vivas E, Sturkenboom MCJM, Wright J, Friedrich CM, Frangi A, Byrne J, Schaller K, Rufenacht D, Narata AP, Clarke A, Yarnold J, Kover F, Schatlo B, Hudak S, Teta P, Blasco J, Gonzalez AM, Lovblad K-O, Coley S, Doczi T, Risselada R, Sola T, Lawford P, Patel U, Singh P, Wickins J, Elger B, Beyleveld D, Wood S, Hasselmeyer P, Arbona A, Meyer R, Hose R, Lonsdale G, Hofmann-Apitius M, Frangi A, Bijlenga P, Hofmann-Apitius M, Hose R, Lonsdale G, Arbona A, Hasselmeyer P, Rufenacht D, Bijlenga P, Summers P, Jagersberg M, Rogers A, Schaller K, Byrne J, Wright J, Wilkins J, Beyleveld D, Elger B, Waterworth A, Wood S, Iavindrasana J, Meyer R, Friedrich C, Ebeling C, Ebeling C, Bijlenga P, Risselada R, Friedrich C, Sturkenboom MC, Bijlenga P, Jagersberg M, Rogers A, Schatlo B, Teta P, Schaller K, Mendes-Pereira V, Gonzalez AM, Narata AP, Lovblad KO, Rufenacht DA, Yarnold J, Summers P, Clarke A, Zilani G, Byrne J, Macho J, Blasco J, Bukovics P, Kover F, Hudak I, Doczi T, Risselada R, Sturkenboom MC, Singh P, Waterworth A, Patel U, Coley S, Lawford P, Sola T & Vivas E (2013) Risk of Rupture of Small Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysms Is Similar to Posterior Circulation Aneurysms. Stroke, 44(11), 3018-3026.
- Elger BS, Iavindrasana J, Lo Iacono L, Müller H, Roduit N, Summers P & Wright J (2010) Strategies for health data exchange for secondary, cross-institutional clinical research. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 99(3), 230-251.
- Wright J, Ploem C, Śliwka M & Gevers S (2010) Regulating Tissue Research: Do we need additional rules to protect research participants?. European Journal of Health Law, 17, 455-469.
- Wright J, Wickins-Drazilova D, Townend D & Taylor MJ (2012) Privacy interests in biobanking: A preliminary view on a European perspective, Principles and Practice in Biobank Governance (pp. 137-160).
- Rouillé-Mirza S & Wright J (2004) Comparative Study on the Implementation and Effect of Directive 95/46/EC on Medical Research in Europe In Beyleveld D, Townend D, Wright J & Rouillé-Mirza S (Ed.), The Data Protection Directive and Medical Research Across Europe Gower Publishing, Ltd.